TX - teen finds Mom's body in freezer

TGIRecovered

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/0...s-mother-body-in-freezer-at-home-cause-death/

"The teenager called the police after finding the body in a deep freezer often used to store meat and other foods for long periods. It's not clear what led him to look in the freezer."

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/23091331/north-texas-womans-body-found-in-freezer

"Police and the Texas Rangers did question her husband, who has prior drug, misdemeanor assault and deadly conduct convictions. There was a warrant out of Palo Pinto County for his arrest because of a parole violation. However, they said he has an alibi."

(Don't they all... )

MOO

Oh my goodness, that poor child! I hope he is surrounding by a very strong support network to help him get through this.

This surprised me though...
A preliminary report from the medical examiner released Friday afternoon says there's nothing to indicate foul play was involved.

Sullivan said he has seen accidental freezer deaths before and there were no obvious signs of trauma on Herrin's body.

From your link:
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/23091331/north-texas-womans-body-found-in-freezer#ixzz2bWmwPMZP

I don't understand how this could have happened? After a quick Google search I could find a lot of information about children getting trapped inside and suffocating (poor darlings), but I can't find anything about accidental adult deaths.

I'm sure once they release the victim's name we will find out a lot more information.

I'm not worried about preliminary results. To me that just means she wasn't shot stabbed or beat up.

There are plenty of ways to kill a person, including putting them in a deep freeze after giving them drugs or suffocation etc. Even if a person was stumbling drunk I don't think they could accidentally fall all the way in the freezer, so far that their whole body is completely inside and the lid is completely shut. (Unless someone saw you slumped over the side, helped you the rest of the way in and slammed it shut on you. )
MOO

Good God.....this is something from a horror show FGS.....he finds his mother in a freezer? Talk about nightmare inducing.....how do you ever recover from seeing that?

When I worked in psych a patient allegedly committed suicide by climbing in a freezer. I din't buy the story. JMO

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Son-finds-moms-body-in-deep-freezer-218983771.html

Sullivan did not release the woman's name, but said she is in her 40s. A relative identified the woman as Shannon Herrin.

Sullivan said it's too early to tell whether foul play is involved in Herrin's death.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/MIneral-Wells-woman-found-dead-in-freezer-218970771.html

Sullivan said the woman's 19-year-old son found her body inside the freezer at about 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the family's home near the intersection of Southeast 19th St. and Southeast 14th Ave.

Police described the freezer as a chest that opens from the top and was not locked at the time of the discovery.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Womans-Body-Found-in-Mineral-Wells-Freezer-218969921.html

Huddleston was last seen Thursday morning in her home while getting ready for work.

If a live adult was stuck in a freezer, how long would it take to suffocate? Would they die of hypothermia first?

I wonder how big the freezer was and if it was almost empty or pretty full. I hope they checked the trash for partially thawed meat.

Moo

Wow this is horrible. How long had it been since then son saw his mother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm rather short and we used to own a pretty big chest freezer. It was a commercial one that had a latch over an eyelet incase there was a need to padlock it. I hated that freezer. What I wanted was always on the bottom, and being short ..,, well...I once has a very close call. I can say I can certainly see it happening! After my close call, I refused to fetch stuff from it and sent hubby to do it.

Funny... We kept it in a shed outside. My dog at some point must have kicked out the plug ..., could have been unplugged for three weeks....in July.

Everything appeared fine....until ...Opened the lid! OMG!!! I called my homeowners insurance... Zero help. So I duct taped it up, listed it on Craig's List for free. Detailed it was full of rotting meat. Someone came in an hour to get it... Never even opened it to look inside!

Brave people!

How shocking, but it doesn't sit right with me, how does a grown adult end up in the freezer to begin with?

I fell into my parents' chest freezer once. I'm not that tall and it was a big ol' thing, about chest high to me, with a couple of sliding baskets on top and a big open cavity below. I was trying to reach something near the bottom, which required bending over the side so my feet were actually dangling.

And I fell in head first, with one of the baskets tipping and falling on top of me. The vibration made the lid fall. I was a bit stunned, took a minute to even realize what happened, and by then my mother had come to my rescue -- but if I had been home alone, I could easily have died. It's ZERO in that bleeping thing.

Mom replaced it with an upright side by side not long after that...

I fell into my parents' chest freezer once. I'm not that tall and it was a big ol' thing, about chest high to me, with a couple of sliding baskets on top and a big open cavity below. I was trying to reach something near the bottom, which required bending over the side so my feet were actually dangling.

And I fell in head first, with one of the baskets tipping and falling on top of me. The vibration made the lid fall. I was a bit stunned, took a minute to even realize what happened, and by then my mother had come to my rescue -- but if I had been home alone, I could easily have died. It's ZERO in that bleeping thing.

Mom replaced it with an upright side by side not long after that...

But did the lid shut all the way, trapping you inside? Were you the size of a grown woman?

That's the part that gets me. I can understand tipping over and falling in, but an adult would probably grab for the baskets or the side if the freezer and not curl up with their legs feet and arms all the way in.

I'm glad your mom was there!

We had a large freeze when I was younger that a person could fit into. No way an adult could fall into it IMO. And the lid didn't lock on ours. Even if you did fall in and the lid shut it would hit on your legs. Can't imagine how someone would fall in and let there whole body follow. (Only speaking of adults, not children)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But did the lid shut all the way, trapping you inside? Were you the size of a grown woman?

That's the part that gets me. I can understand tipping over and falling in, but an adult would probably grab for the baskets or the side if the freezer and not curl up with their legs feet and arms all the way in.

Yes, I was around 20 at the time. I'm 5'4". And I did exactly what you said, grabbed the basket. It tipped and came down on top of me, stunning me. I landed on my neck and shoulders facing up with that stuff spilled over my head and chest.

Yes, the door latched shut, but because of the stuff on top of me and the deep cold and dark, I'm not sure I could have struggled free and pulled myself out in time even if it was only loosely shut.

And yes, until that happened, I would have said it wasn't possible. I'd have said there wasn't room, that my legs would still be sticking out. But I did.

The problem for me was ... My legs were still sticking out but it was so scary and awkward I was kind wedged for a bit and didn't have the upper body strength or the right leverage to come up & just put my feet back on the little stool i was standing on. I had to get all the way in... Without letting the lid close .. In order to get out.

Our freezer had no baskets. We bought it used from a resturant going out of business. I don't know if it ever had baskets.

The problem for me was ... My legs were still sticking out but it was so scary and awkward I was kind wedged for a bit and didn't have the upper body strength or the right leverage to come up & just put my feet back on the little stool i was standing on. I had to get all the way in... Without letting the lid close .. In order to get out.

Our freezer had no baskets. We bought it used from a resturant going out of business. I don't know if it ever had baskets.

I always worried about that with a chest freezer. You could put large bags of ice in the bottom so you could reach your food easier. It would take up room but how much food do you eventually throw away because you couldn't reach it? And you can always use the ice.

I always worried about that with a chest freezer. You could put large bags of ice in the bottom so you could reach your food easier. It would take up room but how much food do you eventually throw away because you couldn't reach it? And you can always use the ice.

All I know...I will never own another!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back