Riot on Nauru in wake of Rudd PNG asylum boat solution

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
Riot on Nauru in wake of Rudd PNG asylum boat solution

July 19, 2013

VIOLENCE flared on Nauru as hundreds of asylum seekers sought to break out of the detention facility yesterday afternoon.
More than 50 asylum seekers were arrested and are held at the island's police station.

Reports also indicate hundreds have escaped the facility.

The Nauruan government said the situation was under control at 10pm but that several buildings had been destroyed.

Damage surveyed last night included large sections of new sleeping accommodation, which costs tens of millions of dollars to build, destroyed by fire.

All staff at the centre were forced to evacuate during the riot.

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...on/story-fncynjr2-1226681915951#ixzz2ZV3TnhWK

Aust will never accept boat people: Rudd

July 19, 2013

THE first group of asylum seekers to be dealt with under Labor's new hardline approach to boat arrivals could be transferred to Papua New Guinea for processing and possible settlement within weeks.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd declared the policy on Friday, saying the new regime to deny settlement in Australia to asylum seekers who paid people smugglers for unauthorised passage would begin immediately.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ld/story-e6frfku9-1226681741330#ixzz2ZV437kwn

I think Rudd has rushed this simply to buy votes. Anyone who has the power to make change and waits until the final hour before the election to make those changes never gets my vote.

I really feel for the asylum seekers at Nauru, but their behaviour is just terrible. To injure and hurt the very people that are trying to care for them while they wait is totally unacceptable. They aren't doing themselves any favours by acting this way.

The cleanup is going to cost us a small fortune - buildings totally destroyed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back