1109 users online (228 members and 881 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FL - Marissa Alexander for firing warning shots at husband, Jacksonville, 2010

Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots. (CBS)
    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.
    ---
    Under Florida's mandatory minimum sentencing requirements Alexander could [not] receive a lesser sentence, even though she has never been in trouble with the law before. Judge James Daniel said the law did not allow for extenuating or mitigating circumstances to reduce the sentence below the 20-year minimum.
    ---
    more, with a picture, at the link
    Que sçay-je?

This Florida law is absurd.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-20-Life

Once knew someone whose ex beat her so badly she was in the ICU. She got a protective order. Her attorney advised her against getting a gun because if she shot him, even at her home, it would appear pre-meditated...

FWIW, no state allows for "warning shots".......and when you go for your classes on pistols to get your permit, they teach you not to fire them & the repurcussions of doing so.
    This particular female went back into her house a second time and therein lies the problem. How threatened could she have felt--and then to send off "warning shots"....a very aggressive move under the law.

p.s. FL is beautiful

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Here's his side... fwiw

"I never put my hands on Marissa Alexander," said 36-year-old Rico Gray,

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz2Z4giDj5D

Quote Originally Posted by Ros View Post
    Once knew someone whose ex beat her so badly she was in the ICU. She got a protective order. Her attorney advised her against getting a gun because if she shot him, even at her home, it would appear pre-meditated...
    Yes, depending on the state she lives in. Some states have various thresholds for self defense.
    There is one state that requires if someone breaks into your home (and is threatening you), you must retreat if you have any option to do so.

It's good to know your own state laws 'cause they're all different.
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

Question This news article is dated May 2012

Why is this posted now and what's been going on since then?

Quote Originally Posted by KALI View Post
    Why is this posted now and what's been going on since then?
    Because our society likes to compare apples to oranges......

Arrow More info in other article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1530035.html

This states when she went to her former home to retreive some items, unexpectedly found estranged husband there; and they argued.

She exited home, went to car, got gun (or garage, per another article), and WITH THE GUN RE-ENTERED HOME, etc, fired it.

This is a quote from Corey (of the Zimmerman prosecution) (BBM)
    “When she [Alexander] discharges a firearm in the direction of human beings, the Legislature says it’s dangerous,” Corey told Brown. “And one of the reasons is because the bullet went through the wall where one of the children was standing. It happened to deflect up into the ceiling, but if it had deflected down it could have hit one of the children.”

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz2Z4nWpG8C

She had a restraining order against him, but on encountering him, did not leave.
    Why the heck not?
    She could have exited home, called LE to come to be present, 'keep the peace' (there's another term for it) while she retrieved items from the home.

It seems, imo, charges on the first case did nothing to improve her judgment (from first link, BBM):

"Alexander was also charged with domestic battery four months after the shooting in another assault on Gray. She pleaded no contest and was sentenced to time served."

Quote Originally Posted by ATasteOfHoney View Post
    FWIW, no state allows for "warning shots".......and when you go for your classes on pistols to get your permit, they teach you not to fire them & the repurcussions of doing so.
    This particular female went back into her house a second time and therein lies the problem. How threatened could she have felt--and then to send off "warning shots"....a very aggressive move under the law.

p.s. FL is beautiful

Florida is an amazing place to live. I've said it before: the Sunshine Laws emphasize things that go on all over the country.
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

This woman's case could be taken either way. Either the opinion she got too much time when no one was even hurt or that she had no business going in with a gun in the first place since the RO basically told her not to.

I rthink she should be set free right now. JMO
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by al66pine View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1530035.html

This states when she went to her former home to retreive some items, unexpectedly found estranged husband there; and they argued.

She exited home, went to car, got gun (or garage, per another article), and WITH THE GUN RE-ENTERED HOME, etc, fired it.

This is a quote from Corey (of the Zimmerman prosecution) (BBM)
    “When she [Alexander] discharges a firearm in the direction of human beings, the Legislature says it’s dangerous,” Corey told Brown. “And one of the reasons is because the bullet went through the wall where one of the children was standing. It happened to deflect up into the ceiling, but if it had deflected down it could have hit one of the children.”

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...#ixzz2Z4nWpG8C

She had a restraining order against him, but on encountering him, did not leave.
    Why the heck not?
    She could have exited home, called LE to come to be present, 'keep the peace' (there's another term for it) while she retrieved items from the home.

It seems, imo, charges on the first case did nothing to improve her judgment (from first link, BBM):

"Alexander was also charged with domestic battery four months after the shooting in another assault on Gray. She pleaded no contest and was sentenced to time served."
    The way you write it, it seems simple. But real life often isn't. Were her kids there? Where were they in relation to him? Could the kids leave? If the kids couldn't leave, neither could she IMO.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

This is an interesting read. http://www.scribd.com/doc/89763383/S...n-for-Immunity

Twenty years seems harsh, but I agree, after reading the facts, that stand your ground doesn't apply here.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    The way you write it, it seems simple. But real life often isn't. Were her kids there? Where were they in relation to him? Could the kids leave? If the kids couldn't leave, neither could she IMO.
    Read the link that I just posted. They were his kids and he was trying to leave.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast