953 users online (150 members and 803 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but Becky Sue Turner's grave is in Woodbine Cemetery in Puyallup, WA. More specifically, the grave is in an area of the cemetery called "Baby Land". So FLEK wouldn't even have to go through the whole cemetery, just go straight to "Baby Land" and write down the names of children that could be possible. Also, since the Turner child grave has the same year of death - 1971 - for all three children, FLEK would have assumed that they had died in some incident - which would improve the odds that she would be able to find a news article with further information.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/wa/pie...er20228gph.txt

So wherever FLEK was from originally, we know that she must have been in Puyallup, Washington for at least a few days at some point probably in 1988. But what brought her to Puyallup instead of another place?

Quote Originally Posted by alllads View Post
    Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but Becky Sue Turner's grave is in Woodbine Cemetery in Puyallup, WA. More specifically, the grave is in an area of the cemetery called "Baby Land". So FLEK wouldn't even have to go through the whole cemetery, just go straight to "Baby Land" and write down the names of children that could be possible. Also, since the Turner child grave has the same year of death - 1971 - for all three children, FLEK would have assumed that they had died in some incident - which would improve the odds that she would be able to find a news article with further information.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/wa/pie...er20228gph.txt

So wherever FLEK was from originally, we know that she must have been in Puyallup, Washington for at least a few days at some point probably in 1988. But what brought her to Puyallup instead of another place?
    I have seen a pic of BSTs grave. I would bet that it is a secluded place where LEK would feel comfortable browsing for a few hours with no one taking notice. Taking the GED under her
    new ID, the multiple states, using BST as a cutout ID, LEK didn't miss a trick. If she had not taken her own life no one would ever have known. In a perverse sort of way I admire her for driving the government nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by kdsmith21 View Post
    I wonder if the Barkers had any ties to any people that we have already considered as possible matches of missing people (Christine, Wictor, etc.? ) or any other missing people/relatives- that could be her or if she just randomly picked this address?
    (snipped)
    Is this just a strange coincidence? I did a quick search on the Barkers that were living at that address. It looks like there was both a Glenn Sr. and a Glenn Jr. In 1959, Glenn Sr. and his wife were living in Boise, Id and Glenn Jr. and his wife were living in Coulee Dam, ID. They had a daughter, named Janice, that was born in 1954 and died in 1959. At the time of her death, they had two other daughters - Nancy and Becky. It looks like Glenn Jr. and his wife were married in 1950, so Becky would have been born sometime between 1950 and 1959. Here is the announcement for Janice's memorial service. http://str.stparchive.com/Archive/ST...2191959P05.php

The records department said that Glenn Jr. and his wife owned the house starting in 1969. I assume they moved from Coulee Dam to Boise at that time.

It looks like that Becky is not missing, but maybe "Lori" knew the family history and used it as part of her inspiration for creating her new life.
    Last edited by ClaireNC; 06-25-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireNC View Post
    they had two other daughters - Nancy and Becky. It looks like Glenn Jr. and his wife were married in 1950, so Becky would have been born sometime between 1950 and 1959.
    That is definitely curious....

I believe GBJr. worked at USBR (reclamation?)-- the only thing I can find on him is that he received an award as a part of the communications department for USBR at the GC Dam. Not like it matters.. Just an observation. Now I'm getting side-tracked.

I was just looking at 7101 El Caballo on Google Earth Street View. It is asingle family dwelling. Does not look like the kind of place where you could rent a room; in other words, you had to live there or have some way to pick up your mail there. The weakness of the Paper Chase was that you had to have a physical address at some point......unless she was able to have the Idaho ID card sent to her P.O. Box. They wouldn't, would they?

If the previous owners say "Oh, I remember her, she rented a room from us back in 1988 for a month - Becky Sue Turner!" then it is back to square one.

Back in the day this method was extensively used to help draftees avoid military service. There were groups of people, one religious denomination in particular, that would help people by driving them to Canada, getting documents, forwarding mail, giving them places to stay. This all existed in darkness and went away when they were not drafting any more, but info n how to do it was still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum P.E. View Post
    I was just looking at 7101 El Caballo on Google Earth Street View. It is asingle family dwelling. Does not look like the kind of place where you could rent a room; in other words, you had to live there or have some way to pick up your mail there. The weakness of the Paper Chase was that you had to have a physical address at some point......unless she was able to have the Idaho ID card sent to her P.O. Box. They wouldn't, would they?

If the previous owners say "Oh, I remember her, she rented a room from us back in 1988 for a month - Becky Sue Turner!" then it is back to square one.

Back in the day this method was extensively used to help draftees avoid military service. There were groups of people, one religious denomination in particular, that would help people by driving them to Canada, getting documents, forwarding mail, giving them places to stay. This all existed in darkness and went away when they were not drafting any more, but info n how to do it was still around.
    I am just amazed of what she accomplished in a 2 month period. Then a ten year gap in work record. I wonder how she supported herself.

OK, theory time. If you go with the path of least resistance and the most likely scenario that ties up all the known stuff

• If she did the ID change all herself, it's likely she lived within 50 miles of the grave of Becky Sue Turner and knew the graveyard previously. It's such an oddly specific place to choose at random.
    • She starts her journey in the Tacoma area, where she's from
    • To get an ID she needed to leave her home state as her photo was probably linked in several ways to her real identity.
    • To get an ID in person (as the web chat confirmed) you need to travel to a state capital
    • Boise is the nearest other state capital to Seattle
    • Once in Idaho she travels to the next state South, Nevada, and sets up a mail forwarding box to an address she's arranged in Texas
    • From Nevada she travels to California (Hollywood related numbers in the notes).
    • From California she travels to Arizona (pages from the phone book mentioned in the ST article)
    • From Arizona she travels to Texas

The journey only fits well if she's from the Seattle area. All of the segments apart from the last are <10 hours, i.e. a day of travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by nickynoodles View Post
    OK, theory time. If you go with the path of least resistance and the most likely scenario that ties up all the known stuff

• If she did the ID change all herself, it's likely she lived within 50 miles of the grave of Becky Sue Turner and knew the graveyard previously. It's such an oddly specific place to choose at random.
    • She starts her journey in the Tacoma area, where she's from
    • To get an ID she needed to leave her home state as her photo was probably linked in several ways to her real identity.
    • To get an ID in person (as the web chat confirmed) you need to travel to a state capital
    • Boise is the nearest other state capital to Seattle
    • Once in Idaho she travels to the next state South, Nevada, and sets up a mail forwarding box to an address she's arranged in Texas
    • From Nevada she travels to California (Hollywood related numbers in the notes).
    • From California she travels to Arizona (pages from the phone book mentioned in the ST article)
    • From Arizona she travels to Texas

The journey only fits well if she's from the Seattle area. All of the segments apart from the last are <10 hours, i.e. a day of travelling.

Salem Oregon is a closer state capital to Tacoma than Boise is, but I am nitpicking. Your basic point makes sense.

I didn't get the answer I was looking for to my question, but grateful they answered one. I wanted to know if she had any SSA listed employment 1988-1997. I was told that she had student loans, some of them may be the reason for bankruptcy.

Rambling: Maybe she knew the older child killed in fire or surviving sister or a close relative of family and story stuck with her. Throwing it out there, could Becky Sue's birth mother be a friend or relative, Aunt?

For some reason, don't as me why, I thought she stated her journey in CA. IDK

Quote Originally Posted by T4Tide View Post
    The Turners resided in Bakersfield when BST was born, and his family members still lived there at the time of her death. I would certainly be aware of someone around me who experienced such a tragedy, even if I wasn't close to them. There is always the possibility that LEK knew of the tragedy, and didn't even have to walk through a graveyard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
    Possibly, but Lori would have only been between 2 and maybe 10 or 12 years old... not sure how much she would remember of a story like that, the names of the children, parents, year, etc... unless her family knew them on a more personal level... that kept the details and names alive by the family talking about it when she grew older (or she was related as someone else said-aunts, cousins, etc..) . Doubt she was reading the news paper at that age or cared much about watching the 6 o'clock news, ( I was more into Howdy Doody at that age) I didn't watch the news when I was that age...and definitely not if she was on the younger end of the age estimates, she would have been closer to the age of Becky Sue. Way to young to remember the fire story.

Possibly, but Lori would have only been between 2 and maybe 10 or 12 years old... not sure how much she would remember of a story like that, the names of the children, parents, year, etc... unless her family knew them on a more personal level... that kept the details and names alive by the family talking about it when she grew older (or she was related as someone else said-aunts, cousins, etc..) . Doubt she was reading the news paper at that age or cared much about watching the 6 o'clock news, ( I was more into Howdy Doody at that age) I didn't watch the news when I was that age...and definitely not if she was on the younger end of the age estimates, she would have been closer to the age of Becky Sue. Way to young to remember the fire story.
    Yes... Well, I don't mean she knew it when it happened, but might have known of the tragedy. For instance, I am aware my husband's grandfather's brother died at age 12 in a freak accident with a plow. I wasn't around, or alive.... but I heard family members tell the stories. Not saying it is the most probable, but it still is possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Or stripping... cash work.. already mentioned she was a stripper, not sure how or where that info came about in the Seattle story... I would be curious to know how they found that tidbit out.. I don't think it was brought up at lunch with the in-laws, ya know... or tea with the daughter, etc...
    Quoting the article,

"He tracked down a few friends and colleagues from years ago. One said she had been working as a dancer at a “gentleman’s club” in the early 1990s, according to Velling. A clue, perhaps. But no one he found knew anything about Lori before 1988."

Although many years have passed since 1990, it's strange that no additional information was gleaned from these friends/colleagues. Odd that even one person knew of her work as a dancer. No mention of any boyfriends/steady relationships, either. Even now that we know about Becky Sue Turner, see the timeline change to becoming Lori Erica Kennedy, and view a page of (secret strongbox) scribbled notes, names and numbers... it's even more perplexing!

Quote Originally Posted by fred&edna View Post
    Quoting the article,

"He tracked down a few friends and colleagues from years ago. One said she had been working as a dancer at a “gentleman’s club” in the early 1990s, according to Velling. A clue, perhaps. But no one he found knew anything about Lori before 1988."

Although many years have passed since 1990, it's strange that no additional information was gleaned from these friends/colleagues. Odd that even one person knew of her work as a dancer. No mention of any boyfriends/steady relationships, either. Even now that we know about Becky Sue Turner, see the timeline change to becoming Lori Erica Kennedy, and view a page of (secret strongbox) scribbled notes, names and numbers... it's even more perplexing!
    So he was able to track down a few people who knew Becky Sue Turner, all of which would have been in the 1988 time period. Maybe one of the persons was a dancer / stripper too. Just thinking.
    Ugh, now I see I need to go back and read it again, I don't remember when she changed over to LEK.

Quote Originally Posted by neesaki View Post
    So he was able to track down a few people who knew Becky Sue Turner, all of which would have been in the 1988 time period. Maybe one of the persons was a dancer / stripper too. Just thinking.
    Ugh, now I see I need to go back and read it again, I don't remember when she changed over to LEK.
    She only used the Becky Sue Turner name for a few months. She obtained Becky's birth certificate on May 20 1988, got her Idaho photo ID in June 1988 and had her name "legally" changed to Lori Erica Kennedy on July 5 1988. So she was "Lori" when she was a stripper.

The detective never said that the people her knew her as a dancer/stripper knew her as Becky Sue. I get the impression that she was generating income by dancing during the 1990's.
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by neesaki View Post

I'm sorry, I think my post was poorly worded. I didn't mean to suggest Mr. Velling spoke to friends who knew BST (I believe the change from BST to LEK was achieved too quickly for that to happen).

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast