718 users online (76 members and 642 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - The man whose ashes keep washing ashore

His final journey: Man's ashes wash up in Florida after widow sends her travel-loving husband in a bottle with heartfelt note. (Daily Mail)
    A Tennessee widow packaged up some of her husband's ashes in a plastic bottle along with a note and $2, and set him adrift in the Atlantic Ocean on his final adventure last year.

When Gordon Smith died of a brain hemorrhage at the age of 57, his wife Beverly, 56, felt the avid traveler wasn't ready to stop exploring.
    ---
    The couple had been married for 27 years when Gordon Smith died suddenly, leaving Beverly to ponder a future without her travel-loving husband.
    ---
    'He loved the ocean. I wanted to let him travel a little and let him sail away,' she said.
    ---
    Earlier this month, he turned up at Mile Marker 79 at Islamorada, Florida. A man named Ross found the bottle and added his own note.
    ---
    Last week, Skinny Smith turned up again, this time in Key Colony Beach, Florida. Judi Glunz Sidney was cleaning litter from the shore of the beach in front of Glunz Ocean Beach Hotel and Resort when she noticed a plastic bottle with money and what appeared to be sand inside.
    ---
    'We put him in a rum bottle (you know, added a little fun to his trip) with the three notes. We added another $1 in case Gordon travels far and a long distance call is needed.'
    ---
    Beverly Smith is still dealing with the grief of losing her husband every day. But hearing of his adventures from people Skinny Smith has managed to touch, even in death, helps her cope.
    ---
    'You can't change it but you can lift your head up and be thankful… that people can still appreciate love stories - real love stories.'
    much more, with pictures and a map of the journey, at the link

What a great story! Thanks. - i.b.

That sounds great! I hope he travels far and wide
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

She sounds like a great wife!

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    She sounds like a great wife!
    Yes she does. Love the story.

Iam so glad I picked this thread/topic to start off what a great story . I like the part where they switched him to a rum bottle to give him a little fun on his trip HaHa .His wife sounds like a great lady I hope this story brings a smile to her face and breaks some of the sadness for her... Good Story
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

Awwwwwwwww, carry on Skinny Smith.

I can see how they thought it was sand in a bottle. I was surprised when we took some of my dad's ashes out to go to Lake Meade. I thought it would be ashes like regular ashes. They are like "sand in a bottle".

Bless his wife. Such a young woman to lose the love of her life.

I blame American education. Where does she think a bottle tossed into the ocean ends up?

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Awwwwwwwww, carry on Skinny Smith.

I can see how they thought it was sand in a bottle. I was surprised when we took some of my dad's ashes out to go to Lake Meade. I thought it would be ashes like regular ashes. They are like "sand in a bottle".

Bless his wife. Such a young woman to lose the love of her life.

Calcium is what is left after cremation,soft tissues vaporize and bone turns to powder.
    Mr. Smith if that rum is Bacardi you may make friends with my mother,Becky. Her ashes were scattered off West Palm Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I blame American education. Where does she think a bottle tossed into the ocean ends up?
    I think it was the whole point that the bottle would end up on various shores. It's not like the other story a while ago when someone dumped a body in the ocean hoping it would stay there and were shocked when it washed up on the shore.

Donjeta, my post was just a joke. Not a very successful joke, as it turns out.