1388 users online (265 members and 1123 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
Results 211 to 224 of 224
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    12,864
    Quote Originally Posted by HerStory View Post
    I disagree..... I remember being in a snit with my parents and making plans to run away to another town. I found generic info about it for jobs and started applying from a distance. The jobs that were available around the same time sound like those that could be those potentially listed on her note page. Am I making any sense?
    Makes sense to me. Before the internet people looked for jobs via the local newspaper. If she wanted to move to Hollywood all she needed to look for a job was a copy of the L.A. Times, sold in most major cities. Plus in the early 1980's there was a recession. People took jobs where ever they could find them. It's not like she had a family to relocate with her. She just need to buy a bus ticket or could even have hitchhiked (which used to be much more common). JMO.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    12,864
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireNC View Post

    How is it clear that she was looking to work with Kathleen Jueng and Lish in Hollywood? I can think of so many reasons she could have been trying to contact them.

    I do agree that the notes page is unlikely to provide any clues as to her identity, unless one of the people listed remembered her.
    Sorry, All just my opinion. YMMV. Earlier posters found evidence that Jueng and Lish worked together at one time...regardless if they did when the page of notes was written they were beginning to be well known, working in an overarching industry that involved "show business" (for lack of better term) and maybe FLEK saw a commercial or read a newspaper article about them. Again all just my own speculation. I'm open to hearing your theories on why she would be trying to contact them if not to work with them. I think the more I think about this case the less I know for certain.

  3. #213
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Pure Michigan
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    Sorry, All just my opinion. YMMV. Earlier posters found evidence that Jueng and Lish worked together at one time...regardless if they did when the page of notes was written they were beginning to be well known, working in an overarching industry that involved "show business" (for lack of better term) and maybe FLEK saw a commercial or read a newspaper article about them. Again all just my own speculation. I'm open to hearing your theories on why she would be trying to contact them if not to work with them. I think the more I think about this case the less I know for certain.
    Your last sentence. Nailed it for me!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Addicted

    Lurking or sleuthing, at all hours of the day & night, many times falling asleep with phone in hand/laptop in lap

    Will NOT be held liable for the following:

    Paragraph Structure
    Grammar
    Appropriate Language
    Using Contractions Correctly
    Correct use of Acronyms ( should I attempt them )
    Punctuation
    Falling asleep mid response


    *terms subject to change without notice*

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Porrtland, Oregon
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post
    As for why she kept the page..Perhaps she kept it to remind herself of when she struggled to find work or her dreams of making it big in Hollywood. Perhaps she did find a lead on a job from one of these numbers and kept it for sentimental reasons? There are so many crazy conspiracy theories for this page of notes. I tend to think it is more simple than most the stories people are making up. JMO.
    The reason she kept the sheet of paper might be for a very simple reason, so simple no one has thought about it: it was shuffled into a stack of other pages at some point, & thus found its way into the locked box. Any one who has dealt with lots of paper has had this happen to them.

    And why did it survive LEK's purge of her other papers? Maybe she had forgotten about it entirely. Or maybe she stumbled across it in those last, dark days of her life, & in a petty pique of revenge thought, "They've always wondered who I was. I'll leave them this page of scribbling that means nothing & let them waste time trying to use it to identify my birth name. That'll teach them."

    I've not mentioned these ides because it really would admit that finding her pre-LEK identity is not possible. That she succeeded in taking her birth name to the grave with her as her final act of revenge against the Ruffs. It's just too pessimistic, & would discourage any further attempts to identify her.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    411
    By no means am I a handwriting expert.... but based on some Google searches, FLEK's handwriting on the notes page indicates carelessness (jumbled), anger (lots of angles) and arrogance (tall capital letters).
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    HerStory SN
    Unhinged Busybody Extraordinaire

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Porrtland, Oregon
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by HerStory View Post
    By no means am I a handwriting expert.... but based on some Google searches, FLEK's handwriting on the notes page indicates carelessness (jumbled), anger (lots of angles) and arrogance (tall capital letters).
    This is where I should be the voice of rationality & point out that using handwriting to determine a person's personality is considered bunk. Except that you are likely right. Reading between the lines of her resume, I get that same impression of LEK: lots of typos (carelessness), & comparing her "Objective" to her brag points below I can't help but infer some anger about not being appreciated for her talents -- which, in the computer industry aren't all that impressive (arrogance).

    Have I mentioned that my impression of LEK is that she was likely hard to get along with? Even if you weren't part of a close-knit Eastern Texas family?

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    12,864


    I decided to take a closer look at the handwriting of the scribble page and the only other handwriting sample we have of FLEK's--the handwriting on her passport application.

