Australia Australia - Lucia Amenta, 70, Fawkner, Vic, 19 Jan 2008

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
Inquest set for body-in-barrel victim Lucia Amenta

August 7, 2013

The state coroner has set aside four days in December to determine who stuffed the body of a grandmother in a barrel and later dumped it at a Melbourne creek.

The body of Lucia Amenta, 70, was discovered in a 44-gallon barrel found near Merlynston Creek in Broadmeadows in October 2009, 21 months after she was reported missing by her family.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/i...ucia-amenta-20130807-2res9.html#ixzz2bZCFw9LT

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...in-barrel-murder/story-e6frf7kx-1225944434512
Just reading this article back in 2010 when they recovered Mrs. Amentas body, media was reporting that they were so close to making an arrest as they had a strong suspect to the murder, then nothing. It’s really weird that nothing more was heard. The plastic barrel she was found in, was a distinct one and a similar one was also found at her family home. We have never heard how she was murdered. There was no report that indicated someone had entered her home. Nothing was missing from the home. No indication of foul play. No reports of anyone hearing anything. There were no reports on anyone seeing her leave her house that day. Just reports of a couple of people talking via phone and seeing her in her front yard that day.
I’m sure everyone has their suspicions but unfortunately police don’t have the final piece of evidence to charge the suspect.
Such a horrific way to end this dear old grandmas life. Did this grandma know a little too much about something, was she confiding into too many ears about things that she didn’t like that was happening around her, and this would be a way to end any information being spread?
There was not much said at all about what the motif could have been and nor has any family or friends spoken up, to my knowledge from what has been released to the media.
It’s definitely a cold case right now.

OMG, I am local to this case -- I remember all the posters of this poor lady when she was missing - they were on every shopfront, lots of phone poles.. her family clearly went all out to find her. We were all watching out for her, thinking maybe she had dementia and wandered off, or something.

I was so sad to hear about her fate, what a sad end to her life. She was obviously very loved.

Here's hoping whoever did this is caught, soon. I'm glad she's still in the news and things are moving along.

RIP, Mrs. Amenta.

eta: from the link in the post above: Mrs Amenta had been missing for 21 months and was last seen alive by her husband Paola Amenta outside their Fawkner home on Sydney Road on January 19, 2008, about 10.45am.

... but I swear the posters said she was last seen at a train station?

I too remember this case vividly. Especially about the drum being rare in Australia and then the police finding another one at the home. Also it got me that it looked like she had been cooking a meal.
When they said back then they were close to making an arrest, it seemed like it was cut and dried. But alas no one was ever charged. So now it will come before the coroner. Police will have to present all their investigations at that time and probably name their suspect.
AUsgirl I remember something about the station too. But I am wondering if it was another woman that also went missing. Somewhere in my head I have got that they searched Frankston. So many elderly people being murdered, missing I can't keep up with it. I just had a thought pop into my head that the Frankston woman was set on fire. Does this ring any bells with you?

YES! Rosemaria Lauria, from Coburg. That was before Lucia went missing IIRC. I think I have the two mixed up, though I am really sure we had posters for Lucia in our street.

The last I heard of Rosemaria, there was an inquest and then.. nothing. Still unsolved, afaik. Is there a thread here for her? I can't recall, which is terrible.. And there was another one in this area too a little earlier this year, though I believe that was a clear case of DV.

Anyway. Yep, pickle barrel, and another one in the back yard, eh. There was a lot of blah about her family, but you'd think if that was the case, they wouldn't leave a replica of the disposal barrel lying 'round the yard, or spend a small fortune on a six foot high poster of her, and all the other stuff they did to find her. :(

So, two older women just up and vanish just a short driving distance from each others' homes.. Weird, huh.

Oh - and our friend Ron Iddles strikes again - there's been a big break in the Michelle Brown case, too! (the frankston gun shop murder, '92) and they're an inch from arresting the guy who's been their suspect all along.

Let's hope they bag this guy, too. :)

I went to school with both of MIchelle's parents. B and J. That was so sad. I would see them on the news pleading for someone to come forward with information. Then it was years after they found her at the back of the shops. I saw a photo of J awhile ago in the sun talking about the murder would have been months ago. B. was not in the photo and I thought at the time I wonder if he is still alive? they had 5 daughters altogether.

I have not been on .WS very long so don't know how you would look up the archives. Plus you would probably have to know the heading to get a hit.

Perhaps you could ask Marlywings how to do it. When you find out you can tell me . Lol

Just my gut feeling, but I think we need to look at the family. I'm smelling the acrid whiff of organised crime a mile off. MOO.

Just my gut feeling, but I think we need to look at the family. I'm smelling the acrid whiff of organised crime a mile off. MOO.

Though the son seems to be well placed with his defacto being friends with 3 .AW personalities at the time who were helping to get the word out. According to the newspaper that is. The photo of him looks like he could be related to the two Italians that have been in the Melbourne news lately. Just my opinion.

According to msm the other brother had been estranged from the family until the mother's disappearance .

But you just never know whose toes you might step on and what the consequences might be.

madameh, I think a lot of locals have the same opinion. But I dunno.. From what I've seen, they went all out in the search for her, and the family just all looked gutted. Mind you, there's one son the papers kept saying 'denies involvement' which might be media-ese for 'is a POI'. But I try to think the best of folks, unless it's eye-poking obvious, you know? He'd have to be a complete moron to leave the other barrel lying around, if so, so maybe it's a not-so-organised crime, eh.

Marg, I saw that article - Michelle's mum still looks devastated, very sad indeed. I'm so sorry for your old schoolmates.. murder's hard to think about when it's that close to home isn't it?

To find a thread, try typing the name into the search function - I haven't worked out anything more sophisticated than that, I'm afraid, lol.

The son with the dancing gf and tattoos reminds me of Fabio.. :scared:

I went to school with both of MIchelle's parents. B and J. That was so sad. I would see them on the news pleading for someone to come forward with information. Then it was years after they found her at the back of the shops. I saw a photo of J awhile ago in the sun talking about the murder would have been months ago. B. was not in the photo and I thought at the time I wonder if he is still alive? they had 5 daughters altogether.

I have not been on .WS very long so don't know how you would look up the archives. Plus you would probably have to know the heading to get a hit.

Perhaps you could ask Marlywings how to do it. When you find out you can tell me . Lol

Marg....there was no thread for Michelle so I've now set one up at the following link...

Australia Vic - Michelle Brown,25,body found in a shed behind a Frankston gun shop - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

^ Hey, look how awesome Marly is. :D

(which is my way of asking if there's not a thread for Rosemaria, may we please have one for her, too? poor woman... afiak her case has gone cold.. oh, and also my way saying thanks, marly, you actually are awesome :heart: )

Just been checking out Australia's Missing Persons and at the top of the list posted 9 hours ago was Lucia Amenta with $100,000 reward for information. LE must be starting the ball rolling in all directions leading up to the coroner's case. Let's hope the money will bring something out of the woodwork.

^ Hey, look how awesome Marly is. :D

(which is my way of asking if there's not a thread for Rosemaria, may we please have one for her, too? poor woman... afiak her case has gone cold.. oh, and also my way saying thanks, marly, you actually are awesome :heart: )

Thanks Ausgirl....a thread for Rosemaria...

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228031"]Australia Vic - Rosemaria Lauria,68,charred body was found Oct 2006 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I'm really curious as to what her actual cause of death was.. I don't believe that has been stated in MSM?

Today, I am having a very hard time seeing why a total stranger would talk his way into an old woman's home, abduct her dead or alive in a barrel and then drive away with her in it. But not very far. Just to the local creek.

I hope to heck it wasn't her family. What a dog's act, a woman cooks and cleans all those years - and gets what in return.

Ausgirl, strictly my opinion, but I think someone in her family knows more about Lucias murder than what they are letting on. And i think the police know this. The "barrel situation" speaks volumes. Maybe she was murdered in an act of revenge against a family member, said family member comes home after the fact and cleans up. The police I reckon have offered the massive reward so that they can confirm their suspicions. All they need is a smoking gun and I believe the reward will deliver it.

MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back