712 users online (83 members and 629 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

American tourist breaks the finger off a 600-year-old statue in Italy

Why American Tourists Aren't Exactly Welcomed With Open Arms, Pt. 968,203:

American Tourist Breaks Finger Off 600-Year-Old Italian Statue. (Gawker)
    There are a few basic rules in museums. The first, and most important, is: don't touch the art. Unfortunately, that's just what one 55-year-old American tourist from Missouri did during a recent a recent visit to Florence's Museo dell'Opera del Duomo. The result? A 600-year-old statue lost a finger.

The man was reportedly measuring his hand next to the late 14th century piece of art when he touched the statue's finger, causing it to break off.

"We are sure that the damage was caused by the American tourist because the work has recently returned from the exhibition at the Uffizi Golden Flashes, where it was exposed, and then on its return was carefully controlled,” the museum's head Timothy Verdon told the New York Daily News. “In a globalized world like ours, the fundamental rules for visiting a museum have been forgotten – that is, 'Do no touch the works.' "
    ---
    more, with pictures, at the links

EXCLUSIVE: The American SURGEON who accidentally snapped finger off 600-
    year-old statue in Florence museum (you'd have thought he'd be better with his hands!)
    . (Daily Mail)

Stuff like this is why many of us, when in Europe, dont correct folks if they assume I'm Canadian.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Note to self.....just kidding but that could soooo be me. I'll have to tell my family I was not in Italy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tgirl1130 View Post
    Note to self.....just kidding but that could soooo be me. I'll have to tell my family I was not in Italy
    BWHAAA! Too funny. I need to let mine know too..

That is a big Whoopsie!
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

You can see by the pin that someone else broke it before -- it was probably loose.

Phewww, So glad some find this funny because if I was Italy , standing beside that statue, I'd yell to my dh, hon take a pic of me while I hold onto this statue.....snap.

Oops!

PS- that link didn't work for me, but I found this alternate:
    http://news.yahoo.com/tourist-statue...155158700.html

That reminds me of a friend of mine who was selling his great great uncles antique statues. They were around 300 yrs old ,as he was doing his selling pitch one of the fingers just fell off one of them and when he unwrapped the other one the nose was coming off. I was trying not to laugh but it wasn't easy. For some reason Michael Jackson popped into my mind. I watched the price negotiations going down and down until he had to call the deal off. He took them to a professional to have them refurbished. It ended up costing him more to fix the darn things than what they were worth. I don't know if he ended up selling them or not, but I wouldn't touch them with a ten ft. pole. It's a shame because they were beautiful. Were, being the operative word here.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    You can see by the pin that someone else broke it before -- it was probably loose.

It's only funny when it's anti-American. Any other "Anti group" would be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    Poor craftsmanship.

I don't care about his nationality but it's funny that he's a surgeon...

What's with the measuring thing?

I mean, so you measure and compare and match and determine that your hand is bigger, smaller, the same size as a random old work of art. Then what?

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Ironically, we were just in Italy in June and while at St. Peter's Basilica, our guide encouraged us (especially my children) to place our hands alongside of the statues (specifically the cherubs) to show the size differences. Thank God we didn't break anything!

For hilarious accounts of the foibles of both tourists and natives of the countries they visit, Twain's 'The Innocents Abroad' is hard to beat.

He did sound the stereotyping keynote for natives of the U.S., touring overseas, when he wrote,
    "We were troubled a little at dinner to-day, by the conduct of an American, who talked very loudly and coarsely. and laughed boisterously when all others were so quiet and well behaved. He ordered wine with a royal flourish...."
    Like it or not, for better or worse, the image has lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    For hilarious accounts of the foibles of both tourists and natives of the countries they visit, Twain's 'The Innocents Abroad' is hard to beat.

He did sound the stereotyping keynote for natives of the U.S., touring overseas, when he wrote,

Like it or not, for better or worse, the image has lasted.
    One of my favorite books!
    Twain and his companions loved teasing their guides:
    There is one remark (already mentioned,) which never yet has failed to disgust these guides. We use it always, when we can think of nothing else to say. After they have exhausted their enthusiasm pointing out to us and praising the beauties of some ancient bronze image or broken-legged statue, we look at it stupidly and in silence for five, ten, fifteen minutes--as long as we can hold out, in fact--and then ask:
    "Is--is he dead?"
    The Innocents Abroad on-line: http://classiclit.about.com/library/...nnocents-1.htm

One of my favorite descriptions of we U.S.-ers in another land is from WWII when GIs arrived in England to train and ready themselves for the invasion of the continent.

Our boys were paid much better than the English troops. And we were, and are, not a timid people.

The British phrase for these foreigners on their soil was that we were "overpaid, over-sexed, and over here!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast