CAN Mother whose son was killed by CN Rail train sued for $500,000 in damages

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Ontario mom hit with lawsuit near anniversary of son's death in train collision. (sunnewsnetwork.ca)
LONDON, ON - She thought the visitor had come to tell her that warning lights and gates were about to be installed at the rail crossing where her son John's truck collided with a train two years ago.
She thought it might be a friend, offering comfort as the anniversary of his death nears.

Instead, Sharon Jobson was hit with a $500,000 lawsuit Tuesday for damage and inconvenience her son's fatal crash caused railway giant CN Rail.

"I couldn't believe it. I was shocked," the London-area woman said.

The lawsuit has sparked outrage among her friends on Facebook -- some calling it "callous," sickening" and a "money-grab." The posts include one from the sister of Gloyde Mills, who died at the same crossing 13 years earlier.

The CNR lawsuit alleges John Jobson, 22, was negligent when he didn't stop his pickup truck at the Pratt Siding crossing near Glencoe, Ont., on July 29, 2011. He collided with a westbound Via train, which derailed. Six of the 116 people aboard were injured.

The young farmer died in hospital six days later.
---
much more at the link

As I read the link, the mother isn't being sued personally, she is named as the trustee of her son's estate. So, in essence, the railroad is suing the dead man (not his mother).

Still galling, but it may be a preemptive move to forestall a suit by the victim's estate.

I mention this only because I was perplexed as to how the mother of a grown man could be held responsible under Canadian law for his actions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back