CA - Marcus Heddings, 2, dies of head trauma, San Jacinto, 23 Nov 2002

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
In the weeks before he died, 2½-year-old Marcus Heddings wasn't his usual smiley good-natured self.

A La Mesa couple who cared for him in November 2002 noticed he had a fading black eye and a large purple bruise behind his ear. He didn't want to play, and he kept holding his head and saying, "Ow."

About two weeks later, Marcus' father, skateboarding pro Neil Heddings, found the boy dead in his bed. An autopsy said Marcus' death was caused by "abusive head trauma" and revealed a bump on his head, along with bleeding and a dozen deep bruises in his brain.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20050404-9999-1m4marcus.html

A judge has sentenced professional skateboarder Neil Heddings to six years in state prison for his role in the 2002 death of his 2 1/2-year-old son.

A jury in November convicted Heddings of involuntary manslaughter. On Friday, Heddings told the judge he thinks about his son, Marcus, every day.

"I understand how (the jury) came to their decision. It's obvious something was going on with my son, and there was something I didn't do to protect him," Heddings said. "I wish I could've paid more attention."

A jury convicted Heddings' girlfriend, Christine "Pinky" Rams, 27, of second-degree murder and assault. Her sentencing was delayed Friday after she told the judge she wanted to change lawyers and seek a new trial based on inadequate counsel. She faces 25 years to life in prison.

Coroner's officials determined the child died as a result of several blows to the head.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/01/14/state/n011943S15.DTL

You know back in 1968 a neice of mine who was 3 years old at the time, died of something like this, but the truth is: her parents did not abuse her. If this had happened to this child today I'm sure they would be charged. There were three separate incidents very close together that caused her to die. 1) She was riding her trike in the front yard which had a downward slant and then a cement wall that ended at the sidewalk. Trikes have no brakes so she fell over the wall and onto the sidewalk. She bumped her head but seemed to be OK. 2) Next day they were at a friends house and the kids were all playing under a dining room table and they got to horsing around and she hit her head again on the table. The side of her face turned black and blue and they took her to the E.R. Doctors said she was OK and released her. Did not perform tests.

Two days later she was playing in the backyard with other kids and walked behind the swingset when someone was swinging and got hit in the head. She screamed, held her head, made it inside crying and then died.

The police questioned my bil who had to run to the hospital with her in his arms but he was not charged.

What happens with situations like this? Parents have to be careful to document everything, but if they do, they become suspect.

It sounded to me like the initial head injury was caused by the mother's boyfriend and nobody acted upon it when the child was in pain and throwing up, then he suffered more injuries. I think the mother's boyfriend and perhaps her too should be charged...

blueclouds said:
six years? a dead child = 6 years? I am speechless.
With credit for time served, Heddings will probably spend about 16 months in prison before being released, Zimel said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back