PA "Crack Baby" Study Surprising, But Quite Clear

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
A study done here followed children born to crack addicted mother's into their adulthood. It's a lengthy article, but very well worth the read.

A huge finding is that poverty itself is more damaging to children than the cocaine.

*Note it also stresses that cocaine is horrifyingly damaging to pregnancy so they got that in there.*

http://articles.philly.com/2013-07-...llam-hurt-so-called-crack-babies-funded-study

Literally just finished reading this too, Filly!

I hope this opens many people's eyes to exactly how devastating poverty can be.

I would love to hear more details about Karen and her daughter Jaimee and other children. Karen must be, and should be, so proud of getting off drugs, and despite a probable life of poverty, raising several children to be successful college grads. So awesome!

Karen must be, and should be, so proud of getting off drugs, and despite a probable life of poverty, raising several children to be successful college grads. So awesome!

No easy feat was that. I was so happy for Karen. At the end of the article where Jaimee says even when her mother was out there she still knew the Superwoman inside had me tear a bit.

Interesting article. Kudos to the researchers who designed and conducted this valuable study. It is truly unfortunate that so much of the "information" that gets reported about drugs and drug usage is based upon "anecdotes" as opposed to solid research.

Certainly we all know that not taking any drug whatsoever during pregnancy is preferable. But in today's world there are women who have underlying illnesses and medical conditions - which in the past would have prevented them from carrying a child - who are successfully becoming mothers. This type of research is of great value to those obstetricians who specialize in such "high risk pregnancies".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back