1431 users online (268 members and 1163 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by milkymama View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to look for the bankruptcy cases Ben Perkins filed in CA in the 80s for any clues? I'm not sure what is required to search, but it appears BKs are public records.

http://www.uscourts.gov/CourtRecords.aspx
    I just checked this out. You have to jump through hoops to make an account, only to find out that it's not free! And THEN, by the time you've learned this information they inform you that they're mailing something to your house!! I entered a fake address because I'm wary of putting my information into websites these days, and now I'm afraid my information is about to be put in the mail to some stranger! Poor FLEK would be having a heart attack right about now if this happened to her.

This is kind of out of left field and a random observation, but it bothers me that Perkins is written above the rest of this info and not after Ben Jr. I know everyone has speculated that she was writing on the phone or trying to jog her memory for something but what if Perkins is a place and not a name? I was recently looking at the address on FLEK's BST Idaho license. Go to the address on Google maps (7101 El Caballo Boise, ID), zoom out a little and follow N. Cole Street South just below HWY 184 at the corner of S. Cole and W. Franklin Rd. There is an area marked Perkins right there. Coincidence? I can't seem to find anything else about the Perkins area of Boise, ID. What if this was written in 1987-88 when she was attempting to find info to obtain her new identity and she was in the Perkins area of Boise ID? Could there be another Ben Jr that worked at that CA law firm address? Or a Ben Jr from Perkins area in Idaho told her to call that law office and that number and she got the address when she called?

Just an observation I hadn't seen thrown out yet. I keep going back to the fact she HAD to be in Idaho for however short of a time in 1988 to get her license--where did she stay, how did she get around, even if only for a few days or weeks?

And another Perkins observation in a completely different direction--Perkins Loans were federal loans in the 1990's. We know she filed for bankruptcy due to student loans. What if she was calling the law office about her student loans or to get records in relation to her loans?

Perkins is also the name of a restaurant, there are a few in Boise. Perhaps she was meeting some one named Ben Jr. at Perkins? It's kind of a breakfast/diner place, open 24 hours. If I were meeting someone random at an odd hour it would be a good meeting place. Quiet, anonymous, yet public and safe.
    *I am almost 100% positive there was at least one Perkins diner in Boise in 1988. I live in a smaller city in Idaho & we have had a Perkins since the early 90's. We trend about 5-7 years behind Boise, so if we had one, they certainly had one.

http://www.perkinsrestaurants.com/company

Last edited by Beezneez; 06-20-2016 at 04:20 PM.

And could that be a Perkins uniform in her Idaho id?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    HerStory SN
    Unhinged Busybody Extraordinaire

Ben Perkins Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by HerStory View Post
    And could that be a Perkins uniform in her Idaho id?
    I've done a quick Google search for old advertisements for Perkins (I'm in Australia so I'm not familiar with the chain). I can't find anything with anyone wearing a uniform from the 80's but the colours and stripes could certainly match with the look and colour of the restaurant.

Would definitely be interested to see if anyone knew what the uniform was the staff wore back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by natalieo; 06-21-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Here's what a search for "Perkins Waitress 1988" brought up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/earthdog/6031484434

Doesn't look anything like the shirt she is wearing. I wanted it to be a Perkins uniform too because it would at least give a lead of where she worked while in Idaho. Unfortunately striped shirts like that were just a popular style back then.

Oh thanks Gardener1850. I thought HerStory may have been onto something there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found another possible Perkins connection today. There is a SMU Perkins School of Theology in Dallas, TX. Don't know if it is related but something to consider. http://www.smu.edu/perkins

After reading up on this case a lot more, I'm convinced the Ben Perkins on the sheet is the Lawyer from Inglewood. Here is one of his cases from 1986: http://law.justia.com/cases/californ.../187/1494.html
    I thought the number of delay tactics used in that case was interesting and it reminded me of how much FLEK fought her 1997 bankruptcy case. I wonder if she got a lawyer in Dallas recommended by Perkins? I don't know much about bankruptcy cases though and how common it is to appeal and fight the rulings multiple times as FLEK did.

ETA: I posted this in the main thread:

Reading through that case above and how many delay tactics the clients attempted I'm reminded of FLEK's own bankruptcy case in 1997. Here's an except:

"This court has made clear in the past that it will not condone the actions of litigants to misuse this court's process solely for the purpose of delay. (See Hersch v. Citizens Savings & Loan Assn. (1983) 146 Cal. App. 3d 1002 [194 Cal. Rptr. 628].) The Blacks' efforts to manipulate and abuse the processes of this and other courts are manifest in this case.

The Blacks engaged in a series of procedural maneuvers, in both the Los Angeles Superior Court and the federal court, designed to stay the effect of a judgment to which they had stipulated. By the time the matter reached this court, the superior court had twice rejected the Blacks' claims that Coast had breached the agreement of sale. One of these rulings was made after the Blacks' then-attorney, Mr. Perkins, admitted that he had advised the Blacks to sign the escrow instructions as prepared by Coast. Further, the Blacks had made four different requests for a stay of execution of the judgment, and had been turned down by the superior court each time. After their last request was denied, they filed a petition for extraordinary relief which misstated the facts of the case in a manner designed to evoke the sympathies of this court and delay the inevitable even further by procuring a temporary stay. Once the petition was denied and Coast was finally successful in evicting the Blacks from the property, the Blacks apparently abandoned their appeal of the stipulated judgment, having failed to perfect the appeal in the manner set forth in the California Rules of Court. All of these facts demonstrate that the Blacks' petition for writ of supersedeas was simply another one of their continuing efforts to delay the proceedings and prevent Coast from obtaining possession of the subject property."

BBM. IIRC, FLEK also fought and delayed the case as much as possible. I don't know anything about bankruptcy. Does anyone know if these types of procedures are common? I also wonder if there is any connection between the attorney FLEK used in 1997 and Ben Perkins, Jr.
    Last edited by Gardener1850; 07-10-2016 at 03:51 PM.

A few other articles relevant to Perkins:
    http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-...bankruptcies/3
    http://articles.latimes.com/1988-07-...unity-leader/2

Apologies if these have already been shared, just trying to get them into the foreground for those new to the case.

Bringing this over from the other thread. gspc.JPG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3