Perseid meteor shower to light up night sky this weekend

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Put out the lawn chair, set the alarm and maybe bring something to wet your whistle while you gaze into the nighttime sky — the year's best shooting star show has started.

August's annual Perseids meteor shower peaks Sunday and Monday, promising perhaps 70 meteors an hour those evenings.

"The Perseids are the good ones," says meteorite expert Bill Cooke of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefair/2013/08/08/perseids-2013-meteor/2628521/

You ever watch that show on tv 2 guys with some kinda metal detectors that go out looking for any leftover from a meteor shower hell they screem and hollar when they find a piece the size of a penny . Apparentlly those little meteor rocks that make it to earth are worth a ton of money like serious kinda money....

Put out the lawn chair, set the alarm and maybe bring something to wet your whistle while you gaze into the nighttime sky — the year's best shooting star show has started.

August's annual Perseids meteor shower peaks Sunday and Monday, promising perhaps 70 meteors an hour those evenings.

"The Perseids are the good ones," says meteorite expert Bill Cooke of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefair/2013/08/08/perseids-2013-meteor/2628521/

Heavy sigh... So now I know for sure it will be cloudy here, probably even rain. Always does when I get up, go outside to watch the sky at 2-3 am...

Heavy sigh... So now I know for sure it will be cloudy here, probably even rain. Always does when I get up, go outside to watch the sky at 2-3 am...

I am with you there...we moved to the outskirts of a smaller city and I was thrilled with the idea of watching the skies during meteor showers. I swear, almost 100% of the time we have had cloud cover. This weekend, we have too much smoke in the sky to see anything.

It is a clear here right now. We are going to try and see it tonight. We were watching last night, but didn't see a thing. We live right on the Great Lakes so no big city lights to distract from the show :)

Saw one last night when I was out for 5 min. It was great. I wish I had time to stay out longer. Just taking the time to be quiet and do nothing was special.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back