Bloodsucking leech spends month up nose

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1517&e=18&u=/afp/healthhongkongleech

HONG KONG (AFP) - A Hong Kong woman hiker who washed her face in a freshwater stream unwittingly returned home with a leech embedded in her left nostril.

The woman did not realise anything was wrong until two weeks later when she felt there was something in her nose, the Hong Kong Medical Journal reported in its April edition.

"This form of leech infestation has not been previously reported," it added.

The woman could have suffocated if the leech had attached itself to her larynx, the journal said.

What is it with you this morning and the "Gross News of the Day"???? I'll have to come back in a bit - I need to let my cinnamon roll settle down. All that talk about junk food yesterday gave me a craving. :D

Those leeches are nasty. When I was a child I was wading in the lake and when I got out I noticed a leech on the top of my foot. I was screaming and running like crazy with my father chasing me with a salt shaker, he put the salt on and the sucker let go, I still have a tiny red spot on my foot from the thing. I can't imagine one being in your nose. Note to self, never wash your face in a fresh water lake. We called them blood suckers when we were kids.

Ok...I too cannot imagine how she could not have felt it? I can understand that she didn't feel it attach as they inject an anesthetic I believe...but to not feel the actual mass of the leach?! I get the smallest boogie in my nose and I'm heading for the tissue box!! Ewwww!!

packerdog said:
Those leeches are nasty. When I was a child I was wading in the lake and when I got out I noticed a leech on the top of my foot. I was screaming and running like crazy with my father chasing me with a salt shaker, he put the salt on and the sucker let go, I still have a tiny red spot on my foot from the thing. I can't imagine one being in your nose. Note to self, never wash your face in a fresh water lake. We called them blood suckers when we were kids.

Oh my goodness! Me, too! me, too!
When I was around 10 or so, we went camping/fishing at some lake up in Michigan, and I waded over
into the weedy, mucky part for a moment. I don't know why I thought to
look down...I think I felt something...but when I looked down my legs were
covered! I had several BIG ones and a lot (to me) of small ones!!!! I
ran screaming up to our camper...I mean SCREAMING and crying! I dumped
half of our salt on my legs and feet. Oh, my. (Ummm, I got into trouble
for wasting the salt though.:( )

Oh, my. I never would've thought you could end up with one INSIDE
your nose!!!:eek::eek::eek:
I think my swimming days are now over.:(
Lol, I've NEVER been able to totally relax in fresh-water anything ever since
my leach incident. (Tubing, Water-Skiing in the Maumee when younger, I'd ALWAYS check my legs...always, wimming in my friends' ponds was always the same. ) Now, I've gotta worry about MY NOSE...and really gross...if
it could go up her nose, yuck! Oh, yuck...I shall so not go there in my mind!
I think maybe I prefer a swimming pool. :D Yes, I shall stick with The Y.

:D much love y'all,

Ariel:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123