    First, compare the two words Dallas: The D's are different and though both samples use capital A's in the middle of words, the capital A's are different as well. One is more rounded at the top and one more pointed.
    Second, compare capital M's--very different. One has rounded peaks like a lower case M and center line of the m reaches the bottom of the letter. The note writer's M's are pointy at the peaks with high center swoop line.
    third, compare B's. There is only one B on the application but it appears to be written like a 3 with a line in front of it--two sections disconected. The B's on the note page are written more in one fluid motion and all connected.
    Fourth, compare lower case y's. On the application the y's have a rounded hook. On the note they are angular.

    Finally, compare the "These Eyes" to everything else. I flipped it 90 degrees to make it easier to compare. It has been noted before in these threads that the "These Eyes" has those curly capital E's in the middle of the word and FLEK used those capital E's in her writing. The rest of the note does not have those capital E's. The y in "These Eyes" is also a hook style like used in the application, not like the rest of the note.

    The main thing these writings have in common, IMO, is using a mixture of capital and lower case letters for the middle of the words.

    After this analysis, I'm prepared to theorize that the majority of this note was NOT written by FLEK--it may have been written by someone close to her (parent, sibling, etc.), however, who had a similar style of mixing capital and lower case letters.

    ETA: After posting this I also noticed the note-writer uses capital N's. FLEK's passport application does not have any capital N's.

    I posted this in the main discussion thread but it quickly got buried. I hope it's okay I posted it here too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    411
    I just had an aha-moment while I studied the notes page. I think someone was harassing her and she was like, "that's it! I am calling the police!" And the police instruct her to get a lawyer. And being scared, she thinks she should change her phone number too.....
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    HerStory SN
    Unhinged Busybody Extraordinaire

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    12,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    I believe I know the meaning of the "CNA" and the "ours 303-293-2333" notations on the scratch paper from Jane Doe's lockbox. I think the fraud lawyer and oil company identifications previously mentioned are most likely red herrings.

    I searched Google Books for the string 303-293-2333. On my computer, the second result was snippet views from the following book:

    How to find missing persons: a handbook for investigators/ Ronald George Eriksen 2 [sic] (Loompanics; Port Townsend, Washington, 1984), pages 83 and 84.

    This book exists in at least three versions: a staple-bound "true first edition" published by Loompanics in 1981 in their original Mason, Michigan location; the 1984 edition I refer to above; and a 1994 2nd edition, revised and expanded.

    I was able to get my hands on the 1994 edition, but had to request a scan of the relevant Chapter 19 (Telephone Records) of the 1984 edition from a public library. Luckily, they came through quickly. See the attached two-page PDF (handwritten notes are mine).

    The author explains "[f]ortunately, Ma Bell has secret telephone numbers called "C.N.A. Service numbers" which you call, give the number in question, and you will be told the name and usually the address which correspond with that number." He further explains that the numbers are changed "at regular intervals" and that the information he gives is good "as of the first of 1984."

    Following is a table of area codes, with the corresponding C.N.A. numbers. The number 303-293-2333 matches seven area codes (note that Google Books only indexes two of them). According to Wikipedia, all seven were in the batch of original area codes instituted in 1947, and most served the entire referenced state until the 1990s or 2000s.

    208 Idaho
    303 Colorado
    307 Wyoming
    406 Montana
    505 New Mexico
    602 Arizona
    801 Utah

    My interpretation of Jane Doe's notes is that "ours" refers to her own area code sometime in the 1980s, possibly prior to her name changes. I lean toward Idaho or Arizona due to other elements in the story, but of course, I'm not sure.

    Just to be clear, I am also not sure at all that Jane Doe used this particular book as a reference. I do think, however, that her notes almost certainly refer to the Customer Name and Address Service.
    Thank you for an awesome post! In thinking about the CNA info and my theory that FLEK did NOT write the note, I was thinking, what if this note indicates that someone else was checking up on Lori's calls? Since CNA numbers seem to be useful in find out who called a person or who a person called, perhaps someone (a boyfriend, husband, parent) was stalking her/trying to prevent her from leaving them. She found the note and took it so they would not have that info anymore after she left. Just another theory and I have no evidence of this but it would fit with the idea she changed her identity to escape some form of abuse.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    161
    Like most things in this case this part is perplexing. My best two theories regarding the note, I think she was looking for someone, OR I think she might have come across someone doing some research on her. She seemed to have been a pretty obsessive person, if she found this in someones possession maybe she just wanted to keep it to refer back to. I wish we knew if other documents existed that have not been released. If my son/daughter brought home a groom/bride and they were very evasive with me, it would send a red flag to me and I would do some investigation, maybe even hire someone to do it for me. Another thought, FLEK told her husband to never open that box, that does not mean he followed her instructions or if a nosey mother did it for him. JMO of course.


  11. #221
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by llywrch View Post
    This is where I should be the voice of rationality & point out that using handwriting to determine a person's personality is considered bunk. Except that you are likely right. Reading between the lines of her resume, I get that same impression of LEK: lots of typos (carelessness), & comparing her "Objective" to her brag points below I can't help but infer some anger about not being appreciated for her talents -- which, in the computer industry aren't all that impressive (arrogance).

    Have I mentioned that my impression of LEK is that she was likely hard to get along with? Even if you weren't part of a close-knit Eastern Texas family?
    Most of the posts on this site appear to be dabbling in the bunk. Trying to match up facial patterns off of other missing persons, wild conspiracies about religious cults, etc. I'd rather go with exactly what we know and are presented. Most of it is just noise. However, I'd tend to err on the side of Occam's Razor when it comes to this sort of thing.

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,146
    I'm going to go with Occam's razor here and say that according to the facts we do know, it was said that there were scribbled papers all over the house and there was also the suicide note. FLEK was also married for awhile. I am not certain whether Velling had access to the suicide note or the other papers. However, this was a woman in the middle of a divorce, I would think that the agency investigating the suicide would want to verify the handwriting on the suicide note and would have/should have compared the writing to other writings they found. I think the simple answer here is to obtain the police reports from the suicide investigation from the appropriate investigating agency, that being the police agency in the place where she committed the suicide, to determine whether handwriting was compared. Velling was also given a binder by the Ruffs. I agree with others that have an FOIA needs to be done again and I think the request needs to include that binder.

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Owutatangledweb View Post
    I'm going to go with Occam's razor here and say that according to the facts we do know, it was said that there were scribbled papers all over the house and there was also the suicide note. FLEK was also married for awhile. I am not certain whether Velling had access to the suicide note or the other papers. However, this was a woman in the middle of a divorce, I would think that the agency investigating the suicide would want to verify the handwriting on the suicide note and would have/should have compared the writing to other writings they found. I think the simple answer here is to obtain the police reports from the suicide investigation from the appropriate investigating agency, that being the police agency in the place where she committed the suicide, to determine whether handwriting was compared. Velling was also given a binder by the Ruffs. I agree with others that have an FOIA needs to be done again and I think the request needs to include that binder.
    You really think the agency wouldn't have verified handwriting BEFORE releasing it to the public? Come on. AFAIK, there isn't a "suicide" investigation. It's a SSA stolen identity case.

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Porrtland, Oregon
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseCracka View Post
    You really think the agency wouldn't have verified handwriting BEFORE releasing it to the public? Come on. AFAIK, there isn't a "suicide" investigation. It's a SSA stolen identity case.
    I'm guessing that what Owutatangledweb means by "agency" is the local law enforcement people: police or sheriff's department.

    So did the local LE do an investigation into her death? My guess is that because it was a prima facie case of suicide, the Ruffs were a local family with roots & connections in the community, & there is no obvious reason to suspect foul play, they ruled it a suicide within an hour or two. I'm sure they did some basic investigation just to be sure -- determine that she died in the vehicle, maybe perform a quick handwriting comparison with known samples (if any exist) & her suicide notes -- the usual due diligence. (After all, competent law enforcement officers don't like closed cases being reopened & exposing all sorts of unrelated embarrassing mistakes.)

    I doubt any of the local LE even imagined that the Ruffs might actually murder her & stage it to look as if she committed suicide. After all, what would the Ruffs gain? Blake was filing for divorce, he'd likely end up with custody of the daughter, & eventually LEK would drift away from the community. They'd only consider murder as an option if they were violent & impulsive people -- & for all of their possible faults I've seen no evidence of that. Thus the local agency probably didn't spend much time on her death: it was the holidays, we know there was no autopsy, & there are always other demands on their time.

    But my guess is just the opinion of a person whose knowledge of how law enforcement works is based on second-hand knowledge. Maybe they did a thorough investigation, maybe they gave the vehicle a perfunctory glance & dismissed it as a suicide so they could get back to enjoying Christmas. (It does seem odd that no one checked the house for a few weeks after LEK's death; I would imagine that performing due diligence in this case would involve investigating her home, just to confirm there was nothing that contradicted that this was suicide.)

    The only way to be sure what they did in this case would be to file a FOIA request, if that can be done under Texas law. If for no other reason than to avert any distracting conspiracy theories; after all, this case is baffling enough to not need any speculation about KGB agents.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15


Similar Threads

  1. A REAL 3 Page Ransom Note
    By delaney in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-18-2017, 01:07 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 07:11 PM
  3. Cliff Note Version of 400 page Documents
    By olive in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread