Found Deceased ME - Gerry Largay, 66, Appalachian Trail, 21 July 2013

angelmom

The love stays...forever in our hearts
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/250990/3/Wardens-Woman-from-Tennessee-missing-in-Maine

130725072459_real%20woman.JPG

Maine Game Wardens report that approximately 60 searchers have gathered to look for Geraldine Largay from Brentwood, Tennessee.

Wardens say Geraldine Anita Largay started her hike on the Appalachian Trail in April at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. She was headed for Baxter State Park, here in Maine. Officials say that her husband George keeps track of her along the way and makes pre-determined stops to re-supply her.

<snip>

On Monday morning she texted her husband again saying she was headed north on the Appalachian Trail. Her next stop was expected to have been the Spaulding Mountain lean-to.

much more at link.

This is someone I know. :praying:

From the Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwildlife?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

Geraldine “Gerry” is 66 years old and is from Brentwood, Tennessee. She is 5’5” tall, weighs 115 pounds, and has brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a black pullover shirt, tan pants, a blue hat, and a black & green backpack. She was last seen on Route 4 in Sandy River Plantation on Sunday, July 21. Her plan was to meet her husband the following day on Monday in Wyman Township. She did text her husband at 7:15 on Monday morning but never arrived at their meeting place.

If you have any information regarding her location please call the Public Safety Dispatch Center in Augusta at 1-800-452-4664.

update from Atlanta news...terribly written article but new info on the search.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/300388/40/Husband-of-missing-hiker-searches-hopes

Geraldine Largay -- known to all as Gerry -- texted her husband, George Largay, earlier this week from the trail in Maine.

George was just a few miles away when he received her text; he's been driving the supply car for her, supporting her lifelong goal of hiking the entire Appalachian Trail

<snip>

Authorities are also looking for an unidentified woman who called George's hotel on Wednesday. The woman said to the person at the hotel office who answered the phone that she was hiking on the trail, and she said that she spent Tuesday night at a lean-to along the trail, and Gerry was also there spending the night.

<snip>

Gerry Largay's experience as a hiker includes extensive experience sustaining herself for extended periods of time alone in the wilderness. So searchers say there is every reason to believe they will find her safe and sound.

From the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwildlife

UPDATE: SEARCH FOR GERALDINE LARGAY - July 27, 2013: Maine Game Wardens are seeking information concerning missing AT hiker Geraldine Largay who uses the trail name “inchworm” from the following hikers using the trail names: “Cowboy”, “Marathon”, “Postman”, “Breeze”, “Paranoid”, “Crunchmaster”, “Harpo/Groucho”, “Ice Pack/SOBO ’13”,” Luke 11:9”, “Sandman”, “BBTGR”, and “.com/Queen”.

Warden investigators need to speak with the listed hikers to determine and verify if the Geraldine was seen between the Poplar Ridge Lean-To and the Spaulding Mountain Lean-To on the Appalachian Trail. Warden investigators also need to verify if Geraldine stayed overnight at the Spaulding Mtn. Lean-To Monday night July 22 into Tuesday morning July 23. The Warden Service also wants to inform bear baiters baiting in the search area to be on the lookout for Mrs. Largay.

Those with any information should call the Public Safety Communications Center in Augusta at (207) 624-6076. or 1-800-452-4664

I hope this is okay to post even though there is no link to a news article. It is an email from Gerry's husband, George, that is being forwarded throughout our parish.

In this and a previous email George gives permission to share these details and even asks us to risk oversharing, so I don't feel like I'm breaking any confidence.

This is from Saturday, so it is a little out of date, but gives you an idea of what steps are being taken to find Gerry.

Please feel free to share these factoids with whomever:

--Kerry [their daughter] and her husband Ryan got here from Nashville at 6:15 p.m. It is a Godsend to have them here.

--our son Ryan is on his way here from California as I write this.

--today is day THREE of the full-day massive search. The process started mid-day Wednesday when I initially contacted the authorities. Gerry had been due to meet me Tuesday evening late after three days and two nights on the trail. Since it rained all day Tuesday for what would have been a13.5 mile hike over tough terrain, her not making it was not a surprise. People being "late" on the Appalachian Trail is not uncommon. However, since the last contact i had from here was Monday a.m. that is why I contacted the authorities to start the process of calling out the cavalry. Normally, Gerry would have texted me either late Monday to say she had arrived at the shelter or Tuesday morning when she left. She has rain gear, a one person tent, a down sleeping gear good to 25 degrees etc.

--among the resources out in search for her today are three airplanes (two fixed wing and one chopper), 3 horses, don't know the exact number of searchers, but yesterday it was 71 plus seven dog teams. There have been a ton of extra volunteers join today because it is the weekend. They also have a boatload of ATVs out patrolling. The Maine terrain is RUGGED and MASSIVE. With it being the weekend and great weather, lots of other folks are out hiking, so more eyeballs and ears on the trail. Ditto today is the start of "Bear Baiting season" so tons of hunters are out on their ATVs.

--weather today and tomorrow is perfect: sunny and mid 70s. Prior two days had been a little over cast yesterday and I forget how Thursday was.

--her missing, a photo and description are all over the news and online. Ditto hiker websites etc.
Everyone on the trail knows about "inchworm," her trail name.

--the efforts, thoroughness and professionalism of the Maine Warden's office and surrounding law enforcement agencies has been PHENOMENAL, like Eisenhower planning the D-day invasion.

--Kerry, her husband Ryan and I will get our next thorough and private briefing in the mobile command post at 7:30 p.m. tonight. We get three a day by the top Maine Warden in charge of search and rescue for the state.

--People here have been incredibly helpful.

--we remain optimistic but obviously concerned till they find Gerry, I see the whites of her eyes, hug her and hear her signature laugh.

Please keep the PRAYERS and positive thoughts coming.

More as I know it.

Peace,,

George

I wonder what information they got from her phone records? Pings?

I have been hiking many of the trails and mountains in NH in the last couple months. We have found the trails wet, muddy and of course the rocks are slippery. I can't imagine that with all the people on the AT that she hasn't been spotted.

Please let her be found alive....let her achieve her goal of reaching Baxter State park.

I wonder what information they got from her phone records? Pings?

I have been hiking many of the trails and mountains in NH in the last couple months. We have found the trails wet, muddy and of course the rocks are slippery. I can't imagine that with all the people on the AT that she hasn't been spotted.

Please let her be found alive....let her achieve her goal of reaching Baxter State park.

I know. I have not seen anything about cell records or the phone itself mentioned in a single article. Tempted to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they find this lovely lady - what a great smile and outlook on life she has.
I hope where ever Gerry is she is safe, unharmed and just getting her bearings so she can come home to her loved ones soon.

My prayers are with her husband and family, the searchers and all her friends.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/fran...teers-make-search-lost-hiker-possible/1401184

Video at this link really shows how treacherous the terrain is.

So grateful for the SAR professionals and volunteers!

He said the search would temporarily be put on hold Wednesday to give the wardens and the volunteers a chance to rest and see their families. Some have been searching for seven straight days, he said. They would spend Wednesday reassessing all of the information they've gathered to try to refocus the search area. He said it wasn't a matter of whether they would start looking again, but where they would look next.

angelmom, did you inquire about her cell phone details?

I hiked a mountain in NH on Tuesday and the conditions were wet as there have been storms. I am going up to Maine on Sat and Sun to hike the area between the Poplar hut north. I hate to think of her hurt up there...or of course worse things. Hopefully she will be found soon. There are so many great people in the hiking community up here, I can't imagine that they haven't found her yet. I can't imagine her veering off trail, unless she wanted to see a lookout point or of course if she encountered bears or moose or something.

This article explains more about the cell phones and that they still have not found the anonymous caller...which seems weird.

Trained SAR only this weekend. I wonder if there's a way to put an announcement up for those in the area. I know we have some members who are trained.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Maine-wardens-to-intensify-search-for-hiker-this-weekend.html

Feeling terrible for the family. Their kids had to go home so a friend from
Church flew up to be with George. Must have been heartbreaking to say goodbye. I know it can't go on forever, but how do you decide when to stop?

Where are you Gerry????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni