1036 users online (219 members and 817 guests)  

Websleuths News

Who Dat Nation

MN - Duluth police unable to identify possible kidnap victim

I'm not sure what to make of this, but thought it worth posting on the chance someone might read it who has information.

Duluth police unable to identify possible kidnap victim
    Published August 08, 2013, 12:25 PM
    By: News Tribune staff, Duluth News Tribune
    The Duluth Police Department has used significant resources to find the victim of a possible abduction, but have turned up no leads, the department reported today.

Police were called at 5:45 p.m. with a report that a black Ford Expedition SUV with white rims pulled up to the girl on the 1900 block of West Third Street. The caller said an American Indian man wearing dark clothing and a bandanna over his face got out of the SUV, carrying a police-style baton. Police were told he pushed the caller and then forced the girl inside the vehicle. The caller said three other people were in the SUV.

The girl described her as American Indian with long, black hair put up in a bun. She was wearing white sunglasses and a green shirt with “Aero” written on the front. She was also wearing white leggings, flip-flops and a silver bracelet.
    The man described as the alleged abductor as wearing a long-sleeved Chicago Bulls shirt. The caller said he had black hair in a braid and was about 5 feet 11 inches tall. The license-plate number on the Ford might end with “03,” police said.
    Duluth police: No evidence of abduction
    Published August 08, 2013, 04:37 PM
    By: John Myers, Duluth News Tribune
    Officers still are investigating a report that a girl was taken Wednesday in Lincoln Park.

“It’s an odd case,” Duluth police Chief Gordon Ramsay said. “It’s very unusual not to substantiate an identity.”

[Lt. Mike Ceynowa of the department’s major crime bureau] said … We’re taking it extremely seriously. I don’t want to come out and say it was fabricated.”

Ramsay said the alleged abduction was broadcast statewide by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension on the Minnesota Crime Alert Network... He said they didn’t issue an Amber Alert to popular media because they had no accurate identification of a victim.

The FBI also has been consulted in the case.
    Muddy water in the street
    ; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"

I found this to be so unusual based on the level of detail relayed by the teen reporting the incident. Down to precisely what the alleged abductor was wearing and vehicle description. So much detail.

I suppose a teenage girl could be missing and her family not report it for a few days if she was staying with friends or her family was vacationing or away from home for a short while. I stayed home alone as a teen while my parents took short trips, etc.

However, this all seems very odd. I am glad law enforcement is taking it seriously until proven otherwise.

What struck me is that both the man and the girl are described as American Indian. So this could easily be an angry father/angry daughter situation. Which may be why no parents are coming forward.

But there is also the fact that the witness allegedly got pushed. And I wonder if maybe they have something on a camera or something. Something is keeping LE's attention.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

This is very odd. The name the girl gave to the police does not exist at that HS. I did find one person by the name and she graduated in 2005 from up in Moose Lake.

Could the girl who witnessed the crime be wrong on the name?

No matter it's good to hear police just didn't dismiss this.

Here is a vid from a WDIO news report with an interview of the teenage witness. IMO she seems very credible. However a second report indicates the police are indicating her story has inconsistencies. There is also some new information about the alleged victim having been in the witnesses gym class. JMO

Could her inconsistencies be because she is misidentifying this girl or she isn't sure of her name? I believe the second link has footage from the Duluth Police Dept press conference.
    Last edited by KateB; 06-01-2015 at 02:07 AM. Reason: repair url tag.