NV NV - Kael Johnson aka Meekaa’eel Collins, 36, Las Vegas, 15 Feb 2013

mamacita

Reaction score
His dream was to become a dentist, but now his mother says it’s as if 36-year-old Kael Johnson has vanished off the face of the earth. Johnson, a/k/a Meekaa’eel Collins, was last seen on February 15 in the wee hours inside a 7-Eleven convenience store.

Then Johnson is never seen again. And it’s not until 13 days later when a major clue surfaces in the search and investigation.

At approximately 2 a.m. he was captured on surveillance video at the local 7-Eleven withdrawing money, buying cigarettes and a Snapple.

Almost two weeks after his disappearance, a major clue in the investigation surfaces at a local Las Vegas park. The same silver 2004 Dodge Ram truck Johnson was last seen driving, found abandoned at a nature preserve, Wetlands Park.

According to Johnson’s mother, police told her Johnson’s new iPhone and wallet were found inside the truck and there appears to be no signs of a robbery.

Reports are now surfacing, the morning of the 15th, the day Johnson vanishes, his truck was caught on surveillance video entering Wetlands Park before 8 a.m. But the clue turns out to be unsubstantial when no one, including Beverly Johnson, could identify who was behind the wheel. A glare on the window makes it impossible to determine who was driving, a hindrance that could have cracked the case wide open.

1525a.jpg

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/07/19/las-vegas-man-missing-after-dental-program-finals

photo from: http://newsone.com/2428182/kael-johnson-las-vegas/

MODS - i forgot to throw "Las Vegas" into the thread title.. please help!

bumping for my night time sleuthers! hoping some of you can help me out here! :)

They need to do a more thorough search of the park, IMO. There's a lot of vegetation and swampy areas that I doubt were really searched well. It's soooooo hot here right now, there probably aren't a lot of folks visiting the park. I'm thinking Kael is there, somewhere. :(

Does anybody have any ideas about his AKA?

that's something that really caught my eye when i first heard about the case. i get that the AKA first name is kinda complicated, so shorten it to something easier. but to have a totally different last name?! that's where i'm confused. and nope, no ideas about it (yet). lol

I'm pretty sure the wetlands flow into Lake Mead. I didn't even know there were hiking trails there and I have lived here a long time. It'spretty hot here most of the year to be hiking there. I wonder if there are cameras in other areas that would have monitored who was in and out of the park that morning? This could have just been a place to leave the truck. If the truck was left there after closing hours I think this would raise alarm that someone hasn't returned from their hike. Not sure when LE was notified of the truck.

UNLV appears to be the dental school in the area so I assume that's where he attended? Does anyone know for sure?

In the HLN link it says that he disappeared right after finals. The UNLV dental school academic calendar says fall semester ended on Dec 14th. Spring semester classes began Jan 7th.

(Is it possible that he was currently in a program to become a dental assistant or hygienist, and his eventual dream was to go on to be a dentist?)

UNLV does have a dental school and its the only one I know of in the area. There are other dental assistant and hygienist schools in the area - multiple ones. So I don't know when their finals would be. UNLVs are in May and December.
I have never heard of this case until I stumbled across it on here. Again - I live in Las Vegas for 30 years now. Not getting much publicity.

If he was a student at UNLV, then his disappearance date of Feb 15th would have been 2 months after fall finals, and well into spring semester classes. The HLN article says that he was planning to take the next series of classes, but the school (which they dont name) said he had not signed up for the next term's classes. So something doesn't line up.

We have seen before where a student gets distraught over not making the grades in college...could that have happened to Kael?

Or, again, just wrong reporting of the type of dental school he was attending? But why move all the way from NC to NV to attend school for assisting or hygiene- those programs are everywhere.

It sounded to me like he moved to LV with a companion who is a traveling nurse.
There is no mention in the media as to where he was going to go party or where his hangout were. This town can be a dangerous place for so many reasons. He could have been targeted while he was out. Details are so limited on the night he disappeared.

Just found this thread. I live in Woodstock, Ga and police found UID of a black male that I think may be Kael Johnson. I called the tip into both agencies.

Please take a look at the thread for the UID.... Clothes and shoes match.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217008&highlight=kael

OK so here is the Georgia connection for Kael. He was mentioned in a 2008 plea agreement (I have posted a link a few posts down) for a James P. Robinson. Robinson was tried in a Georgia Federal case and for some odd reason had possession of a 2004 Cadillac Escalade that was titled to Kael Johnson. After doing a little more digging I have an opinion that Kael was involved in this case but never charged with anything. The interesting this is that Robinson who lives in Georgia was sentenced to 8 yrs in Federal prison in 2008 which means he would be released this year....

Here is a recent article about UID in Woodstock, Ga.

http://cherokeetribune.com/view/ful...s-found-near-Woodstock?instance=breaking_news

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office reports that an autopsy has revealed more information on a body found near the Cherokee-Cobb County line in Woodstock by a Kennesaw State University biology student who'd originally set out to find snakes Saturday afternoon.

From the autopsy, investigators have learned that the highly decomposed, skeletal remains were that of a black man about 6-feet tall and somewhere between the ages of 27 and 53, said Lt. Jay Baker, spokesman for the Sheriff's Office.

The man was wearing blue jeans with burgandy shorts underneath and size-13 Adidas sneakers. An expandable baton with a nylon case was also found with the body, Baker said.

Baker said investigators are sending out sample photos of the clothing and items found with the body in hopes out reaching someone who can identify the unknown man.

Read more: Cherokee Tribune - New details on remains found near Woodstock

Photos of clothing and shoes at link!

I wonder why James P. Robinson was driving a 2004 Escalade that was in Kael Johnson's name? This court case was a Federal case against Robinson and another man. I would like to know if Robinson has been released from prison....

http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/press_releases/2009/244379.htm

TWO FORMER HOME DEPOT EMPLOYEES SENTENCED TO PRISON FOR PARTICIPATING IN VENDOR KICKBACK SCHEME
Defendants Also Filed False Tax Returns
ATALANTA—Ronald K. Johnston, 37, and James P. Robinson, 43, both of Atlanta, were sentenced this week to federal prison by United States District Judge Richard W. Story on charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and filing false tax returns in connection with a scheme to defraud Home Depot.
United States Attorney David E. Nahmias said, "These two defendants accepted bribes from the company's foreign suppliers and failed to report and pay taxes on their illegal income. Vendor kickbacks to corporate employees corrupt the honest operations of American businesses, and those who pay, receive, or solicit such payoffs may face federal prosecution."
Scott D. Hammond, Acting Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Antitrust Division said, "These sentencings demonstrate the Antitrust Division's resolve to hold accountable those individuals who participate in kickback schemes that subvert the competitive process by placing their own interests above those of the companies that employ them."
IRS Criminal Investigation Special Agent In Charge Reginael D. McDaniel said, "The prosecution of individuals who intentionally conceal their income, even if obtained from an illegal source, is a vital element in maintaining public confidence in our tax system. We should not expect the honest taxpayer to foot the bill for those who choose to hide their income from the IRS."
Today, Johnston was sentenced to serve three years and 10 months in prison, to be followed by three years of supervised release and ordered to pay $1,785,115 in restitution. Johnston pleaded guilty to the charges on Jan. 15, 2009. Yesterday, Robinston was sentenced to serve five years and three months in prison, to be followed by 3 years of supervised release and ordered to pay $1,170,308 in restitution. Robinson pleaded guilty to the charges on July 11, 2008.

Robinson was scheduled to be released this year........*chills*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back