Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole-Great Show Also Disturbing.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Morgan Freeman's "Through the Wormhole" is a show on the Science Channel every Wednesday. It's a fascinating show. Each week Morgan Freeman asks a question and then explains how scientists are working on finding answers. Many different scientists appear on the show. When Morgan Freeman was last on Letterman, Dave said he and his son have seen every episode.

I record them and watch them later. I just watched a show and it is disturbing. The question was; Can our minds be hacked. (Not with an axe, like a computer hacker.)

As per usual scientists are working on things related to that question. The one's shown on the show are working for the good, but it also showed how it could be used for evil.

It's late and I can't sleep so I'm just going to mention one part that particularly interested me.

One scientist is studying the brain while we sleep. She takes sleeping subjects and plays a tone. The brain doesn't react. (So much for learning while sleeping.) However, the nose is still active and can relate to smells. (They didn't say this on the show, but I assume that's for survival. Like smelling fire smoke.)

Anyhoo, she in addition to the tone she started adding smells. She used the smell of rotting fish in connection with one particular tone. She could see the brain activity from the nose as it reacted to the bad smell.

The next day, while the subject was awake, she'd play the tone and the brain would react as it did to the smell of rotting fish. What's really evil about that is it could be used for political purposes.

Say candidate A is the candidate you want to vote for. During the night some bad guy working for candidate B breaks into your house and plays the voice of candidate A while also releasing an unpleasant odor. It could make the sound of candidate A's voice unpleasant to you now.

Sounds like a great show, I hope it's available on demand or on Netflix, since of course I don't get the Science Channel :sigh:

Thanks Steely!

I love that show (bores my family to tears, though). I suspect the tone/odor idea will be used for advertising (somehow), first. Now doesn't that just give you the warm fuzzies?m:facepalm:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoney12
Back