801 users online (107 members and 694 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA - Samara Banks, 27, & 3 sons killed by drag racing Philly driver, 16 July 2013

Tragic! A 27 year old mother was killed instantly and her 9 month old and 2 year old also died while trying to cross Roosevelt Boulevard last evening. Two other sons aged 4 and 5 are in hospital in bad condition.

A 22 year old driving a 2012 Audi did stop and is being questioned and tox done as well.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...t-and-run.html

On the best of days even at a light this is a virtual flippin speedway. Please pray for this family.

Hate Roosevelt Blvd!

Filly,your link has been updated. A third child died this am. Ugh ! Why would she cross with 4 little ones on that road with no light ! Doesn't excuse the drag racer though.

the article says the driver was drag racing, as mentioned by gm8549.

so ridiculous.

ugh.

Witnesses told police the family was mowed down by 2012 Audi that was drag racing with a 1994 Honda.
    Read more at LINK

I pray for the remaining child of this family. He is going to need it. He is the only survivor. This is so incredibly sad.

The condition of the car tells a horrible story - its a mess - this was one dreadful accident.

tragic

Two drag racers arrested.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=9174714

One of them is facing charges for bilking Medicare is some scheme. He drove a flippin ambulance for heaven sakes. he should have stayed up in Lancaster.

In all honesty we all know that Boulevard is a crapshoot. I've lived on top of it my entire life basically. Admittedly and I hate to say it I never crossed with a Pram at night when my DD was a baby, but I did cross it with the Pram on the light. Still I shudder to think what could have happened. As kids we always took chances and crossed where there was no walk.

This is just devastating to this family.

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    How awful. Mom did what was best, held on to her babies while they crossed. No traffic light or pedestrian crossing, I am confused about this.. He shouldn't have been drag racing, look at how damage the vehicle. Reading some comments, this seems like a really fast road to begin with, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by keeponsearching View Post
    How awful. Mom did what was best, held on to her babies while they crossed. No traffic light or pedestrian crossing, I am confused about this.. He shouldn't have been drag racing, look at how damage the vehicle. Reading some comments, this seems like a really fast road to begin with, is that correct?
    Speed limit ranges from 40 - 50 depending on what section of the Blvd (middle lanes have underpasses). There are red light cameras, however that does not stop many from speeding. Some sections one has to go faster than the limit to avoid getting hit. It actually feels safer to me at drive time, too much congestion to speed. I avoid it like the plague late at night though.

Filly,I am in Philadelphia now. This morning's Inquirer had a picture of a mother carrying

her kid across the Blvd dodging cars !!!

Quote Originally Posted by gm8549 View Post
    Filly,I am in Philadelphia now. This morning's Inquirer had a picture of a mother carrying

her kid across the Blvd dodging cars !!!
    People would not believe it unless they saw it, right?

Also a little girl hit on her bike in Lawncrest at the Boulevard in critical condition.

I'm telling ya GM. It's crazy.

17 Pedestrians killed within five years

http://articles.philly.com/2013-07-1...vard-mid-block

This is essentially a twelve land highway which has residential streets leading to it with no crossovers save for one that I know of.

That's just the pedestrian deaths above. I have seen more mangled cars and hear crashing in the middle of the night far too much.

Sometimes though ya just have to cross this death trap.

FWIW as well you can often go up to eight or none blocks before another light. So for people without access to autos you have to walk those looooooong blocks before you can even get a light. Even then it's not safe because by the time you cross the first three lanes the light changed. You wait, and cross three more. Carry on, cross, and wait for the last three.

Admittedly we all have taken the chance to beat the traffic that was left at the last light.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    17 Pedestrians killed within five years

http://articles.philly.com/2013-07-1...vard-mid-block

This is essentially a twelve land highway which has residential streets leading to it with no crossovers save for one that I know of.

That's just the pedestrian deaths above. I have seen more mangled cars and hear crashing in the middle of the night far too much.

Sometimes though ya just have to cross this death trap.
    Traffic lights, speed bumps and a pedestrian crossover bridge may help...

http://ceephotos.karcor.com/wordpres...Detroit-MI.jpg

You know Filly,even when I drove in the city (pre 76 moving to small town Cape May),I never drove the Blvd. Yesterday there was an article saying this woman usually did cross at a light. That day,however,she changed her route to avoid someone she was afraid of.

In addition to the 17 killed,apparently many many more were hit but not killed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast