1463 users online (269 members and 1194 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165

    19 children dead, dozens ill, after eating tainted school meal in India's Bihar state

    School meal kills 19 in India's Bihar state. (BBC News)
    At least 19 children have died and dozens more have fallen sick after eating a tainted school meal in India's eastern state of Bihar.

    The poisoning occurred at a government school in the village of Marakh in Saran district.

    A probe has been launched and 200,000 rupees ($3,370) in compensation offered to the families of each of the dead.

    India's Mid-Day Meal Scheme provides free food to try to boost attendance, but often suffers from poor hygiene.
    ---
    A total of 47 students of a primary school in Dharmasati Gandaman village fell sick on Tuesday after eating the free lunch.
    ---
    "We suspect it to be poisoning caused by insecticides in vegetable or rice," Amarjeet Sinha, a senior education official, told the BBC.

    A doctor treating the children at a hospital in Patna said contaminated vegetable oil could have lead to the poisoning.

    Patna-based journalist Amarnath Tewary says villagers told local reporters that similar cases of food poisoning after having Mid Day Meals had taken place in the area previously.
    ---
    more at the link above

  2. #2
    BetteDavisEyes's Avatar
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    22,149
    21 children die after eating school lunch in India

    INDRAJIT SINGH, AP
    1 hour ago

    PATNA, India (AP) At least 21 children died and more than two dozen others were sick after eating a free school lunch that was tainted with insecticide, Indian officials said Wednesday.

    It was not immediately clear how chemicals ended up in the food in a school in the eastern state of Bihar. One official said the food may not have been properly washed before it was cooked.

    The children, between the ages of 8 and 11, fell ill Tuesday soon after eating lunch in Gandamal village in Masrakh block, 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of the state capital of Patna. School authorities immediately stopped serving the meal of rice, lentils, soybeans and potatoes as the children started vomiting...

    http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...ildren-Deaths/

    I didn't see this thread and started another. I've asked mod to delete. Sorry.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    Death toll now at 23, according to AP.

    Cooks recount horror of Indian school lunch deaths
    PATNA, India (AP) Soon after they served the daily free lunch they had prepared for dozens of children at a rural Indian school, the two cooks realized something was very wrong. The students started fainting. Within hours, they began dying.
    ---
    Authorities discovered a container of pesticide in the school's cooking area next to the vegetable cooking oil and mustard oil, but it wasn't yet known if that container was the source, according to Amarjeet Sinha, a top official in the state of Bihar, where the tragedy took place.
    ---
    more at the Daily Oklahoman link above

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Death toll now at 23, according to AP.

    Cooks recount horror of Indian school lunch deaths

    more at the Daily Oklahoman link above
    Container of pesticide? Did somebody use pesticide instead of cooking oil (by mistake or on purpose)? Why did they keep this container in the kitchen?
    I really don't believe this is the case of "unwashed" food. If there was so much pesticide in unwashed food, a lot more people would be dying.
    I think it was added to the food. Probably by mistake.
    Just my opinion

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,155
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3615274.html

    "The two cooks were not spared either.

    Manju Devi, 30, ate some of the food and fainted. Her three children, ages 5, 8 and 13, fell ill as well. All were in stable condition Thursday.

    While Pano Devi, 35, didn't eat the tainted food, her three children did. Two of them died and the third, a 4-year-old daughter, was in the hospital.

    "Sinha said one of the cooks told authorities that the cooking oil appeared different than usual, but the principal told her to use it anyway. Doctors believed the food contained an organophosphate used as an insecticide, he said."

    "Police were searching for the principal, who fled after the students started falling sick, Sinha said."
    Judgment is not about destruction, but about setting things right.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia -- Redneck Country
    Posts
    7,175
    They might want to take a closer look at that principal, maybe he is a nutcase.

    Poisoning via pesticide is a common form of suicide in India, I think it accounts for over 40% of their suicides. I am sure it also accounts for plenty of murders too. It is very common in rural areas so this could have been intentional.

  7. #7
    BetteDavisEyes's Avatar
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    22,149

    Another school poisoning in India

    23 more ill after school lunch in India

    At least 23 treated in latest case


    Author: By Harmeet Singh and Ashley Fantz CNN

    Published On: Jul 19 2013 07:30:32 AM EDT Updated On: Jul 19 2013 09:38:32 AM EDT

    BIHAR, India (CNN) -
    In less than a week's time at two separate India schools, police said Friday, they believe that children have been poisoned by their school lunches.

    At least 23 students in the southwestern coastal state of Goa were treated at a hospital after they got sick at lunch, authorities said. The students, in the third to fifth grades at St. Joseph School, have been released from treatment, Vishram Borkar, a police superintendent in Goa, told CNN.

    St. Joseph School is a government-aided private institution, he said...

    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/a...z/-/index.html

  8. #8
    BetteDavisEyes's Avatar
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    22,149

    Poisonings in Pakistan, too

    Pakistani accused of poisoning to death 22 in feud

    ZAHEER BABAR, AP
    6 hours ago

    LAHORE, Pakistan (AP) Police have arrested a cook in central Pakistan who is accused of poisoning to death 22 people as part of a political feud between two branches of the same family, a local police chief said.

    The incident in the town of Mailsi in Punjab province followed recent provincial elections in which Arsal Khan Khichi lost to his cousin Jehanzaeb Khan Khichi, police chief Sadiq Dogar said late Thursday...

    http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...tan-Poisoning/



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-20-2015, 11:14 AM
  2. Mozambique, 69 dead from tainted beer
    By Yoda in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2015, 05:11 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2012, 06:33 AM
  4. 2 dead, dozens hurt in school bus crash in Mo.
    By noZme in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 01:44 PM