Neglected & underweight at 2, Sovereign the Staffordshire shire now 6'10" and rising

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Britain’s tallest horse: How underweight and neglected Sovereign became a ‘monster’… and he’s still growing.(Daily Mail)
When he was bought for just £200, shire horse Sovereign was frightened, neglected and so underweight it would have taken little more than a push to send him falling to the ground.

Two years and one huge growth spurt later, the proud stallion has now been declared Britain’s tallest horse.

In a remarkable turnaround, the four-year-old was nurtured back to full health by owner Paul Evans, who was stunned at just how large he became.

He now stands at 20.6 hands from his hoof to his withers at the bottom of his neck – the equivalent of just over 6ft 10ins – and is still growing so could yet become the tallest horse in the world.

Sovereign, who weighs more than a tonne, feeds on eight kilos of hay and corn every day and goes on five-mile trots three times a week to keep in shape.

Just a couple of years ago, however, he almost died before Mr Evans rescued him from his previous home.
---
‘I have always loved shire horses so when I heard one was up for sale because his owners couldn't cope, I went down to see him.

‘Sovereign was in quite a bad way, he was actually underweight and very dirty. I could have probably pushed him over with my hand.
---
‘I paid the owners £200. He was very nervous at first. It took a year before he fully trusted me.
---
‘He could well top 22 or maybe in more hands which will make him a world record breaker.’
---
Britain's tallest horse was previously a Clydesdale called Digger, who stood at 19.3 hands high (6ft 6ins).
---
The tallest in the world is a massive 21 hands (7ft) high.
---
more, with pictures and a video, at the link

Shire horse Sovereign (picture)

Gorgeous horse. I like my horses tall and wide...Tango is 16.3, and somewhat "short" for me...but this guy - he's stunning. Tall, proud, and gloriously beautiful - as a Sovereign should be.

Thanks for posting, Wuff. I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard, but thanks for posting.

Best-
Herding Cats

Hrmm. I'm no expert but those photos looked a little shopped to me.

No, those are real photos. Lots of folks don't realize how large horses can get...and a shire is one of the largest horses going.

I rode a 19hh Belgian horse once...had the hardest time mounting. Matter of fact, he was so wide hipped that I got stuck swinging my leg over, and slid in slo motion a LONG way down his left foreleg. Bless his heart, he didn't move - his feet were the size of dinner plates, so I'm glad he didn't even move a muscle. I laid there laughing. He was a true gentle giant.

And that horse was SMALLER than the one here.

No, horses can get huge. No 'shopping that I can tell.

Best-
Herding Cats

Glad he is growing and healthy ! A beauty too.

I'm with Herding Cats on this one, I too like my horses tall and wide, my Sonny is 16.1 (Quarter Horse) and hubby's horse Kodi stands 17.1 (Paint/Draft cross). They both have a very large, wide butt and I love and admire every square inch of 'em! LOL. Horse butts, the bigger the better as far as I'm concerned!

He's a beauty and I am glad someone who cared bought him and fed him up and gave him a chance.

This is a happy story and I'm glad you shared wfgodot.

One of my neighbors has Shires. They are beautiful animals. Glad that this one got the help he needed.

jmo

No, those are real photos. Lots of folks don't realize how large horses can get...and a shire is one of the largest horses going.

I rode a 19hh Belgian horse once...had the hardest time mounting. Matter of fact, he was so wide hipped that I got stuck swinging my leg over, and slid in slo motion a LONG way down his left foreleg. Bless his heart, he didn't move - his feet were the size of dinner plates, so I'm glad he didn't even move a muscle. I laid there laughing. He was a true gentle giant.

And that horse was SMALLER than the one here.

No, horses can get huge. No 'shopping that I can tell.

Best-
Herding Cats

I understand that horses can be tall, but, those particular pictures look shopped to me. The horse appears to be slightly floating in the stills. The shot on the video looks real. The height difference isn't as drastic on that shot, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back