Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    Franklin, Kentucky is about three and a half hours from Homewood, Alabama or about 240 miles.
    Don't confuse the two... One son is in the Military in KY... The other is in Franklin Tennessee.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrianInBirmingham For This Useful Post:

I don't think this has been posted before. It's interesting to me:

“She was a fine, fine Christian lady and a faithful member of the choir,” said Don Campbell, who served as minister of music and worship (1993–2009) and later pastor of senior adults and pastoral care (2010–2012) at First, Birmingham.

“[Karen] was always positive, always supportive and encouraging,” said Campbell, who now serves as minister of worship at The Baptist Church at McAdory, McCalla.

Campbell said Karen Shahan “worked a lot behind the scenes. … She was always so positive and so gracious in opening her home to staff and others.

Her death has been a shock to the First, Birmingham, congregation, Carter said, but the congregation has pulled together to help.

Two church staff members immediately drove to Kentucky to pick up Richard and drive him back home when Karen was found, Carter noted. Richard had been in Franklin, Tenn., and Fort Campbell, Ky., visiting his and Karen’s sons, Kyle and Colin. Kyle lives in Franklin, and Colin is in the Army serving at Fort Campbell. Colin and his wife, Elizabeth, have two children.

A church ministry assistant helped Colin navigate the red tape involved in getting a military pass to be off post for an extended period of time.

Church officials also cleaned up the Shahan house once it was released by police and helped with several funeral-related duties, Carter added, noting the church is paying for all funeral expenses as another way to help the family during this time.

- See more at: http://www.thealabamabaptist.org/pri....94PPRmLY.dpuf

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianInBirmingham View Post
    Don't confuse the two... One son is in the Military in KY... The other is in Franklin Tennessee.
    My error, thanks for the correction.

Franklin, TN > 2 hours 38 mins > Homewood, AL (180.2 miles)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

Franklin is straight up I 65. I drive it in about 1hr 45 minutes.

Make that 2 hours 15 minutes... I used to work a lot up there. I may be thinking of Pulaski... It seems very close to me,,, Franklin.
    Last edited by BrianInBirmingham; 08-03-2013 at 06:57 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrianInBirmingham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    <modsnip> It's pretty clear to me that if this crime is as viscous as the LE team is saying it is; then this is PERSONAL. Meaning someone who knew her and loved/hated her killed her. Not a stranger. There isn't any other motive.
    There could be a bunch of motives, we just don't know about.

That sort of "overkill" could also come from a stranger having a psychotic episode and thinking Mrs Shahan was Godzilla and he was saving the world.

Unfortunately same old story, LE aren't sharing if there's signs of forced entry, a known threat, etc so at this point we can't be sure of anything.

Last edited by LambChop; 08-03-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Against TOS
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SapphireSteel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by killarney rose View Post
    As one who lives in the region, I can say that immediate family, parents, siblings, kids, etc. are usually included in obits unless there is a reason not to. Even if they are also deceased, they will be listed as such.
    This. And if your second cousin's husband's brother's great aunt had a stillbirth, it would probably be listed as a "precedent in death." We Southerners usually put all kinfolk in the obits.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to T4Tide For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by T4Tide View Post
    This. And if your second cousin's husband's brother's great aunt had a stillbirth, it would probably be listed as a "precedent in death." We Southerners usually put all kinfolk in the obits.
    Sometimes even our "beloved companion Fido".

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to killarney rose For This Useful Post:

The absolute last thing a spouse worries about when their partner has been murdered is an obituary. The very last thing. It is a public notice of death and I can't imagine what that would be like when you're in a state of shock. I imagine it was done for the family. It's not important. It's hard enough when your husband dies from a terminal illness and family later complains that you forgot to mention them. jmo

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IHAVENOCLUE For This Useful Post:

SmoothOperator is offline Sadly what connects all these puzzles is that there's a victim@the heart of each
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianInBirmingham View Post
    I spoke with a coworker of Shahan's at Hobby Lobby today. I shop at that location for my business on a weekly basis She reiterated that it was they who DID ask for a welfare check by LE. I am not aware that the mother worked with her and don't believe this to be the case. I have no information about Church members being coworkers. Karen Shahan did "close" the Hobby Lobby location on Monday night and left there around 8:30pm. Additionally, I was informed that she was wearing a nightgown when her body was found. Additionally, I learned that Richard Shahan had gone to help move one of the two sons, the one that lived in Franklin, TN, back to Birmingham to live in their home and go to college in Birmingham. Mr. Shahan was described as catatonic during the memorial service. The body has not been released by investigators.
    Thanks for sharing the above info as well as clarifying that her coworkers are who contacted LE requesting the welfare check on Karen that morning.. I guess I am left with the question of why is it that the church, themselves are the very ones who are stating that it was church officials who found Karen deceased on Tuesday morning?? (and yes, I realize that you, personally do not have the answer to this question as I am merely pointing out the different info that we have)..

She was found late morning July 23 by church officials after not showing up for a previously scheduled appointment and work.
    http://www.thealabamabaptist.org/pri...9&pricat_art=1
    The quickest way to become a fool is to argue with one..

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SmoothOperator For This Useful Post:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/07/...ewood_pas.html

Brutal slaying of Homewood pastor's wife is exception, not norm, for the city, mayor says
    By Carol Robinson |
    on July 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM, updated July 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Snipped

"Co-workers of Karen Shahan became concerned when she didn't show up for work Tuesday at Hobby Lobby in Wildwood. Homewood police officers were dispatched to the scene on a welfare check. Police have not said how the woman died, but said it was apparent that she was murdered. The house appeared to be in disarray, authorities said."

+

"A co-worker of Shahan said many of them just learned of her death this morning and said they are sad. They said they weren't allowed to discuss it further, and referred calls to the company's home office."

"Vince Parker, a Hobby Lobby spokesman, released the following statement: "We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of our employees. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family.""

My personal opnion is, based on articles, videos, and supported by what BrianB said above about chatting with a store clerk: It was a co-worker and friend who initially called the police for the welfare check. The two are not mutually exclusive. The co-worker who said "many had not learned of her death until this morning" may not have been working in the store on Tuesday and is obviously not the person who called the police. Also, her identity was withheld from the public. Thus they learn about it the next day when they go to work and hear what happened.

The 'Corporate' arm of the Hobby Lobby ordered the employees not to talk about it. i.e. Vincent Parker, Hobby Lobby Spokesman located at headquarters in Oklahoma. Hobby Lobby is very sad about the loss, etc. They just want it to go away and not blemish their 'culture'.

22. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
    Thanks for sharing the above info as well as clarifying that her coworkers are who contacted LE requesting the welfare check on Karen that morning.. I guess I am left with the question of why is it that the church, themselves are the very ones who are stating that it was church officials who found Karen deceased on Tuesday morning?? (and yes, I realize that you, personally do not have the answer to this question as I am merely pointing out the different info that we have)..
    PERHAPS as 'landlords' the church had the key to the property? And they let LE in the home - thus the two versions of the same story? Mebbe
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to meanmaryjean For This Useful Post:

Didn't LE used to routinely let the communities of violent crimes know if they had to "be on the lookout for" or "take reasonable measures to protect"?

Why am I not seeing this anymore in cases of murders and abductions?

Doesn't the community need to know if there's a maniac on the loose, what way this person gained entry? ETC, ETC,

I mean, I'd be very afraid if I lived in the immediate area----and perhaps unnecessarily so. But we don't know, do we?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Look, if any of us wanted to mind our own business, we wouldn't be here" (carbuff 8/11/13)

This post reflects my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy it anywhere else outside of the WebSleuth forum

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ATasteOfHoney For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
    The absolute last thing a spouse worries about when their partner has been murdered is an obituary. The very last thing. It is a public notice of death and I can't imagine what that would be like when you're in a state of shock. I imagine it was done for the family. It's not important. It's hard enough when your husband dies from a terminal illness and family later complains that you forgot to mention them. jmo
    I totally agree. I am a Birmingham native, and my family is as Southern as you can get...and we don't do long obits either.
    But especially under those terrible circumstances, I doubt anyone was up to writing an elaborate obituary.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EllaMae For This Useful Post:

I wonder if the church owned homes had alarm systems. Articles have said most people rented in the area and moved frequently, the neighbor said she's getting an alarm, and the Mayor or someone said most police calls are about alarms going off instead of actual crime.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to txsvicki For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast