1246 users online (296 members and 950 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

DE ∙ German boy finds mummy, death mask, canopic jar in grandmother's attic

Grandma's House: German Boy Finds Mummy in Attic
    Last week 10-year-old Alexander Kettler was playing in the attic of his grandmother's house in the northern German state of Lower Saxony when he came upon three mysterious cases in a cluttered corner. Neither his grandmother nor his father, a local dentist named Lutz Wolfgang Kettler, knew what was inside. So they hauled the dust-covered cases out of the attic, pried them open and peered inside with amazement.

"There was a huge sarcophagus and inside a mummy," said Lutz Wolfgang Kettler. "Then we opened the other cases and found an earthenware Egyptian death mask and a Canopic Jar," he added, referring to a container in which the ancient Egyptians kept the entrails of the deceased who had been mummified.
    ---
    Though Egyptomania had peaked a century earlier, trends like so-called mummy parties, where revelers got together and unwrapped a mummy to see what was inside, persisted through the middle of the 20th century. It's possible, suggests Kettler, that his father had something like this in mind.
    ---
    the rest at Der Spiegel link above

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Grandma's House: German Boy Finds Mummy in Attic

the rest at Der Spiegel link above
    I look like that when I wake up in the morning....

Before my first cup of coffee.....

2000-year-old Egyptian skeleton found by boy in German attic turns out to be a hoax and made out of PLASTIC. (Daily Mail)
    In an unexpected and slightly macabre twist, the mummy did contain a genuine skull, though an arrowhead found lodged in it appeared to come from a child's toy.

Quote Originally Posted by IHAVENOCLUE View Post
    I look like that when I wake up in the morning....

Before my first cup of coffee.....

I'll bet it was his grandfather.

I always wanted to find some cool creepy stuff in an attic when I was a child. Still do come to think of it.

I definitely FEEL like a mummy when I get up in the morning.

My first thought was it could be grandpa, lol, at least I am not alone.

But it seems grandpa is plastic, so must have been for a party and then got stashed away. A bit of a lavish party I'd say, but why else have a plastic mummy in your attic, along with a separate mask and canopic jar?

I do hope the lad grows up to be a world renowned Egyptologist, that way a very clean, and very modern sarcophogus and it's mummy contents will never fool us again.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

That is a fun find, but I have to admit I think it is a hoax. There's no way there could be a huge box with a sarcophagus 'hauled down' from an attic by 3 people including an elderly woman and a child. Those things are made of solid stone, right? Also, a box that big would never go unexplored in any attic of mine. How could the family not know it was there?