VA - Alexis Murphy, 17, Shipman, 3 Aug 2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
17-year-old Alexis Murphy was last seen at approximately 7:15 pm on Saturday, August 3. Her car was found abandoned a few days later. Alexis is still missing.

alexis-murphy-2.jpg
alexissurv1_296.jpg
alexsurv2_296.png

Anyone with any information on Alexis Murphy is asked to call the the Nelson County Sheriff's Office tip line at 434-263-7050.

Case Map - http://goo.gl/maps/zJRgO

Thread #1

Please continue here and remember the rules. You can find them right here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

AND don't overlook these!!!!

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally, sleuthing family members that are not suspect is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed. Unless the minors are the victims, please do not post their name, only their initials.

Thanks.

Bringing my last post over for IHAVENOCLUE

Let me see if I am reading this correctly...

FBI shows pic of a man to business employees of Ultimate Bliss and Quick Pik...

Employees say they haven't seen AM...

But nothing is reported about the inquiries into if they saw the MAN... Correct?

SOOO... The owners MAY have seen the man in the pic...

(Or not, of course.)

Hope this makes sense!

Correct. A careful reading of that article says much more in what it doesn't say than what it says, IMO. The fact that they gave the FBI their video leads me to believe they have either seen this man or think they did.

Additionally, if the FBI were looking for random people at random places all over town, we'd be hearing more from other businesses and about more than one man and one picture. Again, the location in the article (at the end) where the FBI concedes they were looking for 'people who may or may not be associated' is nothing more than a general confirmation via a journalist's follow up where they had to minimize the damage caused by Bliss' revelations because the story was going to print whether they liked it or not.

Also, the phrase "seen with Alexis on OTHER video."

Thought I'd bring over Moxie's post so any new folks would have the gist of the article we are referring to, as well as the link.

MoxieThyme said:
From the article... It says they said they did not see her in the stores:

FBI agents are showing pictures of a man to business owners in Charlottesville as part of the Alexis Murphy case.

Federal agents descended on the Ultimate Bliss adult shop and Quick Pik convenience store on Angus Road Saturday afternoon. Employees at both locations said agents showed them photographs of a man and questioned them about Murphy. Both say they did not see the 17-year-old.

Ultimate Bliss turned over surveillance video to investigators.

The FBI has confirmed agents are showing photos of people seen in close proximity to Murphy on other surveillance cameras and attempting to identify those people.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/23101835/...to-murphy-case

Bringing my last post over for IHAVENOCLUE

Correct. A careful reading of that article says much more in what it doesn't say than what it says, IMO. The fact that they gave the FBI their video leads me to believe they have either seen this man or think they did.

Additionally, if the FBI were looking for random people at random places all over town, we'd be hearing more from other businesses and about more than one man and one picture. Again, the location in the article (at the end) where the FBI concedes they were looking for 'people who may or may not be associated' is nothing more than a general confirmation via a journalist's follow up where they had to minimize the damage caused by Bliss' revelations because the story was going to print whether they liked it or not.

BBM I think it could mean you can't trust peoples memory too.

I wouldn't have believed how difficult it is to remember a face until I tried to put together a composite drawing of the face of someone I knew well. I was using a version of Identi-Kit at a local exhibition a few years ago and discovered it was a really tricky proposition. At least for me. So many noses, all different, yet somehow the same when I stared at them.
Maybe face recognition software has at least a slight edge when it comes to positively identifying someone. JMO.

Just wanted to point out that AM could've been at the adult store for less surprising reasons. Having once been a bored high school kid in an area similar to AM's, I'll say that outside of blatant "tobacco shops," they're one of the only places that sell "tobacco" pipes and other related paraphernalia. They rarely card..

Thanks for brand spanking new thread, SWMNBN! :seeya:

This is just speculation, but maybe they have checked all her electronic info. and maybe she was willing to meet a man at the gas station. And maybe it was her and his idea to go to the *advertiser censored* shop, and her being only 17 she decided against it. I'm not trying to judge her I'm just thinking of something I would have possibly done at 17 if the right guy asked. I kind of feel like they have some info to know where to look. Or at least they think they do. If I'm right they would have been seen some other place together as well. I could be all wrong, I'm just trying to come up with ideas of possibilities.

I'll have to go back and check the previous thread, but is there anything further about the possible sighting of Alexis Murphy's car on Cannery Loop last weekend? I remember a woman saying a white car seemed out of place when it took the "wrong exit" onto the highway, one no one familiar with the area would take.
So, if it was her car, then whoever had control of it was driving in a way that attracted attention because it was a new area.
Or, possibly, someone was searching for the cell phone to either turn it off and make sure it wasn't found, or to use it.

I'm not trying to judge her I'm just thinking of something I would have possibly done at 17 if the right guy asked.

In missing persons cases, I have absolutely no problem with adult shops, compared to, say, Home Depot.

So glad I went to sleep only to wake up to new developments!!!

Just to carry over a comment from the last thread, I also don't think the craigslist ad has anything to do with the store. Whoever placed it is probably using the word Bliss to get people to think they're affiliated with the store, but you'd have to be pretty stupid to answer what looks like a prostitution ad online. I do tend to think that if there's video of a man who has been seen on video in two locations with AM 30 miles apart, that's hugely significant. And, this information, LE probably got from a tip, because the area is just too spread out, even the shopping strip in Charlottesville, for anyone to make a connection randomly.

Surveillance where AM's car was found? I can't say for sure, but I can't see the cameras at the theater or ACAC being able to see that far, given the angles, dips, hills and trees. And, the plaza was barely occupied before Pier 1 moved. So, IDK, possibly they're comparing surveillance at the gas station and the adult shop.

Just wanted to point out that AM could've been at the adult store for less surprising reasons. Having once been a bored high school kid in an area similar to AM's, I'll say that outside of blatant "tobacco shops," they're one of the only places that sell "tobacco" pipes and other related paraphernalia. They rarely card..

Very true. And, if some man saw her and got obsessed with her, he may have followed her home. Thankfully, that's never happened to me in the U.S., but it did happen to me one time when I was on vacation abroad. But, it could happen if the person thought she was attractive or whatever. Takes me back to my stalking theory. But, who knows at this point.

Yeah I don't believe she's naive enough to respond to an ad for prostitution -- especially one that doesn't pay.

What led them to this area? Are they tracking phone pings of another person?

By the way, I just want to throw this out there. Women may buy lingerie for their honeymoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail