1200 users online (266 members and 934 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Australia - Gary Tweddle, 23, Blue Mountains NSW, 16 July 2013 - #1

MISSING - Gary Tweddle - 23 YO - Blue Mountains - NSW - Australia - 16/07/2013

Missing from: Fairmont Resort - Leura - Blue Mountains - New South Wales - Australia
    Last Seen: Fairmont Resort Leura - Tuesday morning 16th July 2013 after attending a function.
    Last Contact: After being separated from a group of friends, Mr Tweddle made contact via telephone to indicate that he was lost before either his battery was depleted or he lost service.

Physical Description:
    Hair: short brown hair
    Eyes: brown eyes
    Complexion: Fair
    Height:165-170cm (64-66 inches) (5'4"-5'6"ft) tall.

Clothing
    Checkered shirt
    Black jacket
    Blue jeans

GOOGLE MAP-Fairmont Resort Leura - Blue Mountains NSW

The Rural Fire Service, State Emergency Service and 75 police officers searched for Mr Tweddle on Thursday, with the search focusing on bushland along Sublime Point Road at Leura.
    Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

SOURCES:
    ABC News Report
    Australian Times.co.uk
    Yahoo
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 09-04-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Latest update:
    The Cremorne man had spoken to a friend shortly after midnight (AEST) and told him he was in bushland near a main road.

Police have been advised Mr Tweddle appeared in good spirits at the time but he hasn't been seen or heard from since.
    I am not certain when the telephone conversation took place -
    on the day he disappeared or if the night he disappeared.
    He has been missing for 3 days.

The current temp is 13C/55F. Rain is expected tomorrow (Friday) but the days after that look clear - which will help the searchers.

I hope they find him very soon.
    Its a very vast and dense area - many people go missing in the area.
    They do have a good record of finding people though.

There are posters in the town shops letting people know his is missing.

Mr Tweddle was born in the United Kingdom, growing up in Berkshire before relocating to the Gold Coast as a teenager. He moved to Sydney several years ago to pursue a career in business, and currently lives in the North Shore suburb of Cremorne.
    Souces:
    Daily Telegraph

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-man...719-2q7z8.html

Mr Tweddle's family and friends have launched an online appeal for anyone who saw him in the area to come forward.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-man...#ixzz2ZREOqFUS

https://www.facebook.com/HaveYouSeenGaryTweddle
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney

Opinions are my own and are not to be copied, repeated or used outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-0...36?section=nsw

Partners plea over man missing in Blue Mountains

(Video at Link)
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe." - Andy Rooney

Opinions are my own and are not to be copied, repeated or used outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission

Hope they find him soon, NSW expecting a very cold spell with that area expecting snow on the weekend.

Sydney man Gary Tweddle missing in Blue Mountains since Tuesday

by MEGAN LEVY - 19/07/13, 9:25 AM

Mystery surrounds the disappearance of a young Sydney man from a resort in the Blue Mountains, with the search becoming increasingly urgent ahead of possible snow showers forecast to hit the area this weekend.

A search crew of 75 officers and volunteers searched the area on Thursday, and will continue their efforts on Friday.

The search party has been concentrating its efforts on bushland along Sublime Point Road at Leura, with dangerous gullies and cliffs nearby.

Ian White, Oracle’s regional managing director, said the company’s immediate focus was on ‘‘supporting Gary’s partner and family at this time’’.

Read more http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-man-g...719-2q7z8.html

This is a mystery to me. This is built on the side of a steep mountain. The bush walking tracks are clearly marked. The only people who venture off the beaten path are rock climbers.

I have been to lunch several times here and there is no way that people from the city wander off or go bush walking and 'get lost'.

His friends are on twitter and they are asking their followers and journalists to share the ABC news article.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-1...42?section=nsw

Quote Originally Posted by Flinders View Post
    This is a mystery to me. This is built on the side of a steep mountain. The bush walking tracks are clearly marked. The only people who venture off the beaten path are rock climbers.

I have been to lunch several times here and there is no way that people from the city wander off or go bush walking and 'get lost'.
    As good as the tracks are in the area, you'd be surprised how many people do get lost. Once you're in the among the bushes what looks like a track - isn't. Helicopters are seen a lot in the area - looking for lost bushwalkers.
    The phone reception is not great in the area let alone in the valley.

I am wondering which main road he was talking about? At night, Sublime Point isn't busy, but the Highway is - but the highway is in the opposite direction to Sublime Point Road.

I hope they have contacted the taxi company to keep a lookout for him - they drive around at night along most of these roads - especially late after the pubs and hotels close.

I hope they have some luck today - the weather is windy and cold.

SMH picture of Gary Tweddle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just after 2 pm here and for now the rain has at least cleared in the mountains. Hopefully this will make the search easier although tracks will still be very slippery.

Rowe Family http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...chantelle+rowe

Kiesha Abrahams http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110796

Zahra Baker http://www.websleuths.com/forums/for...ysprune=&f=420 - http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...=1#post5796775

Quote Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
    As good as the tracks are in the area, you'd be surprised how many people do get lost. Once you're in the among the bushes what looks like a track - isn't. Helicopters are seen a lot in the area - looking for lost bushwalkers.
    The phone reception is not great in the area let alone in the valley.

I am wondering which main road he was talking about? At night, Sublime Point isn't busy, but the Highway is - but the highway is in the opposite direction to Sublime Point Road.

I hope they have contacted the taxi company to keep a lookout for him - they drive around at night along most of these roads - especially late after the pubs and hotels close.

I hope they have some luck today - the weather is windy and cold.

SMH picture of Gary Tweddle.
    Thank you Figtree. I was not a local but visited twice during the day. This is a nice spot on the side of a very steep mountain range and not conductive to random walks. Katoomba I thought had the walking tracks but even to get into this place to park is tricky. I know the next nearest town would be Katoomba. Maybe after the work party was finished he walked to Katoomba for another party. I know people get lost but to even find a random walking track near this spot for a guy from the UK to traverse is odd. My brother would think it is a lark as he could navigate anything. Holding my hopes close to my heart as he is from the UK and will be more able to cope with the cold than others.

Do you think maybe the searchers on land and in helicopters could use heat seeking goggles during the night search? During the day the SES look like they are searching for miniscule clues. They got the Boston Bomber by heating seeking goggles. I know we don't have the resources but I wish we did.

PS Love your high tech posts. How do you link and quote with such finesse?
    Last edited by Flinders; 07-19-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Just a background info here. He is from Cremorne (suburb of Sydney), previously from the Gold Coast and before that the UK. He moved here as a teenager to the Gold Coast. That is a huge circle of friends and acquaintances if you are on Facebook and Twitter.

Australia - Gary Tweddle, 23, Fairmont Resort Leura, Blue Mountains NSW, 16 J...

Blue Mountains Police are currently conducting a search in Leura, after it was reported... fb.me/6pRs89S8l

The Hills SES (@TheHillsSES)
    19/07/13 3:07 PM

The Hills SES Update
    Blue Mountains Police are currently conducting a search in Leura, after it was reported that Gary TWEDDLE 23 years of age from Cremoyne, went missing from the Fairmont Resort during the early hours of 16/7/13.
    https://m.facebook.com/TheHillsSES/p...19194818154138

Lost man a 'Bear Grylls': Blue Mt search

July 19, 2013 6:58PM

Sister Amy Tweddle spoke of her worry and hope.

"You're a Tweddle, a survivor, our very own Gary 'Bear' Grylls. We will find you," she wrote

Operation commander Mick Bostock told AAP the number of searchers would swell to 150 on Saturday.

"We're going to have a bigger search area and we're going to completely go over what we've done (with) fresh eyes," Detective Inspector Bostock said.

It comes as the Bureau of Meteorology warned temperatures will plunge across NSW this weekend.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz2ZTuZVUXs

I saw his girlfriend Anika pleading on the news tonight, she was clearly distraught but very well spoken.

Was he intoxicated at the time? I am so surprised he hasn't been found yet.

Praying for his safe return. it is awful timing; the temperatures have really dropped over the past 24 hours! And I highly doubt he is familiar with the area at all especially if he was just there attending a function.

Oh dear. It is beginning to get very cold. I really hope they find him soon. I hate to say it, but it is unlikely that he will survive out there this weekend. Some of the coldest nights I've ever spent have been in katoomba.

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast