NYC - Man dies from electrocution after urinating on subway's third rail

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Man dies from electrocution while urinating on subway's third rail. (Daily Mail)
A Brooklyn man was electrocuted to death after urinating on the third rail early Monday morning.

Matthew Zeno, 30, had earlier been to a few bars with a friend before making the fateful decision that ended his life just after 3am Monday morning.
---
What is clear is that Zeno relieving himself on the subway’s third rail killed him by electrocution, authorities said. His friend was also electrocuted trying to save him and is listed in stable condition at a local hospital.
---
more, with pictures, at the link

That's too bad, he seems like a fun type of guy.

Why would anyone walk down there anyway?

The guys on MYTHBUSTERS did a program on the urban legend of death by urination on "the third rail" and found it not to be true. What we see as a solid stream is actually a series of drops falling fast enough that they APPEAR to be solid. There's no way for the electricity to climb up, jumping from drop to drop.

Even if urine conducts electricity (which it may for all I know), you can not electrocute yourself by peeing, according to MYTHBUSTERS.

Of course, I can't verify their experiments, but I think it's at least possible the victim accidentally touched the live rail with his foot.

The guys on MYTHBUSTERS did a program on the urban legend of death by urination on "the third rail" and found it not to be true. What we see as a solid stream is actually a series of drops falling fast enough that they APPEAR to be solid. There's no way for the electricity to climb up, jumping from drop to drop.

Even if urine conducts electricity (which it may for all I know), you can not electrocute yourself by peeing, according to MYTHBUSTERS.

Of course, I can't verify their experiments, but I think it's at least possible the victim accidentally touched the live rail with his foot.

So...pee away? :D

So...pee away? :D

Not saying I'd risk it... :blushing:

(My training is in the arts, not sciences. I'm just reporting what they said on the TV show. I was surprised because I lived in NYC for a decade and heard lots of "peeing on the third rail" stories.)

I've also heard them around the Boston area.

And honestly, someone is peeing somewhere in some subway stations, because man, some of them absolutely reek. NYCs subways seem cleaner and far less sketchy than they used to be, but some of the Boston ones are still nasty and smell, especially in summer.

I've also heard them around the Boston area.

And honestly, someone is peeing somewhere in some subway stations, because man, some of them absolutely reek. NYCs subways seem cleaner and far less sketchy than they used to be, but some of the Boston ones are still nasty and smell, especially in summer.

Oh, there are people peeing in the subways alright. (I haven't been to NYC in years, but when I left they had closed most or all of the subway restrooms.)

But to hit the third rail (at least in New York--I've ridden the T in Boston, but didn't notice the railings), one has to cross the subway tracks, if not actually stand on them.

So one is in plenty of danger, whether or not electrocution from a stream of urine is possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back