850 users online (117 members and 733 guests)  

Websleuths News

Girl's beating broadcast on net

http://www.canada.com/regina/leaderp...3-a11d34d8f698

SASKATOON -- Teen violence is reaching new levels in Saskatoon in the form of frightening incidents of planned attacks that draw swarms of cheering bystanders and at times are widely circulated as video on the Internet.

Jessica, 14, and a friend were waiting for a ride home from school on March 4 when she was approached by a group of girls, she said in an interview Thursday.

"Two jumped on me and the one jumped on my friend," Jessica said. "They just started kicking me in the head and punching me. We were just kind of in shock that it happened.

"I had a chunk of hair ripped out, I had goose eggs on the back of my head and a bruise on my temple."

She said she was surrounded by nearly 100 onlookers who were cheering and shouting obscenities during the planned fight.

She found out later the fight had been taped by one of the bystanders, uploaded into a computer and widely distributed via e-mail and MSN.

Is it just me, or does this whole generation seem to have less compassion and less disregard for life?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Are the girls going to be punished? That is horrible, why would anyone want to even watch something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess
    Are the girls going to be punished? That is horrible, why would anyone want to even watch something like that?
    That really disturbed me, no where in the entire article was there anything mentioned about charges pending or filed.

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess
    That is horrible, why would anyone want to even watch something like that?
    There is a large- and growing- group of young people who tape things like this for "points." Kind of like a scavenger hunt. They are sometimes called faceoffs or hunts, and "teams" compete for the best videos.

Websites like this may help fill you in on the "how's" but not the "why's"

http://www.homegrownforums.com/

Here is an announcement of a "faceoff" from 12/04 and the list of "tasks" to be done:
    http://homegrownforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1254

The ending date is the 9th of April.

To decide who wins the competition, each video is watched by a WHOLE group. The group can only be the groups participating in the faceoff. Your group will then decide who's group has the best video. Make sure you relate to the amount of tasks complete and the level at which the stunts were performed. Other factors, like editing can also be a bonus because it makes the video better obviously.
    Related:
    "Happy Slap" craze
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4185441.stm

There have been quite a few incidents in the news lately that I have suspected were part of one of these hunts- the kid who beat up the Easter Bunny in the mall, for example. That was one item on a list of "tasks" I had read. Whether that idiot kid was part of one of these "teams," I do not know, but I suspect it.
    Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated. -Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Is it just me, or does this whole generation seem to have less compassion and less disregard for life?

It's not just you.

How can we expect them to have compassion, when we, as adults, dont appear to have compassion? We have gotten ourselves into this mess by teaching our youth that not all life has the same value.

Yes kids today are alot more warped than in the old days.

To say that an entire generation has no compassion is ridiculous. I do not believe that to be true. The kids I know are very compassionate. There have always been bad people and bad things happening throughout time. This is a terrible story, but to say all kids today are like this is like saying every german is a nazi.