859 users online (128 members and 731 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - 8-year-old boy dies after being found submerged head first in washing machine

Eight-year-old boy dies after being found submerged head-first in washing machine. (Daily Mail)

• The boy was unconscious and not breathing when emergency responders arrived Wednesday night
    • Paramedics resuscitated him for the trip to a nearby hospital
    • The boy died Sunday morning
    ---
    The boy was discovered by his father, who went inside the home about 7;30 Wednesday night to check on his son after doing chores in the yard.
    ---
    With the boy’s mother was reportedly out shopping, it appears he was inside alone.

The boy was on the ground next to the washing machine with his father when paramedics arrived.
    ---
    The death is being investigated by LA County Sheriff’s Office homicide detectives, the spokesperson told MailOnline, but they are operating under the assumption it was a tragic accident.
    ---
    the rest at the link, with links to CA-based articles

An eight year old isn't tall enough to lean over the side of the washing machine without standing on something like a chair. I hope they investigate this very carefully.

MOO

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    An eight year old isn't tall enough to lean over the side of the washing machine without standing on something like a chair. I hope they investigate this very carefully.

MOO
    It depends on the 8-year-old. I was the height of an average woman by that age. (I'm 6'3" now.)

But if one of the boy's chores was to load and start the washing machine, maybe he WAS standing on something to make it easier to complete the task.

That's just bizarre. Assuming it's an accident, how did he manage to get into the washing machine?
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    That's just bizarre. Assuming it's an accident, how did he manage to get into the washing machine?
    Most have a dryer next to the washer. Very strange. The machine couldn't have been on, they stop when you lift the lid.

My hideous old washer doesn't stop if the lid is lifted. It will not "continue" the load by rotating it - but it WILL fill up with water, and then it will wait for the lid to close to continue.

I wonder if he hit his head or even got stuck while it was filling up. I can't see an 8 year old submerging his head in a full machine, but it could have been empty or only just starting. Maybe he dropped something in there while he was starting a load?

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    Most have a dryer next to the washer. Very strange. The machine couldn't have been on, they stop when you lift the lid.
    How did he get on the dryer? I'm so glad I upgraded to a front loading system.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Okay, let's say the washer's on, and filling up. The boy is inside by himself. He decides to do something he's practiced before - a handstand. He trots up to the washer, braces his two hands against its top front, and swings himself upward. But he can't, when he arrives above it, plant his hands; there's condensation on the machine perhaps. He slides forward, and falls in.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Okay, let's say the washer's on, and filling up. The boy is inside by himself. He decides to do something he's practiced before - a handstand. He trots up to the washer, braces his two hands against its top front, and swings himself upward. But he can't, when he arrives above it, plant his hands; there's condensation on the machine perhaps. He slides forward, and falls in.
    Did he have any other injuries? I can see how an eight year old could try that stunt.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    Did he have any other injuries? I can see how an eight year old could try that stunt.
    Not sure. Sheriff's still investigating. I expect the autopsy will show something, though if there's no foul play involved I'm not sure we'll ever hear.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    If the lid is up the water will run but the machine is off. It just doesn't explain how he drowned.
    If he could get his head in, I think he could get it out. I'm not buying this story.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    If the lid is up the water will run but the machine is off. It just doesn't explain how he drowned.
    If he could get his head in, I think he could get it out. I'm not buying this story.
    He knocks himself unconscious, head down in a full tub of water.

It does sound pretty hinky all the way 'round though. Then again, that's why they call 'em freak accidents.

Nothing new on it today that I can find.

This is a story about a three year old boy. I wonder if our 8 year of was small for his age. He may have wedged himself in.....trying to reach for something....and was unable to get out. RIP little man. My prayers are with all those who loved him.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ne.html?pg=all

In the laundry room, the lid to the washer was open, the tub filled with water. She reached in and felt her little boy, wedged tightly inside.
    "Everybody talks about a tub (and the risk of children drowning in them)," said Tiffany Hebb, who's pregnant with the couple's second child. "I knew never to leave him alone in the tub. … I never thought about the washing machine (being dangerous). I just want to make mothers and fathers aware that it's a possibility."

Is this in San Diego?

I can totally buy this being an accident. Today my 6 year old asked me if he could help with the laundry and I said "sure throw a pod in the washer for me". He pulled up a stool and threw it in and then watched it dissolve as the machine filled up. He loved to watch it melt and all the colours dissolving together. He could have easily slipped if the stool gave way and fell head first into the machine. I think just the momentum would have allowed his head to thrust through even if the space between the sides and centre agitator was too tight and there is no way he could have gotten out again especially with the stool gone out from under him. His legs would just be dangling. Add to this the shock of entering either ice cold or scalding hot water head first. Yikes. I've learned my lesson reading this and my son won't be doing this again but I can totally see it being a plausible accident.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast