UK UK - Gillian Sarahs, 54, Guernsey, Feb 2013

ellie b

Reaction score
This lady has been missing from the island of Guernsey since 1st Feb 2013.
There were quite a few searches done soon after she went missing but we never hear anything about her now.

SARAHS-update-pic-04-02.jpg

I shall post all the links, but to be honest there is not much to go on.

http://www.guernsey.police.uk/article/105893/Missing-Person---Gillian-Sarahs

This is a tough one...

So, typically - if there can be said to be a 'typically' - when someone goes missing on Guernsey and if they are not found alive, in what sort of place would they be found? Close to their homes? close to the water, having washed back ashore? at the bottoms of cliffs? near old war emplacements?

So, typically - if there can be said to be a 'typically' - when someone goes missing on Guernsey and if they are not found alive, in what sort of place would they be found? Close to their homes? close to the water, having washed back ashore? at the bottoms of cliffs? near old war emplacements?

Well, I can vaguely remember a couple of people who have committed suicide by jumping off cliffs but their bodies were found. The area where Gillian lives is pretty flat and I believe she left her house on foot, but she could have caught the bus somewhere. I don't know Gillian, but people say (pure speculation AFAIK) that she committed suicide by walking into the sea. I'm not aware of any evidence of this and as far as I know she is still regarded as a MP by police. Maybe someone reading this will know, is it quite a common method of suicide for someone who lives by the sea to just walk right in it and not come back ?

Well, I can vaguely remember a couple of people who have committed suicide by jumping off cliffs but their bodies were found. The area where Gillian lives is pretty flat and I believe she left her house on foot, but she could have caught the bus somewhere. I don't know Gillian, but people say (pure speculation AFAIK) that she committed suicide by walking into the sea. I'm not aware of any evidence of this and as far as I know she is still regarded as a MP by police. Maybe someone reading this will know, is it quite a common method of suicide for someone who lives by the sea to just walk right in it and not come back ?
That's how the author Virginia Woolf died in 1941. She walked into the sea and her body was not found till three weeks later. It's not a common thing, that sort of suicide, but it does occur. I remember a case in England perhaps six months ago and there may have been others not publicized. I can't recall of reading of it happening here in the U.S. but am sure that it does.

That's how the author Virginia Woolf died in 1941. She walked into the sea and her body was not found till three weeks later. It's not a common thing, that sort of suicide, but it does occur. I remember a case in England perhaps six months ago and there may have been others not publicized. I can't recall of reading of it happening here in the U.S. but am sure that it does.

Well perhaps that is what happened to Gillian then. It was so cold in February and the sea was freezing, it just seems like such an uncomfortable way to go. Sorry if that seems like a ridiculous statement.

Feb 1, 2013: 'Fast ferries to the UK were cancelled today due to the weather'
http://www.thisisguernsey.com/news/2013/02/01/newsroom-live-1-february-2013/

Air temp was 8C that day.

I can easily see how a person could succumb to the water quickly in rough, cold conditions like that, especially if clothed. I can't so easily see how Gillian would have got out far enough out to ensure she wasn't washed back, or why her body still hasn't been located though. It's sad to think of this lady out there in the ocean.

Are there any cliffs where she could have fallen, where the tide doesn't reach and she might still be lying? I know this happened to someone across the water and they weren't found for months, but I'm not familiar enough with the island's geography to know if it's a possibility here. I hope people are still being asked to be on the lookout for Gillian, to make sure she's brought home.

I used to live on Jersey (sister island a few miles away, to those not familiar) and I remember a lady going missing there, and being found in one of the reservoirs, having committed suicide.

However, seems strange to go shopping if you were planning to kill yourself shortly afterwards.

Can they really be sure she didn't leave the island? It woulld be easy to get onto the ferry for Jersey or UK - never used to need a passport for that when I lived there. Would there be any way of knowing if she did that, if she paid cash for a foot passenger ticket.

The shopping seemed odd to me too. I was thinking about ferries, and guessed police checked cctv. I can't find any verification of that though. Or much info at all. A plane was used in the search for the first week, and there were sightings. All ruled out by Feb 12th though. Then...nothing, it looks like.

Feb 11, 2013: 'Missing Gillian seen twice'
http://www.thisisguernsey.com/news/2013/02/11/missing-gillian-seen-twice/

Feb 12, 2013: ' Police: no evidence to suggest the involvement of a third party'
https://www.facebook.com/guernseypolice/posts/211358342342103

From a cursory search, it seems as though mid Feb marked the end of publicity/search efforts. :(

The body of this man who went missing off the coast of Aldernay was located on the shore in France...maybe a missing person's notice about Gillian in French could be shared on the mp's fb page for French citizens? There is quite a good one, I just have to find it again.

Are there any cliffs where she could have fallen, where the tide doesn't reach and she might still be lying? I know this happened to someone across the water and they weren't found for months, but I'm not familiar enough with the island's geography to know if it's a possibility here. I hope people are still being asked to be on the lookout for Gillian, to make sure she's brought home.

Oh yes, there are plenty of cliffs where she could have fallen/jumped where the tide doesn't reach. Not close to where she lived though, although she could have walked or caught a bus.

Can they really be sure she didn't leave the island? It woulld be easy to get onto the ferry for Jersey or UK - never used to need a passport for that when I lived there. Would there be any way of knowing if she did that, if she paid cash for a foot passenger ticket.

Things have changed big time on that, you absolutely would not be able to get on a ferry to Jersey, France or UK without ID. Ever since all this terrorist stuff things have changed. Actually I have been caught out a couple of times, gone to get on the ferry then realised "oh *****, forgot my passport" because never used to need it ! Anyway managed to go home and come back quickly with passport as I live near the harbour.

Things have changed big time on that, you absolutely would not be able to get on a ferry to Jersey, France or UK without ID. Ever since all this terrorist stuff things have changed. Actually I have been caught out a couple of times, gone to get on the ferry then realised "oh *****, forgot my passport" because never used to need it ! Anyway managed to go home and come back quickly with passport as I live near the harbour.

Really? My children go on the car ferry to Jersey from UK every summer with my parents and none of them have ever had a passport (children not parents!). They're off in 2 weeks, I'd better check! Unless its only the registered owner of the car who needs ID?

Apologies, Jersey to Guernsey travel does not require ID, but travel from islands to UK does.

http://www.visitguernsey.com/visas-and_customs

Phew, I was worried I'd be stuck with them for the entire 6 weeks holiday :floorlaugh:

Back to the Missing case ..... so could she have got to Jersey without anyone realising? Not sure why she would, but it might explain why there have been no sightings in Guernsey.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back