Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tracey was a broken person and I agree with Myst, a hospital is a better choice. She wasn't one of the entitled ones roaming around and surrepticiously murdering people she was a victim too. This wasn't a rational act but it is like Angela Yates in so many ways. Where the reality just breaks into the psychosis. The others we see so much of is the sociopathic kind with planning and forethought and knowing right from wrong.

Andrea Yates and this 17 year old "child" are of no comparison.....

Andrea Yates had a "documented" history of mental illness and was an adult.

This "child" knew right from wrong. A person who is angry, wanting revenge, payback, retribution, is not mentally ill and they know what they are doing is wrong.

What if: She goes to hospital.....what "mental" illness would she be treated for.....she was not delusional, breaking with reality, psycotic, or anything else.

So lets just say she goes to hospital and then gets out and then maybe she wants revenge on another person and kills them.

People are sexually abused, physically abused, emotionally abused, etc. and they don't kill kids. She had a choice.......to kill or not to kill......

I don't see this 17 year old as a child........she is not 7, 12, 14,

She was only a very short time away from being an adult, that is why this was not transferred to a lower court.

I agree her horrible Mother(that is a stretch) was lousy. This girl was doomed from the start........and now the pattern has continued.......you are a product of your environment and your parents.

She should have been removed from the house and put in care long ago.

Hopefully she will get the help she need in prison........at least she won't have kids and the pattern of abuse and neglect will be repeated.....

Teach your children well.

Tracey Dyess is both a killer and a victim, court files assert.

The question is whether to lock her up for life or to give her a second chance after years of abuse.

Dyess is charged in Cass County with setting a fire two months before her 18th birthday that killed her sister and nephew. She told authorities she meant to hurt her stepfather because he was abusing her. Authorities say she set the fire March 31 at her Griswold home while her family slept. Her mother and stepfather escaped. Her sister Jessica, 13, and nephew, Kaleb, 6, died.

The next step in the case is a hearing on a request by Dyess' lawyer to move the matter to juvenile court, a court date that was postponed last week. She is charged as an adult with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder and arson.
    http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs....510160349/1001

Page also contains updates to DEBBIE STREET and BRIAN STREET
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I wondered what had happed to Tracey. I remember when this happened and it was a heartbreaking story. Afterward Tracey took the police to a safe that no one was allowed to get into except the dad. Inside were numerous pictures of Tracey naked at different ages...of her and her stepfather having sex, etc, etc. There was no way that the stepfather could call Tracey a liar. The proof was in the pictures.

It is so sad that this young girl didn't know someone that she could confide in.
    It sounds like they did a lot of moving around and so she may have never gotten close or comfortable enough with a school counselor or teacher to tell what was happening to her.

We have no way of knowing what was going through her mind when she set the fire. We don't know if her mind just snapped...if the stepfather had been in to visit her in the early morning hours and she couldn't stand it even one more time. We don't know.

I know I will follow this case because to me it is just the saddest thing. It is to bad that it wasn't the children who all got out of the house and the pervert stepfather left to burn. Evidentally Tracey couldn't talk to her mother.
    It wasn't like the sexual abuse just started. She must have had a good idea how her mother would react if she told her. From what I remember Tracey didn't seem to hang out with any kids her age but was seen at the store with her stepfather off and on. Sounds like with all of the moving she was pretty isolated from others. I also remember the neighbors saying they would see her in the yard with her dog and she would speak to them and seemed like a nice young girl.

I don't know how the mother can even look Tracey in the eyes. When your husband tells you that you aren't allowed to get into the family safe wouldn't you wonder why? I would have made darn sure I got in there. Sad all the way around. If memory serves me I believe Tracey has a twin sister that lives with the bio father. Wonder why Tracey couldn't live with him too?

Most violent criminals were horribly abused as children, most child victims of sexual abuse & physical abuse do NOT grow up to be murderers. This girl doesn't deserve a free pass because she's a 17 yr old girl. What about 22 yr old boys?

I have enormous sympathy for her and also feel her step-father should be charged with facilitation of murder since he helped her reach the desperate point she found herself.

I don't think she deserves a free pass, but neither do I think that she should rot in jail for the rest of her life. We're the greatest country in the world, but we can't rehabilitate a teenager who suffered horrific abuse? I don't buy that. I'm not ready to throw the towel in on any kid who can be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I don't think she deserves a free pass, but neither do I think that she should rot in jail for the rest of her life. We're the greatest country in the world, but we can't rehabilitate a teenager who suffered horrific abuse? I don't buy that. I'm not ready to throw the towel in on any kid who can be saved.
    I am. What if after all that saving when they are free to walk, you discover the hard way that your efforts have failed?

Charles Manson comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    I am. What if after all that saving when they are free to walk, you discover the hard way that your efforts have failed?

Charles Manson comes to mind.

Well, whether we like it or not, most of the people in our prisons will one day walk out of those doors. We can either cage them like animals and "deal with them" when they're free to commit other crimes, or we can find out and try to treat what made them commit the crimes in the first place and try to make them better than they were when they went inside. If we're not even willing to try and make the "KIDS" inside better people, what does that say about us?

I've come to this topic and left it three different times because this case really gets to me. I am a SURVIVOR of repeated sexual abuse, so my opinion may be somewhat biased. Anyway...here goes...

No, she doesn't deserve a free pass...but she doesn't deserve prison either. Yes, she murdered her siblings...but prison is only going to offer MORE abuse. This girl needs to be in a mental hospital. And for those who have never suffered through sexual abuse, you have no right to say she doesn't have a mental illness. You have no idea how this type of abuse can affect you mentally and physically. I've seen several people ask about teachers, etc. I don't know how things work in the town she was living in....but where I lived...no one would listen. I went to several adults and received no help. I can't say if I would have killed the one man who abused me the most, because he didn't live long enough to give me the opportunity to make that decision. But honestly...the thought has crossed my mind on several occasions.

This child (and yes, mentally she will still be a child) needs help. She needs love and support from the community. This whole family seems to have been screwed up and the mother should be sitting in prison as well. She is partially responsible for what has happened. The step-father should rot in jail.

(stepping down off soap box)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anneoakley63 For This Useful Post:

I am afraid that I come off on the side of the child. And a child she was. A child who was being abused by her stepfather, with a mother who would not listen or respond to her, who was being isolated from others. She was also being manipulated by an adult. Why would she tell anyone? The one person who was responsible for caring for and protecting her- didn't. Why would she think anyone else would? So instead she was full of rage, that was being fanned every time she got abused again. No end to it that she could see. He was the all powerful one. She saw her family being physically abused by him. She was being sexually abused by him. And no one seemed to intervene. So one day she says enough. She felt powerless against the stepfather, so that ruled out attacking him directly. So she started a fire- hoping he would die in the fire. She knew that fire dept and police dept. would show up. People who might protect her. There was no intention of killing her siblings- she probably felt that she would be saving them too. She was thinking, feeling and reacting at the age she was when the abuse began. When the rage began. She was responding at that age level. Did she think of the other possible consequence's? No probably not. Kids that age don't think of those kinds of things.
    What happened was tragic. But I don't think that she needs prison. She needs treatment to learn to deal with that rage. She needs to learn what a "normal" life is like. She needs the opportunity to learn that she is more than just a body for someone to use.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

So is it assumed that Street also sexualy abused Tracey's twin Amy?

Quote Originally Posted by anneoakley63
    I've come to this topic and left it three different times because this case really gets to me. I am a SURVIVOR of repeated sexual abuse, so my opinion may be somewhat biased. Anyway...here goes...

No, she doesn't deserve a free pass...but she doesn't deserve prison either. Yes, she murdered her siblings...but prison is only going to offer MORE abuse. This girl needs to be in a mental hospital. And for those who have never suffered through sexual abuse, you have no right to say she doesn't have a mental illness. You have no idea how this type of abuse can affect you mentally and physically. I've seen several people ask about teachers, etc. I don't know how things work in the town she was living in....but where I lived...no one would listen. I went to several adults and received no help. I can't say if I would have killed the one man who abused me the most, because he didn't live long enough to give me the opportunity to make that decision. But honestly...the thought has crossed my mind on several occasions.

This child (and yes, mentally she will still be a child) needs help. She needs love and support from the community. This whole family seems to have been screwed up and the mother should be sitting in prison as well. She is partially responsible for what has happened. The step-father should rot in jail.

(stepping down off soap box)
    Really good post. Lots of people failed her and most importently her mother did. She had no direction. She does need extensive counseling. She may not be rehabilitable but this is a person living in psychological hell. When the abuse starts at an early age the child cannot differentiate until and unless they have a life changing experience. This child chose an experience that didn't have the right results. It is so sad anyway you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    I am afraid that I come off on the side of the child. And a child she was. A child who was being abused by her stepfather, with a mother who would not listen or respond to her, who was being isolated from others. She was also being manipulated by an adult. Why would she tell anyone? The one person who was responsible for caring for and protecting her- didn't. Why would she think anyone else would? So instead she was full of rage, that was being fanned every time she got abused again. No end to it that she could see. He was the all powerful one. She saw her family being physically abused by him. She was being sexually abused by him. And no one seemed to intervene. So one day she says enough. She felt powerless against the stepfather, so that ruled out attacking him directly. So she started a fire- hoping he would die in the fire. She knew that fire dept and police dept. would show up. People who might protect her. There was no intention of killing her siblings- she probably felt that she would be saving them too. She was thinking, feeling and reacting at the age she was when the abuse began. When the rage began. She was responding at that age level. Did she think of the other possible consequence's? No probably not. Kids that age don't think of those kinds of things.
    What happened was tragic. But I don't think that she needs prison. She needs treatment to learn to deal with that rage. She needs to learn what a "normal" life is like. She needs the opportunity to learn that she is more than just a body for someone to use.
    Most people don't understand that sexual abuse victims (especially ones who had suffered repeated, horrific abuse) tend to become emotionally arrested at the age the abuse began. In this girl's case it was 4. Her thought processes re the fire settinh seem to be similar to those of a 4 year old, if you look at it.
    I lived with someone who had been horribly sexually abused from the age of 3 until the age of 7. He had rage issues, and when he became angry would respond much like a 3 year old would--kicking,screaming, slamming doors, punching/striking/throwing inanimate objects. Basically a tantrum on steroids. What is irritating and tiresome in a 3 year old is frightening/dangerous in an adult, but that is exactly the level on which they operate--often unaware of WHY they respond the way they do.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
    Most people don't understand that sexual abuse victims (especially ones who had suffered repeated, horrific abuse) tend to become emotionally arrested at the age the abuse began. In this girl's case it was 4. Her thought processes re the fire settinh seem to be similar to those of a 4 year old, if you look at it.
    I lived with someone who had been horribly sexually abused from the age of 3 until the age of 7. He had rage issues, and when he became angry would respond much like a 3 year old would--kicking,screaming, slamming doors, punching/striking/throwing inanimate objects. Basically a tantrum on steroids. What is irritating and tiresome in a 3 year old is frightening/dangerous in an adult, but that is exactly the level on which they operate--often unaware of WHY they respond the way they do.
    Just breaks my heart but you are correct. If so many others weren't in denial these children could be helped. Of course, it would help to have better laws in place for the abusers.

Dyess' Deal

Cass County, November 17, 2005 - She says the men in her life abused her, so she struck back against one of her attackers. Tonight, Channel 13 learned there's a tentative deal in place for a Griswold teen to admit her role in a fire that killed two young children. The information we've uncovered shows Tracey Dyess will admit her guilt next week.

Tracey Dyess now gets a chance to tell everyone what happened inside her Griswold home more than six months ago. Right now, Tracey faces two counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder and one count of arson for the fire that killed Kaleb and Jessie Dyess. Tracey told investigators she was trying to kill her stepfather, Brian Street that night. She says Street forced her to have sex. The pictures to prove it, she says were hidden in bedroom safe. If convicted on all charges, Tracey could spend the rest of her life in prison. However a tentative deal in place could cut decades off that sentence. Tracey's grandfather Frank Street confirmed to me Tracey told her family she could be out of prison in 17 years.

That could mean the plea agreement drops the two murder counts against Tracey. Neither her attorney nor the Cass county attorney will confirm that, but both say they're satisfied with the deal with Tracey....

http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.as...36452&nav=LotJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast