Soldier returns from Afghanistan to learn his beloved dog is gone

Hamsterdance

Reaction score
"Soldier returns from Afghanistan to learn his beloved dog is gone"

"About a year after joining the Army, Harker got the playful lab over Memorial Day weekend in 2011, while he was at Fort Benning in western Georgia...."

"...Whenever Harker was in the United States, Oakley would go with him. And whenever he deployed, his beloved dog would be left with a friend.

That's what happened last year, when the lieutenant left Oakley with someone he described as a "good friend" before he headed off to Afghanistan.

"Every time, while I was gone, I asked about him," Harker said, recalling how his friend would insist Oakley was "doing good (and) acting like his regular self. "I'd ask for a picture every now and then. But I never got any pictures sent to me.

Harker learned the truth as he was flying back to Joint Base Lewis-McCord in Washington."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/27/us/washington-soldier-dog/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Link to his Craigslist Plea for help finding his microchipped dog (with more pictures):

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pet/3956713351.html Posted to Seattle Craigslist

"I was told this happened in May, but it could have happened anytime from February till June."

I hope it's ok to post this here, I figure if anyone can help this soldier be reunited with his dog, our Websleuthers may be able to help spread the word.
130727024131-oakley-harker-story-top.jpg

I hope he finds his doggie, so cute. Why can't the friend tell him exactly what he did with the dog: who he gave him to, where he left him, was he sold? did he take him to the shelter? What a nasty thing to do to a soldier out of the country. I'm afraid if that was me the friendship would be over.

ETA: He should also put his request on FB. There are many animal rescue groups there that could put out the word and search the shelters and foster homes.

Praying Oakley is found soon! What a :censored: the 'friend' is, who was responsible for watching the dog.

I have seen situations like this and my worry is this.
What if the dog is found.... living with another family for the last several months?

I hope if that happens that the soldier and the family can arrange "visitation" for lack of a better word.
New family can keep the dog when the soldier is deployed and the soldier can have him when he's not.

That's of course assuming he's found at all. :please:

I have seen situations like this and my worry is this.
What if the dog is found.... living with another family for the last several months?

I hope if that happens that the soldier and the family can arrange "visitation" for lack of a better word.
New family can keep the dog when the soldier is deployed and the soldier can have him when he's not.

That's of course assuming he's found at all. :please:

I agree. He apparently left the dog with someone that was not trustworthy, if he gets deployed again it could happen again.

A lot of folks in rescue will NOT adopt to military personnel that might get deployed as it is just too risky.

Apparently he had left his family's contact info with this person, and that his family would have come from out of town to get him if needed.

Just wanted to update this thread since I have followed this story ever since. 1st Lt Harker has continued to search for Oakley, unfortunately he has not yet found him. The week of Christmas he was given a lab puppy to help fill the void while he continues his searches for Oakley. I hope Oakley comes home soon. jmo

375692_357299581078482_235587739_n.jpg

1535757_357346091073831_1925209657_n.jpg

What a horrible thing to do to someone! No less, a soldier serving overseas.

I really hope Lt Harker finds Oakley. :(

I agree. He apparently left the dog with someone that was not trustworthy, if he gets deployed again it could happen again.

A lot of folks in rescue will NOT adopt to military personnel that might get deployed as it is just too risky.

IMO those rescue folks unwilling to allow military personnel to adopt have no business claiming to be dog rescue. I'm actually infuriated.

IMO those rescue folks unwilling to allow military personnel to adopt have no business claiming to be dog rescue. I'm actually infuriated.

There are groups that Foster for deployed soldiers. I fostered a 13 year old cat named Sally for woman who was deployed to Iraq in 2005. Sally had just been diagnosed with early stage renal disease and they needed a foster that was able to give fluids, although it was only required weekly at that point. She was with me for almost a year. After her mom's return to the States and, of course, Sally's return to her mom, we stayed in touch and when Sallys time came to pass over the bridge she asked me to accompany her and Sally to the vet. I was honored to do so and we both stayed with Sally as she peacefully passed.

The group was called Operation Noble Foster and I consider it one of the best things I ever did. I love animals and am always rescuing them, so I worried it would be super hard to let Sally go when her mom returned, but it really wasn't. I just always kept in my mind that I was just her temporary mom. and knew that I was giving her owner peace of mind to do what needed to be done.

I would think instead of denying our armed forces the right to enjoy pets, they might want to think about offering foster services, if needed, to the men and women who put their lives on the line to defend our freedom.

BTW, I never supported our involvement in Iraq. However, I was able to understand the difference between the idiotic decisions of Politicians and the fact that the military does not get to choose where they are sent. Regardless of what war I did or did not support, they stand ready every single day to die for our freedom.

Adding one more cat to the herd for a year didn't seem like a really big sacrifice in comparison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back