The Note Page

ClaireNC

Reaction score
Answered my own question
http://www.dir.ca.gov/iwc/minimumwagehistory.htm

Now I'm curious what servers wages were? When I started dancing, our wages were servers wages (on top of tips obv) and it was 2.45. This was in the 90's NYC

I think you are onto something with the 1.85 being tipped minimum wages. The question becomes when and where.

Here is a chart that shows historic minimum wages by state:
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/content/PDF/state_min_wage.pdf

This file gives some history of "tipped minimum" wages. On page 8 it shows that tipped minimum wages were 50% of the regular minimum wage starting in 1966. In the 1980's it went up to 60% and in 1989 it went back down to 50%. http://nelp.3cdn.net/331eca7ebfeefd2a6b_58m6y1f5f.pdf

I believe I know the meaning of the "CNA" and the "ours 303-293-2333" notations on the scratch paper from Jane Doe's lockbox. I think the fraud lawyer and oil company identifications previously mentioned are most likely red herrings.

I searched Google Books for the string 303-293-2333. On my computer, the second result was snippet views from the following book:

How to find missing persons: a handbook for investigators/ Ronald George Eriksen 2 [sic] (Loompanics; Port Townsend, Washington, 1984), pages 83 and 84.

This book exists in at least three versions: a staple-bound "true first edition" published by Loompanics in 1981 in their original Mason, Michigan location; the 1984 edition I refer to above; and a 1994 2nd edition, revised and expanded.

I was able to get my hands on the 1994 edition, but had to request a scan of the relevant Chapter 19 (Telephone Records) of the 1984 edition from a public library. Luckily, they came through quickly. See the attached two-page PDF (handwritten notes are mine).

The author explains "[f]ortunately, Ma Bell has secret telephone numbers called "C.N.A. Service numbers" which you call, give the number in question, and you will be told the name and usually the address which correspond with that number." He further explains that the numbers are changed "at regular intervals" and that the information he gives is good "as of the first of 1984."

Following is a table of area codes, with the corresponding C.N.A. numbers. The number 303-293-2333 matches seven area codes (note that Google Books only indexes two of them). According to Wikipedia, all seven were in the batch of original area codes instituted in 1947, and most served the entire referenced state until the 1990s or 2000s.

208 Idaho
303 Colorado
307 Wyoming
406 Montana
505 New Mexico
602 Arizona
801 Utah

My interpretation of Jane Doe's notes is that "ours" refers to her own area code sometime in the 1980s, possibly prior to her name changes. I lean toward Idaho or Arizona due to other elements in the story, but of course, I'm not sure.

Just to be clear, I am also not sure at all that Jane Doe used this particular book as a reference. I do think, however, that her notes almost certainly refer to the Customer Name and Address Service.

Attachments

• EriksenChapter19.pdf
    564.8 KB · Views: 289
notes.jpg

I did some infrared processing of her notes and reference letter. I was trying to find anything such as handwriting that might have been hidden from the human eye that was undetected. I notice that in the center of her notes there is writing as if she made other notes over this page of notes.

Didn't find anything that stood out on the age chart she compiled in trying to figure out the age of the real Beck Sue Turner's parents. The sheet of paper is clean and probably just plain old, regular paper.

However, the Thailand reference letter is a sure bet that it might be a forgery because the paper has no watermark. When employers give written letters of recommendation, they want to use a good, professional paper and that paper is usually a good quality with a watermark. When infrared documents are converted, a watermark pops out right away, even if it's slightly seen, it can be enhanced and made legible. The Zodiac Killer letters are a good example as he used "Fifth Avenue" paper and the watermark pops out under infrared conversion.

I would like to see her other notes and papers that were found by her husband after her death. I hope they were collected by Agent Velling as evidence as well.

The pdf is quite large and will take a few moments to download. Perhaps a sleuther might be able to make out something in my infrared pdf file I have linked:

TX_Jane_Doe_Evidence

I have been looking at the scratch sheet. LEK has interesting handwriting- I honestly dont know how many people write using a combination of upper and lower case letters like that. She seems to have made a few spelling mistakes as well. Observations, not judgements. So if she is not the strongest speller in the world, the sheet looks a bit different. The number for the Nth Hollywood police station is a real number, but she has written Holloyod. I am picturing LEK on the phone, writing down a number, but making a spelling mistake is easy to do because the word is not important- the number is. That brings me to Laciner. Cant find much using that name, but using Lacina instead changes search options big time. I am really starting to think that there is a good chance she was on the phone, someone said "Lacina" and she wrote down Laciner. Easy to do.

Oh, and the name we actually may be looking for could be some alternative spelling such as that if we are indeed looking for a person.

- in regards to her spelling, notice the 'e' in all words. These Eyes has the curly cue e.... All other letters do not. All words look different from the These Eyes scribbles.

Wonder about her primary education? Where? No one has come forward recognizing her from any age thus far.

Odd too, she doesn't know Hollywood is Hollywood.

- in regards to her spelling, notice the 'e' in all words. These Eyes has the curly cue e.... All other letters do not. All words look different from the These Eyes scribbles.

Wonder about her primary education? Where? No one has come forward recognizing her from any age thus far.

Odd too, she doesn't know Hollywood is Hollywood.

I indicated before that the e-business was extremely unusual because LEKR uses that sideways e mostly for the lower case e. As Wikipedia points out that sideways e is a lower case Greek-type script which can be related to or
like other scripts in that part of the world. I've never heard of it being used in U.S. schools though one of her parents might have written that way. The e seems to have significance for LEKR, and I suggested the name Elena as a name coming to mind that she had not yet made use of. It might or might not be significant.

I had it in my head that she may have been Greek for many reasons, not the least of which Greece was (loudly) in the popular celebrity arena at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

if this link keeps on not working I will try again.

Others have noted that sideways e but suggested various other types of reasons, such as youthful fancifulness, different writing styles and so on.

There was a page of undated notes found in the lock box in Lori Erica Ruff's closet after her death. http://seattletimes.com/html/localpages/2021243300_janedoeevidence.html

Here is a link to an image of that page:
http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2013/06/20/2021230731.jpg

Here is a thread for general discussion of the Note page.

I am creating separate threads for individual things on the note page, such as:
-Ben Perkins, Jr.
-Jackson/Jack Son
-These Eyes
-Laciner
-Jeung/Lish
-402 months, 40+, 40.2
-Hollywood police
-Library
-Phone companies
-The Colorado connection area code 303 phone number
-etc.

Copying this great post over from the main discussion thread:

I know some of you have found out which businesses currently own some of these numbers, so if you can reply with your info I will add it in. Also feel free to give other interpretations!

Top to Bottom, Left to Right

•402 months/40&2 months (appears to be 3 consecutive, vertical lines under it. Tally marks?)

•Circled together: N Holloyood Polce/Pole (North Hollywood Police?)
818-989-8824

•688-7092 Lib ar y? (Library?)

•Pacific Bell Admin Offices
811-9000
$1.85
(may not be related notes, $1.85 could be related to Laciner note below)

•Records Ben Perkins Jr. Law Office
201 W Manchester Blvd
778-5577

OR:

Records
Ben Perkins Jr.
201 W. Manchester Blvd

AND, separately:
Law Office
778-5577

•Laciner (letters traced over more than once so almost appears bolded)
356-7300 (818 may be the area code, but she wrote it above the rest of the number)

•Southwester (Southwestern?) Bell Of Greater Dallas (scratched out)

•811-6795 (may go with Southwestern Bell note above OR with the series of numbers listed below, or may be unrelated to either)

•(circled set of numbers, typed as they appear on the note):
1-800
811-0690
213-642-0690 (last number might also be a 2. On the note, this number is actually underlined twice)

•2F4 (? Nearly illegible, scratched out)

•CNA (letters traced over so appears bolded, could be related to other notes, unsure)

•Mountain Bell
(3 hours less) [her parenthesis, could possibly say 13 hours less]

•(The following is a circled set of notes):
602 Tucson
Made up 887-2926
6 PM
to re (6 pm “to” something? Or 6pm tore/tour?--appears above and to the right)
Arizona

•ours 303-293-2333 (this is scratched out)

•Jennifer Perkins 214 Dallas (all words are scratched out)

•Jack.son (Jack Son? Or Jackson)
H (H appears under it. So Jackson H.? May not be related, may not even be an H)

•9:00 (scratched out)
Fled (scratched out. very hard to read) Today (not scratched out. traced over many times.)
N NOV (traced over. Assume November?)

•(Bottom left of the paper and upside down. Handwriting seems different than the rest of the notes):
These
Eyes
650-8880
Shoot

•3:00 (related to these eyes note above?)

•(Bottom right of the paper, these notes are grouped together in a box):
Call 08 (? Hard to read and is scratched out)
213 (area code?)
760-6190 OR 460-6190 (number is traced over)
Los K (appears off to the right)
Jeung
Jeau
Kathleen Jeung Ing Fouk (last 2 words are very hard to read, all is traced over)
Lish Hollywo- (Hollywood?)

I posted this on the long thread but thought maybe I should post it here as well. There was some speculation as to whether or not there was something else written near the center of the sheet, just under Jack.son. You can certainly see what looks like an 8 and I was sure something had been there and possibly been erased. This probably doesn't help with any identification but I thought it was interesting that it looks like a date.

http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/mrskeev/library/?view=recent

@mrskeev Your enhanced image definitely shows that there is more to that page. It could be that she erased it or it could have been written on a sheet of paper that was on top of that paper. It does look like a date, but I can't make out what it is.

Here is a start of an analysis of some of the telephone numbers on the note page. In the spirit of full disclosure, I started with a list posted in the comment section from the Seattle Times article and checked the facts/made additions before posting it here.

I am posting it as something to build on. It is not complete.

Telephone numbers on Note page:
Possibly written between 1984 and 1988 based on these facts: The 818 area code started in 1984 and Ben Perkins Jr. was disbarred in 1988.

There are several references to numbers in the Los Angeles area and some of them appear to be appointments. Was she living there at the time?

214-688-7092 with the word Library next to it is the current public number for the Tredyffrin Public Library in Wayne, PA. According to a post in the comments section of the Seattle Times article it has been listed as the library telephone number since 1985. Apparently the Directory of Libraries and Information Sources, published in 1985 contains this information.

In the 1980’s, 818-989-8824 was the main telephone number for the North Hollywood police station. The police station moved in the early 1990’s, and while the main telephone number changed, the 8824 number was as the direct number for a task force of anti-gang officers.

811-9000 (no area code written_. However, 800-811-9000 is currently used to by AT&T in San Francisco.

818-356-7300 – This number is currently used by a company called Joe's Barbershop at 13220 Maclay St. We do not know if the same business had that number in the 1980’s.

213-778-5577 – Was the telephone number for Ben Perkins Jr. law office at 2701 W Manchester Blvd. He was a civil and criminal attorney but was disbarred in 1988. See separate thread for Ben Perkins Jr. for further information.

811-6795 – Assumed to be an 800 number for Southwestern Bell

602- was the area code for all of Arizona until 1995. The number 887-2926 was listed with the comment 'made up' no records found related to that number in the 602 area code. The number 520-887-2926 traces to Sayco Heating and AC (Southern Arizona York Contracting is holding corp. This business was formed in 1987 according to business filings.

303-293-2333 - has been shown (see great post by Bookman) to be a CNA number referenced in a book called "How to Find Missing Persons" by George Eriksen published in 1984. It has also been traced to companies called Mallon Oil/Mallon Resources (traced to articles of incorporation files 5/31/1978 and 7/18/1988 and a 1999 SEC filing) Current internet searches also trace the number to a law firm called Gersch & Helfrich, LLP – a law firm that practiced in the mid to late 1990’s but does not seem to currently practicing.

650-8880 - These Eyes shoot - This number (323 area code) traces to a company called Visages Rps Inc. since 1985. This company acts as a representative for photographers, does photography, videos and sound work. I appears to be a long standing and highly regarded agency. Old address was 8748 Holloway but moved to 7750 Sunset. They are mentioned in a number of books listing resources.

Regarding the page of the date and numbers...
1)why would she need to find out how old Becky Turner's parents were, especially if she changed her name to LEK?
2)What kind of document would you need to put your parents' age on it? Or was it just so if someone asked "how old are your parents Lori?" she could say "well they're deceased but they died in 1990, Dad was blah-blah years old and Mom was blah-blah years old?" The dates end with "90" so to me that implies 1990 but why would you save a sheet of paper so long with those dates on it?

Regarding the page of notes...
Is is very frantically scribbles which implies to me that someone was talking fast (ie: she was on the phone) jotting down notes.

@mrskeev Your enhanced image definitely shows that there is more to that page. It could be that she erased it or it could have been written on a sheet of paper that was on top of that paper. It does look like a date, but I can't make out what it is.

If it is a date It looks like (to my eyes) 9 or 1- 22 -8?
The more I look at this image I think it could be a combination.
9 22 8 or 1 22 8

I think it was probably erased because 8 is so much darker than the rest like it didn't get erased quite as well. It seems like at some point it may have been an important note because it was circled, but for some reason lost it's importance. If it was a combination maybe it lost significance because she just didn't need it anymore.

650-8880 - These Eyes shoot - This number (323 area code) traces to a company called Visages Rps Inc. since 1985. This company acts as a representative for photographers, does photography, videos and sound work. I appears to be a long standing and highly regarded agency. Old address was 8748 Holloway but moved to 7750 Sunset. They are mentioned in a number of books listing resources.

I managed to find the parcel identification number for the property at 8748 Holloway: 4339-009-035 . I'm not sure how helpful this is as I can only find sales records for the last few years. I can tell you that this property appears to be commercially zoned as all motion picture type people have used it the last few years.

Owutatangledweb posted this in the general thread, but since it about telephone numbers, I thought I would reply to it over here

“Okay, I really don't know where to post this because I'm not sure I'm finding the new threads that are or are being set up. I was back to the phone number issue. So please move this post if there is a thread for phone number investigation. I am posting this link to telephone "exchanges" Just around the mid 80s the use of names for exchanges was being eliminated, but some areas still used them. So, if you're looking into phone numbers and scribblings on the paper, look at this too. I did see there is a "Jackson" exchange. I didn't go any further than that. I don't know how to use the chart, so it could be in Hawaii for all I know.

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Recommended.html”

Here is my explanation. Growing up in the 70’s my phone number was 215-672-7994. The exchange names do not refer to the area codes (I am not sure when area codes came into existence but I think the exchange names were used before they had area codes). Also when I was a kid we still used 7 digit dialing and only used the area code for long distance and of course we had to actually “dial” the phone. Anyway, if you look on the table, you see that one of the recommended exchange names for 67 was Osborne. So my phone number was OSborne 2 – 7994. I can remember the phone pad next to the phone had numbers listed as OS2-XXXX. I don't think it was even common to use them anymore in the 70's because I remember asking my mother what it meant and I never heard of anyone else using them.

Finally getting to the point, JAckson would be for a phone number *advertiser censored*-52X-*advertiser censored*. Not sure if that helps or not.

And also in case it isn’t clear the first two letters in the word are correspond to the numbers the letters are associated with on the number pad.

Perhaps it is just me: does the handwriting for "these eyes" seem like a different person's than the other notes? The "e" is written differently and the numbers are written almost cursive-y as opposed to the other numbers on the page.

This is just a small thing I noticed. Where LEK had written Mountain Bell 3 hours less It makes me think she is counting time zones from east to west. And she is wrong too, because Mountain time would be 2 hours less and Pacific would be 3 hours less, right? It is curious as to why she was writing down time zones, phone companies and telephone numbers. And for Pacific bell she wrote admin offices after it. What was she doing? Lastly, how she has North Hollywood Police, Pacific Bell Adm office & Library with phone number up top..is their anything she could be trying to find out or accomplish using these 3 places? Hope that makes since..I am not very good at this stuff.

I have had a strong feeling that she was worried about someone finding her that was a current criminal. When I was going through my divorce, I called the police station for my husband's record, had a lawyer who could get more records for other places for me, and called phone companies to get records for proof of harassing phone calls. My notes would have looked really similar. I think there are 3 or more things going on here-- the above mentioned about running from someone or gathering info for a court case, potential work info she had lined up, and the middle about Jackson is anyone's guess. Just my theories, of course!!

(snipped)

Here is my explanation. Growing up in the 70’s my phone number was 215-67x-xxxx. The exchange names do not refer to the area codes (I am not sure when area codes came into existence but I think the exchange names were used before they had area codes). Also when I was a kid we still used 7 digit dialing and only used the area code for long distance and of course we had to actually “dial” the phone. Anyway, if you look on the table, you see that one of the recommended exchange names for 67 was Osborne. So my phone number was OSborne 2 – 7994. I can remember the phone pad next to the phone had numbers listed as OS2-XXXX. I don't think it was even common to use them anymore in the 70's because I remember asking my mother what it meant and I never heard of anyone else using them.

Finally getting to the point, JAckson would be for a phone number *advertiser censored*-52X-*advertiser censored*. Not sure if that helps or not.

And also in case it isn’t clear the first two letters in the word are correspond to the numbers the letters are associated with on the number pad.

Interesting point! I remember our phone number was JU4-XXXX (JU stood for Junction) which was 584-XXXX. However, I am pretty sure we stopped using the JU and were just using the numbers 58 in the mid-1970's. So if she wrote JAckson as a phone exchange it could have been something she remembered from early childhood. (I was born in 1959 and really suspect she was born around that same time.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back