Unarmed Man Shot by Deputies Inside His Own Car Outside His Own Home

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://gawker.com/though-middletons-wounds-are-not-life-threatening-he-w-949629260

Unarmed Man Shot by Deputies Inside His Own Car Outside His Own Home
Neetzan Zimmerman

Deputies in Florida's Escambia County have some explaining to do after they allegedly shot an unarmed man for grabbing a box of cigarettes out of his own car outside his own house.

Roy Middleton was returning home from work early Saturday morning, when he stopped by the car he and his mother share to grab some cigarettes.

A neighbor who didn't recognize Middleton phoned the local sheriff's office to report a possible burglary....

Here's another article;

Roy Middleton shot in his driveway by Escambia County deputies, family claims 17 shell casings found

PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) -- A pair of Florida Panhandle deputies shot and wounded an unarmed man in his driveway over the weekend.

Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan said during a news conference Monday that two deputies responded to a 911 call about a possible burglary early Saturday morning and found Roy Middleton, 60, searching through the car.

The deputies reported that they told Middleton to show his hands multiple times, but he eventually lunged out of the car and spun toward them.

Fearing for their safety, the deputies opened fire, hitting Middleton in the leg...

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/...y-claims-17-shell-casings-found#ixzz2aXEdS1sv

17 shell casings and he was only hit in the leg....that's lucky I guess. Geez I see a lawsuit in his future and I wouldn't blame him a bit.

Middleton told the Pensacola News Journal that he initially believed that the voices were from a neighbor who was playing a joke on him. When he got out of the car, however, the deputies began shooting.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-man-driveway-article-1.1412206#ixzz2aXY2VplW

He thought neighbors were playing a JOKE on him at 3 am in the morning? Well seems to me if he thought it was a "joke" then he may have spun around real fast in a "joking manner" which turned out to be a very not good idea.

Seriously what 60 year old out on their driveway at 3 am would think it was a "joke" when they hear men that claim to be police telling him to show his hands???

Plus they fired 17 rounds and only hit in him the leg??? Those cops need to spend more time practicing.

Even if he spun around "real fast" I fail to see how that would justify shooting him.
Sounds like somebody had real trigger happy fingers.

Even if he spun around "real fast" I fail to see how that would justify shooting him.
Sounds like somebody had real trigger happy fingers.

If they repeatedly told him they were POLICE and he needed to SHOW HIS HANDS and he just kept rummaging through the car because he thought "it was a joke" then yeah, spinning around real fast with something in your hand WOULD justify a shooting imo.

Common sense folks. It was 3 am. If the police make a reasonable request and folks choose to ignore it and carry on in an odd way (especially when the neighbors called to say a car was being burglarized) then I have very little sympathy for them.

If they repeatedly told him they were POLICE and he needed to SHOW HIS HANDS and he just kept rummaging through the car because he thought "it was a joke" then yeah, spinning around real fast with something in your hand WOULD justify a shooting imo.

Common sense folks. It was 3 am. If the police make a reasonable request and folks choose to ignore it and carry on in an odd way (especially when the neighbors called to say a car was being burglarized) then I have very little sympathy for them.

He was 60. Could he have hearing problems? Did LE know whether he had hearing problems or not? Was he fully awake? It was 3 am. If he was like me, even if he was half awake he might run out to the car to get his cigs if he woke in the middle of the night.

Most of the time I am all for LE using whatever force necessary to protect themselves. But this time I really question it. Yes they were on a burglary call. But they were also in a residential neighborhood, where it isn't uncommon for people to go to their cars anytime of the day or night. And being dark, another neighbor may not recognize them.

Shooting first and asking questions later is not the answer.

Oh My Gosh...

If I were at my OWN home at 3am, going through my OWN car, located on my OWN property and somebody told me to show my hands - I'd tell them to kiss my azz no matter who they were. Police or not is beside the point. It would be MY RIGHT to go into my car to grab ciggies at any time of day or night without answering to ANYBODY.

I can relate to him thinking he thought his neighbors may be joking around. My neighbors & my family have the same kind of rapport - at all hours lol, especially the summer...and we live in a pretty quiet neighborhood.

I'm thinking some certain cops may be put on unpaid leave while an internal investigation takes place. I'm almost always pro police, but not in this instance at all.

I have to emphasize this is not some third world country we live in. I swear.

I with Jersey Girl. I have issues with me being pulled over for a simple traffic ticket and an office questioning where I was going, which direction and who I was gonna be seeing. What?? Really? I mean come on. This was in my own neighborhood! People making assumptions about who should be in what neighborhood just leaves a bad taste in my mouth cause I've lived it. I am all behind law enforcement doing their jobs and I dont envy them most times. It's tough out there.

But spinning around real fast? Come on I've seen worse on the show cops! I've seen real perps run from the cops, try to resist arrest, even fight an officer. Cops experience people drunk, high, angry etc every day. Yet, people make it to the drunk tank unscathed.

We dont live in Nazi Germany in a police state. Police departments have policies and protocols to follow by. 17 shots? WOW. Just wow.

Oh My Gosh...

If I were at my OWN home at 3am, going through my OWN car, located on my OWN property and somebody told me to show my hands - I'd tell them to kiss my azz no matter who they were. Police or not is beside the point. It would be MY RIGHT to go into my car to grab ciggies at any time of day or night without answering to ANYBODY.

I can relate to him thinking he thought his neighbors may be joking around. My neighbors & my family have the same kind of rapport - at all hours lol, especially the summer...and we live in a pretty quiet neighborhood.

I'm thinking some certain cops may be put on unpaid leave while an internal investigation takes place. I'm almost always pro police, but not in this instance at all.

BBM

99% of cops are good people. It's a shame that so many of the 1% do really :censored: up things.

That's one reason why I hate all these prank shows and pranksters. Too unpredictable as far as outcomes.

Second, watch your step in FL....seriously. Lean to the side of caution---->stay inside at all times!

:scared:

Here's another article;

Roy Middleton shot in his driveway by Escambia County deputies, family claims 17 shell casings found

PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) -- A pair of Florida Panhandle deputies shot and wounded an unarmed man in his driveway over the weekend.

Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan said during a news conference Monday that two deputies responded to a 911 call about a possible burglary early Saturday morning and found Roy Middleton, 60, searching through the car.

The deputies reported that they told Middleton to show his hands multiple times, but he eventually lunged out of the car and spun toward them.

Fearing for their safety, the deputies opened fire, hitting Middleton in the leg...

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/...y-claims-17-shell-casings-found#ixzz2aXEdS1sv

The headline on this thread is clearly misleading. Read it right there in the article, the guy refused to keep his hands where they could be safe to approach him. Cops can't just go "okay, never mind", every time a fool resists their instructions which are there to keep everyone, (cops, callers , suspects and gawkers ) safe while they investigate a reported crime. Geesh!

MOO

C
BBM

99% of cops are good people. It's a shame that so many of the 1% do really :censored: up things.

This story is not an example of any wrongdoing on the part of any cop. The cops did a fine job, its the guy who got shot who decided to act like criminal. If he would have simply followed instructions like any other reasonable person the cops could have confirmed his ID and moved on to the next call.

I'm sick of seeing cops get slammed for doing their job properly. How about we start expecting people to cooperate with police instead of being uncooperative and lunging/ struggling/ posing a threat? That's what got this guy shot and it was 100% his own choice to act that way!

Good job cops!

C

This story is not an example of any wrongdoing on the part of any cop. The cops did a fine job, its the guy who got shot who decided to act like criminal. If he would have simply followed instructions like any other reasonable person the cops could have confirmed his ID and moved on to the next call.

I'm sick of seeing cops get slammed for doing their job properly. How about we start expecting people to cooperate with police instead of being uncooperative and lunging/ struggling/ posing a threat? That's what got this guy shot and it was 100% his own choice to act that way!

Good job cops!

This man was not armed. He was also not doing anything wrong. He was looking for cigarettes in his own property. How police shooting him is them doing their job properly is beyond my understanding.

I'd like to know if cop cars got any video because of not necessarily believing that a sixty year old man lunged at someone in the dark. His initial suprise probably never got past someone out there suddenly yelling at him and his first brief thought before moving his body and being shot was thinking it was a joke.

And what's more, I am betting the term "lunge" is straight from page 1 of the LE *advertiser censored*-covering Manual for Triggerhappy Noobs.

The call transcript really is interesting...

Dispatch: Oh… Let me know if he does anything. He still hasn’t gotten the car started, has he?

Caller: No.

Dispatch: O.K.

Caller: Looks like he’s rifling through the center console right now.

Dispatch: You should see the deputies any minute.

Caller: Alright.

Dispatch: He still has not noticed you?

Caller: No… This is crazy. I’m standing out here in the middle of the yard talking on the phone, and he’s hardly even noticed me.

..... this could so be a political comedy sketch, if it wasn't for real...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back