IL IL - Molly Young, 21, Carbondale, 24 March 2012

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
The story, with pictures, at the Daily Mail link:

So calm 'you'd think he was ordering pizza or something': Ex-boyfriend's emotionless
911 call one of many reasons Molly Young's father wants her suicide case reviewed

• Molly Young, 21, was discovered dead in her ex-boyfriend's apartment on March 24, 2012
• In his calm 911 call, ex-boyfriend Richie Minton said he woke up to find she had overdosed
• Her official cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head
• A coroner initially ruled Molly's death a suicide but that was overturned by a jury of coroners
• Molly's father wants the case reviewed and charges brought against Minton
• State's Attorney Mike Carr announced Monday there was insufficient evidence to charge Minton

Wow. Just...wah ow. There is a lot of information on this case available on the web, and none of it looks good for boyfriend RM.

And yet he walks.

For now. I have a feeling this isn't going to go as easily as he thinks it is for him.

Uh, what? She died of an overdose, even though there was a gunshot wound to her head? Surely the two would look very different.

Something is definitely very hinky about the boyfriend, nothing really adds up. She was shot in her left temple, but she's right handed? The gunshot didn't wake the boyfriend who was 'asleep' next to her? And why the story of the overdose, when clearly the evidence points to a different cause of death?

I hope her father finds the answers he needs to get to the bottom of this.

Rest in peace, Molly.

Interesting tidbit that's almost a throw-away line in the article:

"Minton was also working at the time as a police dispatcher."

Minton is the boyfriend.

Two things come to mind:

1) Maybe that was why he was used to sounding calm when speaking with LE in a crisis?

--or--

2) Maybe the case was swept under the rug because of his involvement in LE.

There weren't many things in the article to give any clues. Was she planning to leave the boyfriend, did they argue a lot, was he lying to her right and maybe she was afraid the bullet would hit him, did her toxicology report show any medications, etc.

There is a Facebook group with lots of information. Her father seems very level-headed--not out for blood, but doesn't look like he wants anything less than justice.

The Facebook group is closed, but you can access it through their website justiceformolly.org.

http://www.carbondaletimes.com/041212young

An early article.

*Carbondale police allowed Minton to wash his hands and change his clothing before he was brought to the station

*Minton, his roommate, and the victim Molly Young were all tested and came up negative for gunshot residue. Molly Young, the victim who supposedly shot herself did not test for residue (not saying it would definitively be there if she did indeed shoot herself), but we'll never know how Minton would have tested had he not been allowed to wash his hands.

*Minton's parents and lawyer were at the crime scene before he Illinois State Police arrived. ISP were called because Minton worked for Carbondale PD

http://m.thesouthern.com/news/local...11e2-a53b-0019bb2963f4.html?mobile_touch=true

*Molly was by all accounts a troubled girl, and there were a "flurry" of text messages sent from her phone starting at 4:45 am or so till 5:45 on the day in question, including one that said she would shoot herself in the head.

However, I have a hard time buying this flurry of text messages about suicide right after she was summoned to Minton's house at 3 something am.

*his gun. She was shot in the left side of the head, but she is right handed.

*no prints on gun.

*blood spatter found several feet away from where the victim supposedly shot herself, next to Minton, while he lay asleep

http://www.carbondaletimes.com/020413inquest

Minton texted Molly Young at 3 am saying he needed help. I believe he lured her.

Admittedly, all of the information about Ms Young's suicidal tendencies are distracting to this case. IMO, though, the evidence-both circumstantial and physical, is loud enough to scream murder.

http://carbondaletimes.com/021413young

Toxicology report showed no abnormal level of drugs in her system. Wording of this suggests to me she was probably on somehing--maybe an antidepressant or something, but nothing to corroborate Minton's assinine suggestion that she overdosed and bled out out of her nose.

http://m.thesouthern.com/news/local...11e2-a53b-0019bb2963f4.html?mobile_touch=true

*Molly was by all accounts a troubled girl, and there were a "flurry" of text messages sent from her phone starting at 4:45 am or so till 5:45 on the day in question, including one that said she would shoot herself in the head.

However, I have a hard time buying this flurry of text messages about suicide right after she was summoned to Minton's house at 3 something am.

*his gun. She was shot in the left side of the head, but she is right handed.

*no prints on gun.

*blood spatter found several feet away from where the victim supposedly shot herself, next to Minton, while he lay asleep

It's important to remember, too, that text messages can be sent by anyone. I also find the flurry of text messages strange, why text someone else when her boyfriend was right there? Wouldn't she talk to him about it instead of texting someone else? Or could she have texted the friend as a way to say goodbye, and as a way of clearing her boyfriend and his roommate?

I think it's a little shady that her boyfriend was allowed to wash his hands and change his clothes, and maybe even a little strange that this was a priority for him after he had just found his girlfriend dead. I also don't believe that allowing his parents onto the property before LE had arrived was a wise move, even if it is a suicide I would assume the scene would have to be processed. And even though he was a police dispatcher (which might explain the calm way in which he handled the situation), it kind of sounds that he wasn't showing any kind of emotion at the loss of his girlfriend. This might have been because he was in shock though.

In saying this, I'm certainly not pointing fingers at anyone; even though the facts don't seem to add up I don't know if I've seen enough information to make an informed decision.

http://www.carbondaletimes.com/020413inquest

ISP Special Agent Aaron Cooper testified Thursday that in the 24 hours preceding her death, Young exchanged a series of bleak text messages with Minton and his roommate, Wesley Romack, in which she admitted a desire to end her life and confessed to attempting a drug overdose March 23. Analysis of her computer revealed that she had searched that day for information about suicide, Cooper said.

xicology reports showed Young tested positive for a level of the anxiety drug Lorazepam that fell well below the therapeutic range. She also tested positive for antihistamines that fell within the therapeutic range. Aside from caffeine, no other substance was found in her system.

So the what about this?

in the 24 hours preceding her death, Young exchanged a series of bleak text messages with Minton and his roommate, Wesley Romack, in which she admitted a desire to end her life and confessed to attempting a drug overdose March 23.

I think these two messed with her phone. There is a lot of believable rumor out there on this one, and one of them (family's Facebook page) is that one of them changed the time zone on her phone, and got caught because they forgot to change it back.

It's important to remember, too, that text messages can be sent by anyone. I also find the flurry of text messages strange, why text someone else when her boyfriend was right there? Wouldn't she talk to him about it instead of texting someone else? Or could she have texted the friend as a way to say goodbye, and as a way of clearing her boyfriend and his roommate?

I think it's a little shady that her boyfriend was allowed to wash his hands and change his clothes, and maybe even a little strange that this was a priority for him after he had just found his girlfriend dead. I also don't believe that allowing his parents onto the property before LE had arrived was a wise move, even if it is a suicide I would assume the scene would have to be processed. And even though he was a police dispatcher (which might explain the calm way in which he handled the situation), it kind of sounds that he wasn't showing any kind of emotion at the loss of his girlfriend. This might have been because he was in shock though.

In saying this, I'm certainly not pointing fingers at anyone; even though the facts don't seem to add up I don't know if I've seen enough information to make an informed decision.

Oddly enough, PH, these texts were to the roommate. But we don't know when.

One burning question I have is--

Where was the gun found and by whom?

Molly Young

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 378
Sort of easy to see what happened here, but that doesn't mean it could be proven with objective testimony delivered under oath in a court of law.

Sort of easy to see what happened here, but that doesn't mean it could be proven with objective testimony delivered under oath in a court of law.

Seems like the hurdle here is actually getting any objective testimony into a court of law...

Oddly enough, PH, these texts were to the roommate. But we don't know when.

Wow, I don't know how I missed that, thanks!

Either the room mate or Minton obviously know more than they are letting on. Even if Molly had done this to herself, there's no way neither of them would have woken to the gun shot.

I just wonder why this doesn't seem to have really been looked into very thoroughly by LE...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back