661 users online (90 members and 571 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    This crime is really one of the most horrifying ones I've read on here. If any crime would make the cops pretty much try to force a confession, this one would do it. I'm not saying it's o.k. to do that, but cops are only human and seeing this crime scene would make them want to lock someone up as quickly as possible. Maybe they really felt like they had their man, whether they did or not I cannot say, but they may have honestly believed they did at the time.

Arrest made...

http://mobile.news.com.au/world/brea...-1226833277469

A 43-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of a seven-year-old girl in 1992, UK police say.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...ling-1-6454522

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...lapsed-6730076

How sad, the mum suffered a mild stroke and was in hospital when she was told about the arrest.

The man arrested in February 2014 on suspicion of Nikki's murder turned out to be Steven Grieveson. Which would be understandable, given that Grieveson was already in prison for murdering four children. However all four of those children were teenage boys, killed for the obvious reasons, so it was always a bit of stretch to imagine that he was responsible for murdering a seven year old girl. Which likely explains why it now seems that he is no longer regarded as an active suspect.

Earlier this year, Northumbria Police arrested Sunderland man Steven Grieveson, 47, on suspicion of Nikki’s murder. He was questioned and bailed but detectives later said his bail had been cancelled and he has faced no further current action.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...olgirl-prepare

As the above source states, there appears to be have some hope in November that "pioneering DNA techniques" would provide an answer. No update on any results of said tests that I can find. But then similar reports regarding a possible DNA breakthrough have appeared before in 2012 and 2006 without anything much happening.

Quote Originally Posted by December View Post
    This crime is really one of the most horrifying ones I've read on here. If any crime would make the cops pretty much try to force a confession, this one would do it. I'm not saying it's o.k. to do that, but cops are only human and seeing this crime scene would make them want to lock someone up as quickly as possible. Maybe they really felt like they had their man, whether they did or not I cannot say, but they may have honestly believed they did at the time.
    The fact that it wasn't the right man only demonstrates why cutting the police slack in this way is never acceptable. It's not out of common decency that they make such mistakes either; it's because the police have become utterly performance-driven and will try and charge the first person who comes along rather than have their careers put at risk. As seen in the Rachel Nickell murder, this can have tragic consequences if the real killer is then left free to commit further crimes due to the tunnel vision of investigating officers.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...lling-12684445

She disappeared from a place near her family home - a place she knew, a place she would have felt safe.

By the time Nikki had been found she had been murdered in the most savage way.

She remains the youngest victim of an unsolved murder in Sunderland.

Sharon described it: “Her coat was found folded up next to her shoes.

“They had been placed there neatly and deliberately.”
    How odd that the clothes/shoes would be so carefully arranged but that the body was so badly battered - in my mind it seems a strange combination.

Nikki Allan murder: The bright bubbly seven-year-old taken by a mystery killer
    And today as the heartbroken mum prepares to mark the 25th anniversary of Nikki’s disappearance, Sharon has paid tribute to the little girl who is always in her thoughts.

The 51-year-old said: “She was just a bubbly little girl. Just a typical seven-year-old. She was always by my side.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...allan-11299007
    Oct 6 2017
    Dad of murdered schoolgirl Nikki Allan breaks 25-year silence as police announce DNA breakthrough in 'cold case'

Seven-year-old Nikki was found stabbed to death near her Sunderland home on October 7, 1992 - and the case has never been solved
    Detectives have now announced that new male DNA has been found that could provide a breakthrough.

Northumbria Police is today urging all men who may have had contact with Nikki prior to her death to come forward and give a sample, reports the Newcastle Chronicle.
    Det Insp Paul Waugh, who is looking into the unsolved murder, is urging male members of the family, friends or others who innocently may have come into contact with Nikki to come forward to have a DNA sample taken so they can be eliminated from inquiries.

He said: “In order to ensure we are able to fully consider any new scientific findings we have been obtaining DNA samples from people who may have been in the area at the time. This is perfectly normal within any forensic examination and we would urge anyone to come forward to ensure they can be ruled out of the investigation at an early stage.
    “As Nikki’s father, I have provided a DNA sample myself and it is very quick, easy and completely painless,” he said. “I would beg anyone who knew Nikki or had any contact with her before she died to please come forward to have your DNA taken. “This isn’t about accusing anyone of being a suspect - this is to eliminate you from police enquiries.”

Meanwhile, the charity Crimestoppers has also offered a reward of up to £10,000 for anyone who has information which leads to the conviction of Nikki’s Killer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2