Sheriff goes too far to find letter writer who called him fat

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Orange County's sheriff used driver's license records to contact a woman who wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper criticizing his staff's use of Taser stun guns and describing him as fat.

Some say Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary violated federal privacy law when he had his aides use the records to get the address of Alice Gawronski. He sent her a letter accusing her of slander.

It is illegal to access a driver's license database to obtain personal information, except for clear law-enforcement purposes, under the U.S. Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994.

"I recently read your slanderous remarks about the Orange County Sheriff's Office in the Orlando Sentinel," Beary wrote Gawronski on March 23. "It is unfortunate that people ridicule others without arming themselves with the facts before they slander a law enforcement agency or individual."

Gawronski said, "I thought I was exercising my First Amendment right of free speech expressing an opinion in an open forum about a paid public official." She considered Beary's letter a form of intimidation.

"If I were her, I'd sue and get him in front of a jury. He'd probably get laughed out of the courtroom," said Chris Hoofnagle, the senior counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center.

But sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said using a database to respond to a resident's concern is well within Beary's official duties.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/bizarre/040705_APsn_letter.html

Sheriff 'shoots down' complaintant with 'poison pen lett​
er'.

Claims that they were unarmed, and didn't have the correct facts. :D

vicktor said:
Sheriff 'shoots down' complaintant with 'poison pen lett​
er'.

Claims that they were unarmed, and didn't have the correct facts. :D
:woohoo: :woohoo: :clap:
OH VICKTOR.... youza funny man!

Members online

Online statistics