715 users online (95 members and 620 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

These Eyes

I just found this ad from an Annapolis Capital newspaper from January 4th, 1989. I also found the campaign in several other newspapers around the same time. Could FLEK have had something to do with the production of this ad?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It kind of looks like her, no?!

Here is the same photo in a color ad from 1985.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-SOFTCOL...item4ac6850011

Quote Originally Posted by trixandhoney View Post
    Well, it could be her "hand" in the photo... assuming she actually was a hand model.

I looked at the original note page to see if I could cross-reference the phone number written below "these eyes" in the notes with the doctor's number listed in the ad, but there was no match. Instead, I found that the number in the note (650-8880) matched a Texas business called Shaw Industries Incorporated located at 6300 N Loop 1604 E, San Antonio, TX 78247. Shaw Industries is a carpeting and flooring company, no obvious connection to the words "these eyes". Of course, the number could have been reassigned to Shaw Industries after the date that the note was written.

Shaw Industries itself could also be a red herring. The original note doesn't list an area code. It could just as well be Visages Photography in LA as previously suggest by others, Bojangles Restaurant in South Carolina, Poulson Law in Virginia, or many other personal and business phone numbers in different area codes around the country. The only thing that makes me suspect that it's Shaw Industries is that people usually write down the area code when they're calling long distance and only leave it out on the more local numbers. All the other distinctly Californian numbers include area codes. There's really no way to tell what the phone number meant to her or why she wrote it down.

I suppose it's possible that "these eyes" could refer to the ad. We'll probably never know that either, unfortunately. It's very curious.

Quote Originally Posted by trixandhoney View Post
    It kind of looks like her not in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum P.E. View Post
    It kind of looks like her not in the slightest.
    In YOUR opinion, you forgot to add. Jeez.

The color photo does not look like her, I agree.

No, it does not look like here. Look beyond that. As to the Ad, what is the ad about? Changing the color of your eyes. Why would a person changing her identity want to change the color of her eyes? If, in fact, the phone number does relate to this add.

Quote Originally Posted by Owutatangledweb View Post
    No, it does not look like here. Look beyond that. As to the Ad, what is the ad about? Changing the color of your eyes. Why would a person changing her identity want to change the color of her eyes? If, in fact, the phone number does relate to this add.
    Just to clarify, the telephone number does not match. The original poster just found an ad titled "these eyes" from 1989 that had a woman that "kind of, sort of" resembled FLEK. The ad was for an eye care center in Maryland. We have no information to connect FLEK to that state.

On the other hand, it has been reported that FLEK wore contact lenses. FWIW
    Please be aware that what I type is my opinion.

Last edited by KateB; 04-03-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    SwampMama

GUILTY!!!

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_of_2004.html

Every time I see "these eyes" written in this forum, that song plays in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
    Here is the same photo in a color ad from 1985.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-SOFTCOL...item4ac6850011
    Could it be her hand in the picture? In advertising, the hand and the face do not always belong to the same person. I wonder if there is any way to find out who the photographer was for that ad campaign.

I have a family member who is a foot model in LA. VERY FEW people are in this business.

This is her agency: http://www.bodypartsmodels.com/home.html

I don't know how many legit agencies there were back then, but you don't get a national ad (like the CIBA Vision one) without an agent. It's BIG bucks from just one national campaign.

I cannot call them (obviously, family there), but someone could investigate a little more...

Quote Originally Posted by reasonableguess View Post
    I have a family member who is a foot model in LA. VERY FEW people are in this business.

I don't know how many legit agencies there were back then, but you don't get a national ad (like the CIBA Vision one) without an agent. It's BIG bucks from just one national campaign.

I cannot call them (obviously, family there), but someone could investigate a little more...
    I am compiling a list of businesses/schools to post a link to from the Facebook page, (if they are on Facebook). This is a great one to add to it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by reasonableguess View Post

This is an excellent point! I worked in marketing research in corporate America for the last 30 years. I had a ton of directories and reference materials on the advertising industry from the 1980's. Unfortunately, we moved a few months ago and I threw them all out!

I am going to do some digging around.
    Last edited by ClaireNC; 07-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast