GUILTY CA - Sutchi Hui, 71, run over & killed by cyclist, San Francisco, 29 March 2012

Reader

Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/US/bicyclist-us-guilty-vehicular-homicide/story?id=19759724

A bicyclist who struck and killed a 71-year-old pedestrian in San Francisco has been convicted of felony manslaughter, the first conviction of its kind for a cyclist in the U.S.

Chris Bucchere, 37, was biking through a busy intersection when he struck and killed Sutchi Hui, who was crossing the street with his wife in down downtown San Francisco. .........

Bucchere agreed to a plea deal with the prosecutors where he will serve 1,000 hours of community service and three years of probation for the crime, according to the prosecutor's office.

Gascon said that Hui's family did not want jail time for Bucchere. Hui's family has filed a civil suit against Bucchere. .......more....

I guess a bike is a vehicle too. Though I never thought of this happening.

Interesting that the family doesn't want jail time for him because they have a civil suit against him.

I guess a bike is a vehicle too. Though I never thought of this happening.

Interesting that the family doesn't want jail time for him because they have a civil suit against him.

The article didn't say they didn't want jail time for him because they have a civil suit against him. On more than a few occasions I've gone through the metal detectors and unpacked my steno machine in a jail cell to take the deposition of a convicted prisoner who was now being deposed in a civil suit.

From August 2013:

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Bicyclist-sentenced-for-fatal-S-F-crash-4736312.php

A bicyclist who fatally struck a 71-year-old man who was crossing the street in San Francisco's Castro neighborhood was sentenced Thursday to three years of probation and 1,000 hours of community service...

Hui fell, hit his head on the ground and died four days later...

Terry Hui, the victim's son... asked that Bucchere's 1,000 hours of community service be spent caring for the elderly, helping the victims of traumatic brain injury and building houses for the less fortunate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back