DE German boy finds mummy, death mask, canopic jar in grandmother's attic

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Grandma's House: German Boy Finds Mummy in Attic
Last week 10-year-old Alexander Kettler was playing in the attic of his grandmother's house in the northern German state of Lower Saxony when he came upon three mysterious cases in a cluttered corner. Neither his grandmother nor his father, a local dentist named Lutz Wolfgang Kettler, knew what was inside. So they hauled the dust-covered cases out of the attic, pried them open and peered inside with amazement.

"There was a huge sarcophagus and inside a mummy," said Lutz Wolfgang Kettler. "Then we opened the other cases and found an earthenware Egyptian death mask and a Canopic Jar," he added, referring to a container in which the ancient Egyptians kept the entrails of the deceased who had been mummified.
---
Though Egyptomania had peaked a century earlier, trends like so-called mummy parties, where revelers got together and unwrapped a mummy to see what was inside, persisted through the middle of the 20th century. It's possible, suggests Kettler, that his father had something like this in mind.
---
the rest at Der Spiegel link above

I always wanted to find some cool creepy stuff in an attic when I was a child. Still do come to think of it.

I definitely FEEL like a mummy when I get up in the morning.

My first thought was it could be grandpa, lol, at least I am not alone.

But it seems grandpa is plastic, so must have been for a party and then got stashed away. A bit of a lavish party I'd say, but why else have a plastic mummy in your attic, along with a separate mask and canopic jar?

I do hope the lad grows up to be a world renowned Egyptologist, that way a very clean, and very modern sarcophogus and it's mummy contents will never fool us again.

That is a fun find, but I have to admit I think it is a hoax. There's no way there could be a huge box with a sarcophagus 'hauled down' from an attic by 3 people including an elderly woman and a child. Those things are made of solid stone, right? Also, a box that big would never go unexplored in any attic of mine. How could the family not know it was there?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back