1091 users online (197 members and 894 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryager11 View Post
    Also there is a person names Roger Steinbeck who lived in the North Hollywood area. He would be 83 now.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...004003-n_xcl=f
    I think the signature looked real. The letter looked phoney as heck but I suspect she really got a Roger Steinbeck's signature somehow.

Yeah, that reference letter has gotten under my skin. Again, if I wanted to fake a reference, I sure as heck wouldn't use paper with a letterhead. I mean, she could just as easily written a forged letter of reference on a plain piece of paper... I don't get it. I think there is something more to that reference......

The Letter of Reference

The letter of reference from Roger Steinbeck, which is Item 10 in the Seattle Times image gallery, seems important to me. The signature is very confident, and the tone of the text seems appropriate and relaxed (i.e. not an obvious attempt to impress or impersonate).

However, the caption for the image states "An undated letter of reference for Lori Kennedy for both tenancy and employment at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok, Thailand. It's almost certainly a forgery, and investigators say there is no such person as Roger Steinbeck."

This interpretation seems badly flawed when you look at the letter without pre-conceptions. It is written on a piece of guest stationery from the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok, not employee letterhead. Roger Steinbeck does not claim to be an employee of the hotel. He never says that Lori Kennedy worked or lived in Thailand. He refers to her as a former "tenant," not "guest." It's seems much simpler to assume that Mr. Steinbeck was a guest of the hotel, and that Lori Kennedy had been a tenant and employee of his in the US, in the spring and summer of 1988.

As an employer, I've received letters of reference like this, where the prospective employee could provide contact information for the reference if needed. I'm also reminded of old letters from my grandfather to my grandmother. Many of them are on hotel stationery, from the period when he was a travelling sales rep. It simply indicates where the letter writer is staying. In this case, it may also be a subtle class indicator, as the Oriental Hotel was and is an expensive, prestige property.

So, if Roger Steinbeck was real, can he be found? I was extremely surprised to find that there are no Roger Steinbecks at all in the Social Security Death Index. Also, the various internet people-finder kind of sites seem to indicate that there are maybe only a handful of people in the US with this name.

I want to follow the rules on privacy, but I'll just say that in terms of geography, age and apparent profession, one person leaps out as the correct Roger Steinbeck. I've let Mr. Velling and Ms. O'Hagan know my theory, and will leave it at that.

P.S. My hope is that Mr. Velling can compare the signature on the letter to known instances of my "candidate's" signature, regardless of his response if and when contacted.
    Last edited by Bookman; 07-10-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

The Letter of Reference

In her locked box there was an undated letter of reference for Lori Kennedy for both tenancy and employment at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok, Thailand. According to the Seattle times article "It's almost certainly a forgery, and investigators say there is no such person as Roger Steinbeck." http://seattletimes.com/html/localpa...eevidence.html

Here is an image of the letter:
    http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2013/06/20/2021230752.jpg
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Is this paper US 8.5" by 11" or Euro A4 size?

Might be a hint to whether the paper itself is real or fake, although not to whether the info is real or fake.

That's an excellent point about it not saying she worked for him AT the hotel in Thailand. (Which, obviously we can deduce she did not under that name because she didn't have a passport until 1990.)
    Unless I've provided a link, most of what I say is my own opinion. Sometimes, I'm thinking out loud and may explore avenues I don't necessarily think are true, but I'm always aware I could be wrong, so I check other stuff out.

I agree that the signature is confident and it appears to be a bona fide legal signature of someone who has been signing his name that way for decades. Someone forging a signature would not be able to squiggle the letters together that way and more (or all) of the letters would be recognizable.

What we know about Thailand. Here's two real winners for you. Apparently a lot of stockbrokers stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by Owutatangledweb View Post
    What we know about Thailand. Here's two real winners for you. Apparently a lot of stockbrokers stay there.
    ~ I don't believe LEK actually travelled and did not use her passport.
    I'd have to find where I read this.
    Anna Christian Waters Web Page
    www.searchingforanna.com

Anna Christian Water's WS Forum
    www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Search FB: Anna Christian Waters
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/annachristianwaters/

Quote Originally Posted by SideKick View Post
    ~ I don't believe LEK actually travelled and did not use her passport.
    I'd have to find where I read this.
    To clarify, the passport you are referring to was issued to Lori Erica Kennedy in 1990. The letter of reference said she worked for Steinback from high school through 1988. So if she traveled prior to 1990, it would have been under a different passport/name.

In the Seattle Times live chat, the investigator said:
    The question of oversea travel has been raised. Her Lori Erica Kennedy U.S. Passport was checked for overseas travel and there was no travel recorded by the Department of State.
    by Joseph Velling 5:33 PM
    Here is a link to the Live Chat: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...-in-live-chat/

hi everyone, first time posting here
    at my work I have written many letters of reference/recommendation and have also read many of them (I do the hiring here). this letter is extremely poorly written IMO. it is full of short sentences and really basic language that seems odd to me. the person who is supposedly writing the letter never identifies his title or in what capacity Lori worked for him. when he says "I would hire her again," that would have been where someone would add what they would hire her again for. his use of "from high school" is really vague and could mean anything in terms of age.

basically, if I received a letter of reference like this from someone, I would immediately discount it.

Hi turtlepoop. Welcome! I agree with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by owutatangledweb View Post
    what we know about thailand. Here's two real winners for you. Apparently a lot of stockbrokers stay there.

for some reason, my link did not paste. I will paste it later. However, my point is it appears that the oriental hotel was near the stockbrokers row of thailand. She may not have been related to a stockbroker at all; however, she could have worked for one or known one who visited this hotel and stole this stationery from him (or her).

The link i posted had to do with a stockbroker who was a pedophile (who seemed to be more into boys) and another pedophile. Both articles were connected to thailand and/or the oriental hotel. My point being that i believe thailand has a pretty good history of unwittingly hosting pedophiles of all sorts.

1. There is a Roger Steinbeck ( like on the hotel letter) in North Hollywood. He is 83 years old (according to peoplefinders) (mentioned before in this thread) He has a female listed at his address by the name of C. Steinbeck aka C. Howe. (63) she has former addresses in texas and colorado, and possibly washington state.
    There is a younger Roger Steinbeck at the address also in his 30s ,and married. HE IS A LAWYER...but was in real estate prior to 2008. His wife has ties to Austin, Tx.
    http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/259024
    They look either Armenian or Turkish, maybe
    they are on Google+ and that is where I found most of the connections.

I am seeing a trend of lawyers on this note page...I had mentioned before it was a possibility she herself was in law school.
    The texas ties and another possible connection to Turkey?
    Last edited by Linda9681; 07-15-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added/changed info

Quote Originally Posted by Linda9681 View Post
    I am seeing a trend of lawyers on this note page...I had mentioned before it was a possibility she herself was in law school.
    I don't see any evidence that would make me think she went to law school, but who knows at this point.
    Last edited by ClaireNC; 07-16-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast