Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fruity View Post
    An experienced walker wouldn't have left to go for a walk in the early hours of the morning either. I'm on my phone so I can't link but the Daily Telegraph has a story titled 'The grim search for Gary Tweddle' and it says he spoke to a friend at midnight and then started his walk and disappeared. Why would he start a bushwalk in the middle of the night??
    I posted the link above a few posts - here it is:

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...-1226682227252

Considering what he was last seen wearing - blue jeans, a black jacket and checked shirt AND the early hours in which he disappeared I would say alcohol and (possibly drugs) were involved. He didn't intend on going for a bushwalk I think he has wandered off for reasons we are uncertain of at the moment.

Weather has improved today, I really hope Gary is found today in the search!!!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CuriousGrace For This Useful Post:

Still in the rainy soggy PNW.... sigh....
    Oh my.... I really hope for success soon.....

I don't know how it is in Australia with having the last phone call pinged and/or if LE did that...at least it would show a starting point....

My prayers for a safe return.....

Micci
    Last edited by MicciStella; 07-20-2013 at 12:55 AM.
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
    It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
    Antoine de Saint Exupéry

and loving this

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MicciStella For This Useful Post:

July 20, 2013

The family of a young Sydney man missing in the Blue Mountains after vanishing from a work conference in the middle of the night say Saturday will be a critical day for searching before cold weather sets in.

About 200 people were part of the search for Mr Tweddle on Saturday morning, a NSW Police spokeswoman said.

Mr Tweddle's family continue to appeal for help online.

His father David flew from the UK to Australia this week and has joined the search, as well as posting missing person notices in nearby residential streets.

"Today is the big one, the weather turns tonight ... and tonight is 6 nights out so its big," Mr Tweddle said on Facebook.

"May I ask you to put all your best wishes and thoughts in to willing him to stay strong."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gary-twedd...#ixzz2ZYqgjhaz

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marlywings For This Useful Post:

Updated 3 hours 50 minutes ago

Detective Inspector Bostock says police have received multiple reports from the public.

"We have had a number of people come forward with information," he said.

"They've heard voices and coo-ee. We're not discounting any information, we're checking out all leads."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-2...itical/4832802

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marlywings For This Useful Post:

Today was not the day
    From the people I spoke to a 5pm there was no news that search teams found Gary Tweddle, yet searchers are still holding out that its possible he could be found - and alive.
    The weather this afternoon turned chilly the wind has really picked up - yet the sun was still out all day. There was a small patch of rain this afternoon around 5pm - as the light starts to quickly disappear and the clouds came over. It is colder tonight than last night.

I went back to Wentworth Falls and walked some tracks there today again. There was a constant sound of helicopters in the air sweeping over the valley. The SES guys which had been searching all day were walking back up on the trails - as I walked down to get some photos from one of the lookouts.

Hopefully some news tomorrow.

Some photos taken today.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FigTree For This Useful Post:

Last edited by FigTree; 07-20-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: delete duplicate photo add new

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FigTree For This Useful Post:

This just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

NO ONE goes for a midnight stroll in the Blue Mountains, least of all an "experienced hiker".

It is winter here, in fact we had the coldest day of the year 3 days ago. If he was out late at night it was not only as dark as the inside of a cow, it was freezing cold. He would be chilled to the bone just going outside for a cigarette.

He was staying at a luxury resort, who would go for a bushwalk at midnight with no preparation or equipment, when you have a 4 star hotel bed to go to, and a long conference the next day?

We have a saying here "only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun"...this guy was English, as was Eye drop Boy.

Around the same age too....23...

A concerned father rushing from England and talking to the press...another similarity...

Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SapphireSteel For This Useful Post:

I honestly do not think he was going for a "bushwalk" - where was this reported?

I have interpreted this as a young man at a (work?) function who has become inebriated and wandered off! It is freezing tonight, though was much warmer earlier this week at the time of his disappearance.

I don't believe this is a publicity stunt like the other young English gentleman, this man was settled in Sydney with his girlfriend with a well known company. He strikes me as an intelligent young man - that theory has entered my mind, yet.

I think either drugs or alcohol are involved - he has wandered off with no real clue of the dire circumstances that would postlude. When you are intoxicated you do not comprehend danger or sense fear, well definitely not in the same sense you would when sober. I think this is a tragic accident of him walking off to talk to someone, possibly a female, and they have become separated for whatever reason, and he has lost his way and had no idea where he was and its really frightening now - 6 days later and no sign of him with an abundance of searchers out in the vincinty! It is a dangerous place, one of my girlfriends sisters died there not long ago. Anyone can easily fall or jump over a cliff. JMO

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CuriousGrace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousGrace View Post
    I honestly do not think he was going for a "bushwalk" - where was this reported?

I have interpreted this as a young man at a (work?) function who has become inebriated and wandered off! It is freezing tonight, though was much warmer earlier this week at the time of his disappearance.

I don't believe this is a publicity stunt like the other young English gentleman, this man was settled in Sydney with his girlfriend with a well known company. He strikes me as an intelligent young man - that theory has entered my mind, yet.

I think either drugs or alcohol are involved - he has wandered off with no real clue of the dire circumstances that would postlude. When you are intoxicated you do not comprehend danger or sense fear, well definitely not in the same sense you would when sober. I think this is a tragic accident of him walking off to talk to someone, possibly a female, and they have become separated for whatever reason, and he has lost his way and had no idea where he was and its really frightening now - 6 days later and no sign of him with an abundance of searchers out in the vincinty! It is a dangerous place, one of my girlfriends sisters died there not long ago. Anyone can easily fall or jump over a cliff. JMO
    I don't want to argue but I bet your girlfriends sister was not at a 4 star resort.

No doubt the resort has proper pathways, signage, warnings posted, fencing around dangerous cliffs etc.

He wasn't at a cabin or a camping site wandering off to use the toilet. He had his own room at the hotel in which to chat privately to whoever he liked, in comfort and warmth.

My point is, "experienced hikers" do not just wander into the bush late at night without adequate preparation. Survival 101.

My other point is, being that he was at a resort, he is highly unlikely to take an impromptu bush stroll for privacy or for any other reason, at midnight. For a start off, he would actually have to go far enough into the (wet, cold) bush to lose his way. I'm not familiar with the resort myself but I can almost guarantee they have gone out of their way to ensure folks don't just wander off like this. They would have signage, lighting, proper paths.

No, something's amiss. This makes no sense at all. If he was inexperienced, fair enough, young men are made of steel. Experienced = you know your life relies on proper preparation.

ETA - if he was "experienced" he would have been found. Every hiker alive knows the only way to be found is to stop moving and wait for rescue.
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    KISS

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SapphireSteel For This Useful Post:

Well, she wandered off from a restaurant at a beautiful resort and jumped off a cliff. There really isn't that many resorts in the Blue Mountains.

I was trying to the make the point that it can be very dangerous whether you intentionally or unintentionally wander off and harm yourself.

I believe he was drinking heavily or under the influence of drugs. If he is found, under similar circumstances to Jaime Neale, then zero sympathy but at present we must treat him as a missing person at risk. Jaime Neale had food & water to last a long time, Gary had nothing on him! Lets not allow Jaime's incident to impede this search. I understand your cynicism, we should wait for more information to be released. JMO

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CuriousGrace For This Useful Post:

Well, she wandered off from a restaurant at a beautiful resort and jumped off a cliff. There really isn't that many resorts in the Blue Mountains.

I was trying to the make the point that it can be very dangerous whether you intentionally or unintentionally wander off and harm yourself.

I believe he was drinking heavily or under the influence of drugs. If he is found, under similar circumstances to Jaime Neale, then zero sympathy but at present we must treat him as a missing person at risk. Jaime Neale had food & water to last a long time, Gary had nothing on him! Lets not allow Jaime's incident to impede this search. I understand your cynicism, we should wait for more information to be released. JMO
    I don't hike myself but family does.

Experienced hikers would never, ever, ever wander into bushland at night. Ever. Especially not when wearing jeans and a thin shirt, inappropriate shoes, no torch, no water, no food, no notification of where they intend to go.

Ever.

To do that is to risk your life.

Also, if he just wandered in and got lost, why haven't they found him?

An experienced hiker sits down and waits for rescue. They don't plow ahead into the wet cold bushland assuming they will un-lose themselves in the middle of the night.

I really am trying to emphasise what "experienced hikers" do. They only become "experienced" by looking after themselves properly and taking the right precautions.

Maybe this guy met with foul play...doing a Bear Grylls is only one explanation for something that is (IMO) pretty much inexplicable.

KISS

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SapphireSteel For This Useful Post:

Police are concerned for the welfare of a Sydney man who went missing in the Blue Mountains last Tuesday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-2...80?section=nsw
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikkismom For This Useful Post:

Now they're asking for people to call Crimestoppers...! Is that usual for a Search and Rescue operation?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-2...orsens/4833280
    KISS

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SapphireSteel For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the photos, FigTree. Hopefully there will be some news today.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fruity For This Useful Post:

He appeared to be in good spirits when he called a friend on his mobile to say he was lost after going for a walk, saying he was in bushland but was close to a main road.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world...d-8720550.html

I guess it's semantics. Going for a walk in the bush after midnight may not mean 'he intended to go for a bushwalk', true. But any 'experienced survivalist' as he is being touted knows that you do not leave the path. And any 'experienced survivalist' should know how to get from the path to the main road nearby. Just moo.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fruity For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast