Principles only, please

Holdontoyourhat

Former Member
Reaction score
To post in this thread, please avoid the hearsay, and stick to published evidence, like the ransom note, weapon, and published testimony.

Also please avoid pointing fingers at individuals or groups, and avoid discussion on any personal or private aspects of the case.

Holdontoyourhat said:
To post in this thread, please avoid the hearsay, and stick to published evidence, like the ransom note, weapon, and published testimony.

Also please avoid pointing fingers at individuals or groups, and avoid discussion on any personal or private aspects of the case.

But we can point the finger at a group of individuals? Just who words things in this manner?
Can we point the finger at that evil SBTC ? Are they a foreign faction? Maybe SBTC stands for some latin phrase? or Greek? Greek, can it be sigma beta theta chi..should we look this up?
Is a fraternity a foreign faction?

Oh to add to this frenzy, did you guys know John Ramsey was president of theta chi at Michigan.

sissi said:
But we can point the finger at a group of individuals? Just who words things in this manner?
Can we point the finger at that evil SBTC ? Are they a foreign faction? Maybe SBTC stands for some latin phrase? or Greek? Greek, can it be sigma beta theta chi..should we look this up?
Is a fraternity a foreign faction?

Oh to add to this frenzy, did you guys know John Ramsey was president of theta chi at Michigan.
DUDE!! Michigan STATE.

We take the difference QUITE seriously here!!:D

Oops, sorry, Irish Mist. Before anyone goes hunting for Patsy's sorority, hoping it's sigma beta..it wasn't it was Alpha Xi Delta.

Author's gender, race, religion, political, etc. affiliations to be derived from the note. (Please don't reply to this post, reply to a sub-topic, thanks).

Author's race: Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, African, American Indian, Indian, or other? Try to base it on the terms and expressions used in the ransom note.

Author's political alignments or affiliations: none, anti-this, pro-that, based on the note?

I think the writer is male, because it would be unusual for a female to have writing this ugly. Look at the word 'difficult' in 'dont think that killing will be difficult'. Thats some ugly writing. It is far more common for a male to have ugly writing.

I could agree, however just in a little sampling of women close to Jonbenet, we have examples of Janet's writing and LHP's first chapter, both are ugly.

I think the handwriting looks more female (but could be male). The language and tone of the note are definately male.

IOW, If you sample the general population, you're more likely to find that the neatness of this writing comes closer to the statistial mean of male neatness, and farther away from the mean of female neatness.

But if you go into the field of experts you will find that sometimes what the general populace sees is not all that is there. I showed the note to an experienced calligrapher who said 1) there appeared to be an attempt to disguise the handwriting and pointed out a few reasons why, and 2) it looked like a female hand. If you spend 20 years or so meticulously and repetitively forming letters you get to notice a lot of things that people who only write the odd grocery list do not.

If your sentence starts with, or could start with 'I think...' what follows is not a fact. It's a thought. That is a linguistic fact.

(can't type today...) Now why doesn't it say edited? Anyway, it is 2x now.

Could you give examples of the language and tone that are male?

I can give you an example:

"Victory!"

Whether your talking college football or war, that tone/expression is 100% male.
Seldom if ever used by women, I'd be thinking sports, war, battle, but surely male.

check out Patsy's 1995 Xmas letter.
'A Mother Gone Bad' Andrew Hodges.

"...and on to victory in the..."

Must make her pretty rare, huh?

holdontoyourhat said:
"Victory!"

Whether your talking college football or war, that tone/expression is 100% male.
Seldom if ever used by women, I'd be thinking sports, war, battle, but surely male

How many corpuses have you examined to come to this conclusion? Do you have studies to support your opinion?

Holdontoyourhat said:
I can give you an example:

"Victory!"

Seldom if ever used by women, I'd be thinking sports, war, battle, but surely male.

That's almost as bad of an analogy as saying because the note was hand written that the person was from a foreign country....

twilight said:
Could you give examples of the language and tone that are male?

OK, for example it says she will be beheaded. I don't think a woman, no matter how sick she is, would say that. Also, it has been said by others that the note contains several quotes from action-type movies, which personally I can not verify. Again, IMO most woman would not be able to quote those types of movies. We just don't care that much about them to memorize the lines. I also think that this use of quotes, if true, points to a younger person authoring the note.

Of course, I could be way off base here. :p

Actually, the biggest lift is from Ruthless People, a comedy Bette Midler made. Bette Midler is not known for her 'guy' type movies. Many are refered to as 'chick flicks.' This would be one of them. Another lift is from Ransom with Mel Gibson. I watched it. I enjoyed it. I don't have a photographic memory, but some people do. It's rumoured that Patsy is one of them. She is supposed to have done a whole scene from a play - Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, I've been told, for her talent in one of the pageants she was in. I think the other line is from a Sandra Bullock movie - the one about the bus. Just saw Ms Congeniality II and I enjoyed this as well.

So, you're going to have a hard sell to convince me that the author was a male and watched 'guy' type movies and memorized the lines. Also, the above are marketed to the biggest piece of the market - babyboomers!

As for 'beheaded' - the only thing I remember about he movie the Godfather - which I don't think I ever even saw, was the horses head in the bed! Does this mean I'm not a woman? Whoda thunk?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back