1124 users online (180 members and 944 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538

    CA - Montebello, Wht/HispFem Skeletal UP11623, 35-55, off bike path, Jul'13

    at the request of a newcomer, I am starting this thread.

    not a whole lot of information on the remains, e.g. gender, estimated date of death, demographics, etc.

    http://ktla.com/2013/07/31/human-rem...#axzz2adi44l00
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 12-05-2013 at 01:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    Here's the approximate location: http://goo.gl/maps/5mvU0

    It's kind of hard to see, but the Rio Hondo Bike Path is marked on the map as a green dotted line. The path runs along the streets there, and the photo clearly shows a separate path, so I suspect this isn't the exact location. If you look just north, across W. Avenida de la Merced, there's a narrow trail that looks more likely to me. Here's the map zoomed in on that area: http://goo.gl/maps/yCp2I

    The big building complex occupying the 900 block appears to be a church complex.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,229
    So it sounds like the remains couldn't have been there for too long.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    I can't imagine how, unless there are some isolated/hidden pockets along that trail, or they were buried and recently uncovered, or something.

    The way they're described as "scattered in the area" makes me think somebody moved them from somewhere else.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    scattered usually means that the remains were disturbed by animals scavenging the deceased's body.

    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    I can't imagine how, unless there are some isolated/hidden pockets along that trail, or they were buried and recently uncovered, or something.

    The way they're described as "scattered in the area" makes me think somebody moved them from somewhere else.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    scattered usually means that the remains were disturbed by animals scavenging the deceased's body.
    I know usually it does, but we were commenting that it doesn't look like an area where a body could lie undiscovered for long enough to become bones to be scattered. Very public crowded are. I know it has happened, though, so that might be it.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,229
    that looks like an area that would get periodically mowed down- that is why I don't think they would have been there too long. But since I don't know the exact location- I could be wrong.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,853
    The remains are in an area known for homeless encampments. And they say that the remains have been there for "some time".


    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9191481

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    The remains are in an area known for homeless encampments. And they say that the remains have been there for "some time".


    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9191481
    Interesting. Just goes to show how misleading Google views can be.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Interesting. Just goes to show how misleading Google views can be.
    Your link gives West Lincoln Avenue. The news story says North Lincoln Avenue. When I look at North Lincoln Avenue on google maps, it seems to be a tiny section of the street in between two bits of East Lincoln Avenue. 900 N Lincoln Avenue as a search puts the pointer on East Lincoln Avenue. Google has something weird happening, or the streets themselves are odd or the news story in not accurate.

    But going by what the terrain looks like, with bits of largish branches bleached out on the ground, I think the actual homeless-camping spot is a bit further down the bike track, in the more wild area. Far enough off the road to be hard for a police car to access, some dense scrub cover to hide them from concerned locals, and a watercourse for washing in. Perfect. And when I zoom into the spot where roadway, bikeway and waterway are closest, I even see a spot of blue that is the same color as many cheap tarpaulins.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    18,098
    Quote Originally Posted by reasypeasy View Post
    Your link gives West Lincoln Avenue. The news story says North Lincoln Avenue. When I look at North Lincoln Avenue on google maps, it seems to be a tiny section of the street in between two bits of East Lincoln Avenue. 900 N Lincoln Avenue as a search puts the pointer on East Lincoln Avenue. Google has something weird happening, or the streets themselves are odd or the news story in not accurate.

    But going by what the terrain looks like, with bits of largish branches bleached out on the ground, I think the actual homeless-camping spot is a bit further down the bike track, in the more wild area. Far enough off the road to be hard for a police car to access, some dense scrub cover to hide them from concerned locals, and a watercourse for washing in. Perfect. And when I zoom into the spot where roadway, bikeway and waterway are closest, I even see a spot of blue that is the same color as many cheap tarpaulins.
    Thanks for catching that. Google is definitely weird about the address. I spelled out "North" instead of using the N abbreviation -- with just N it put the marker in a different spot. Egad. Now I'm dizzy

    Yes, that spot does look like the one in the photos and video.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    629
    I asked webrocket to start this thread as I am a newbie, and I'm very grateful he/she did, thank you. I also contacted CarlK90245 earlier today about an UID with a distinctive mushroom tattoo. What I hadn't realized, and CarlK90245 researched, is that these remains and the UID I sent him the link to are so very close together, geographically.

    Could there be a link? Coincidence?

    CA CA - S El Monte, WhtFem UP11394, 21-45, @Whittier Narrows Dam-Mushroom Tattoo, Apr'13 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

    I joined because of Maribel Ramos, I live in SoCal and had no idea just how many go missing/UID every year. Now, I hope I can help in any way I can. I guess I just wanted to let you all know where I'm coming from. I sincerely hope these poor people are identified and justice is served, if foul play is involved and closure for all those families who don't know what happened to a loved one.
    Last edited by KateB; 04-30-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    that looks like an area that would get periodically mowed down- that is why I don't think they would have been there too long. But since I don't know the exact location- I could be wrong.
    I know this area very well, as I ride this trail once a week for my weekly training ride. This part of the trail where the remains were found is a wooded area and it doesn't surprise me that remains were found here. I've seen evidence of people living in this area and seen clothes thrown across the trail.
    As for the remains being there for some time, if the remains were just of the trail a cyclist would of spotted them early on because this is a popular cycling path. But it appears a cyclist found the remains inside a bush near the path.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    The remains are in an area known for homeless encampments. And they say that the remains have been there for "some time".


    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9191481
    There are no updates since 8/1/13. Hopefully they update MSM when they have some identification - male? Female?etc.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    27,185
    If anyone finds any updates and I'm not here, can you let us know on the Bob Harrod thread?

    Just an aside, but I think the cyclist may have stopped to go for a wee in a bush, and that is how this poor person was discovered. Hidden like that in a bush (unless there was tarp or possessions) I'd think it was homicide, unless there was tarp or possessions to indicate a living place/space, and maybe natural death.
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance


    Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. OR OR - David Grubbs, 23, Ashland, 19 Nov 2011
    By gooniequeen in forum Cold Cases
    Replies: 315
    Last Post: 11-26-2017, 01:00 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-15-2017, 12:26 AM
  3. NY - 5 wounded in NYC bike path stabbing, slashing
    By Reader in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Tags for this Thread