1168 users online (223 members and 945 guests)  

Websleuths News

Woof: Wearable Computers for Dogs Are Coming

Wow. From MIT Technology Review:

"In an early study, the researchers equipped a dog vest with an Arduino microprocessor and tested four different sensors that dogs could activate by biting, tugging, or putting their mouth nearby. The three service dogs participating in the test quickly learned to activate the sensors to set off a tone, Jackson says. A paper detailing the groupís initial findings will be presented at ISWC.

Beyond helping disabled people navigate more effectively, FIDO could enable bomb-sniffing dogs to communicate with handlers remotely about what specific type of bomb theyíve encountered, and rescue dogs could remotely alert a human team that theyíve found an injured person. A grant from Google will allow the researchers to study some of these applications. Eventually, Jackson could even see a device that would let a pet dog alert you if itís hungry or needs to go out."

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...vice-for-dogs/
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    Eventually, Jackson could even see a device that would let a pet dog alert you if itís hungry or needs to go out."
    LOL. Like they need a computer to tell us that? Cats and dogs have had thousands of years to effectively learn how to tell us when they are hungry or want to go out.

I do not think they will decide to use a computer instead of relaying the info the old fashioned way!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    LOL. Like they need a computer to tell us that? Cats and dogs have had thousands of years to effectively learn how to tell us when they are hungry or want to go out.

I do not think they will decide to use a computer instead of relaying the info the old fashioned way!
    I will say that I taught Guppy how to tell me he needs to go out by pushing a button that sounded a door bell. After that we moved to a bell he would ring and now he finally just barks and runs in circles. But, I can see this working in many wonderful ways for service dogs.
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.