1052 users online (226 members and 826 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TX - Beloved college prof revealed as killer of family in 1967

Several aspects of the story are interesting. Here's the Daily Mail's tabloid take (which includes - warning - gory crime scene pics).

Beloved psychology professor outed as killer who murdered his family as a teen and was locked up for just 6 years after being found INSANE

• On August 4, 1967, 15-year-old James Wolcott shot dead his parents and 17-year-old sister with .22-caliber rifle
    • Wolcott admitted to the crimes, saying that he hated his mother because he chewed food loudly and his sister because she had a bad accent
    • Doctors diagnosed Wolcott with paranoid schizophrenia made worse by his addiction to airplane glue
    • Six years later, Wolcott was released from mental hospital after being declared sane
    • Changed his name to James St James in 1976 and went on to earn Master's degree and PhD

Chicago Sun Times, an in-state source in terms of his employment:

Millikin professor had dark secret: He killed his family 46 years ago

And the original story, in the Georgetown (TX) Advocate:

What Happened to Jim Wolcott? Lingering Questions Span Four Decades

Also at: http://wilcoonline.com/clients/wilcoonline/Wolcott.pdf

Wow! Either he has the world's best medicine and is cured or it wasn't insanity.

I've heard various stories - few of them good - about the place he was sent, Rusk State Hospital, in the '60s.

This one sounds a success though.

I don't know about this. I'm not sure he was insane when he committed the murders. The story just makes him sound like an angry teenager. I am usually all for second chances but I would never be comfortable with my child sitting in his class.

He sounds like a relatively normal '60s teen, albeit a very intelligent one with ready access to Austin, that center of hipness. Any existing condition would have been exacerbated by the glue-sniffing - which magnifies the effect of normal phenomena (the mother's chewing, the sister's accent). Excuse the use of the cliche, but a perfect storm seems to have formed: the typical generation-gap conflict with his father, an avalanche of anti-Establishment stimuli, the drug use, all leading into a descent into temporary madness. But insanity? Well, hard to say. Whatever the case, he seems to have made good use of his life.

ETA: anyone interested in the story is recommended to read the full account in the Georgetown Advocate - .pdf format works well.

The fact that he inherited the parent's estate is particularly galling. And how about changing his name? I'm assuming he lied on job applications.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Wow, he was lucky to be declared insane and not do much longer time. I was looking up things related to another crime in Ala. yesterday and saw a mention of a 16 year old who confessed to a shooting, turned himself in, and got LWOP.

Angry

Sickening.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

Family members of St. James’ victims: He never paid for it. (suntimes.com)
    (have to register - free - and log in to see article on Sun-Times site)

Illinois university stands by professor linked to 1967 killings. (chicagotribune.com)

From my limited experience with sociopaths it seems the world of academia has more than their share (most of whom do not get convicted of crimes).

Interesting that he committed that mass murder with a .22 rifle...just this morning a gun dealer in NC was telling me that the .22 rifle is far more deadly than most folks think. I sort of disregarded his comments but then you post this article.

In one of the articles it noted that St James enjoys telling his students that God doesn't exist.

What a vile, cold, empty, useless man. He's a sociopathic, cynical family annihilator. I have no sympathy for him & I hope he is drummed out of that university.

Plus--he was 15 at the time of the murders. I doubt he has a soul.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    No matter what the excuse, some things just can't be forgiven - not by me anyway.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Another from Chicago Sun-Times:

From James Wolcott to Professor St. James

This story enrages me. He should not have been found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1968! Also, he should not be allowed to keep his teaching position for many reasons including that he was dishonest when he changed his name/didn't divulge his past, not to mention he will be ineffective as a teacher now that everyone knows.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Liebchenmutti View Post
    In one of the articles it noted that St James enjoys telling his students that God doesn't exist.
    Which article was this? Can't find it. May have missed it.

In the .pdf Georgetown Advocate article it does say this:
    As a scientist, Dr. St. James seems to have an objective approach to religion as well and is very artful in his delivery. He is an atheist but he has been practicing his delivery for many years, on hundreds of students—with varying belief systems—without offending them. To paraphrase: Although some religious revelations may indeed be the word of God, they still contradict each other and therefore none of them can be true, so just get over it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast