Judge orders parents to change son's name because only Jesus earned name Messiah

Hopeful One

Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
(it was really hard trying to title this thread without it being a paragraph long!)

How can a judge do this?? I don't understand.

A judge has ordered a seven-month-old baby's parents to change his name from Messiah to Martin after they appeared before her in a dispute about the child's surname.

Instead, the pair were ordered to change the baby's first name, because, according to the judge, only one person earned the name Messiah, 'and that one person is Jesus Christ'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389673/Messiah-baby-changed-Tennessee-judge-orders-parents-change-sons-Martin.html

Wow, just wow! There are many people already named this. Probably hundreds of thousands (maybe much more) Hispanics named Jesus...I don't know what this judge is thinking either.

Mind you, I would not name my child a name like this. It would make me very uncomfortable. But this is still America. I see this judgment getting knocked down before we can get a thread on it moving!

I think the whole lot of them are terminally stupid.

With the possible exception of little Martin.

Wow, just wow! There are many people already named this. Probably hundreds of thousands (maybe much more) Hispanics named Jesus...I don't what this judge is thinking either.

Mind you, I would name my child a name like this. It would make me very uncomfortable. But this is still America. I see this judgment getting knocked down before we can get a thread on it moving!

I know! I wouldn't choose the name but how can a judge do that? It doesn't seem right.

I think the whole lot of them are terminally stupid.

With the possible exception of little Martin.

:floorlaugh: Amen, sista!

God, Jesus, Jehovah, Buddha, Allah, Zoroaster..etc. etc., I do so hate having religion jammed down my throat. It probably will & should be thrown out. And my uncle has Jesus as a middle name, along with Maria. Can't change birth certificate, judge, its in Spain.

God, Jesus, Jehovah, Buddha, Allah, Zoroaster..etc. etc., I do so hate having religion jammed down my throat. It probably will & should be thrown out. And my uncle has Jesus as a middle name, along with Maria. Can't change birth certificate, judge, its in Spain.

Do you mean the judge's ruling will/should be thrown out or the mom's appeal will be thrown out?

I don't understand either. :stormingmad: How can the judge legally invoke Jesus and base a legal order on his belief in Jesus' existence as the Messiah??? Are there laws limiting what a child can be named? I'd like to see how those laws are worded, if there are any. Also, since when can't you name your child a title? There are hundreds of people named "Earl," "Duke," "Baron," "Countess," and "Queenie."

I don't understand either. :stormingmad: How can the judge legally invoke Jesus and base a legal order on his belief in Jesus' existence as the Messiah??? Are there laws limiting what a child can be named? I'd like to see how those laws are worded, if there are any. Also, since when can't you name your child a title? There are hundreds of people named "Earl," "Duke," "Baron," "Countess," and "Queenie."

This. This judges personal religious beliefs have ZERO place in a court room! They have to name their son Martin, because the judge said so? Unreal!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

This. This judges personal religious beliefs have ZERO place in a court room! They have to name their son Martin, because the judge said so? Unreal!

Yep!

If names could be outlawed, I'd have a list the size of Texas to add to it. However, we are in the United States of America and are free to name our child Apple or Celery or Doug or God or Rumer or whatever else we choose, no matter if a judge likes it or not.

This is really bothering me. :banghead:

Yep!

If names could be outlawed, I'd have a list the size of Texas to add to it. However, we are in the United States of America and are free to name our child Apple or Celery or Doug or God or Rumer or whatever else we choose, no matter if a judge likes it or not.

Exactly! I hear ya HO. Imagine if (in the good ole land of the free) Judges everywhere were allowed to make rulings based on "their own" personal beliefs? What if these parents were agnostic? Or atheists? I'll tell you why were angry... Its UNAmerican. I have a feeling this ruling will be thrown out, though. [Let's hope so!]

Yep!

Me too, that's right we should be able to name our children what ever name we choose. With that said I do feel sorry/bad for people that in my view were given names that are in my opinion not very well thought about. Some names I have a hard enough time trying to pronoun I can't imagine going through life forever telling people how to say my name. Personally I think gweneth paltrow (sp) is silly for naming her son moses. jmo

Yep!

What's wrong with Doug? :eek:

It's a woman judge and when she was interviewed it was CLEARLY a ruling she made on her own personal opinion and beliefs. She obviously did NO research-- as the SSA states that Messiah is now the number 4 most popular name for boys being registered at the current time.

There are clearly no laws regulating what a child can be named.....the Hollywood "elite" have certainly proved that true!

I know! I wouldn't choose the name but how can a judge do that? It doesn't seem right.

:floorlaugh: Amen, sista!

I agree, IMO this judge overstepped her authority. How can a judge tell a parent what they can or can not name their child, due to the judge's religious beliefs? This is outrageous and just who does this judge think she is? God?

This case is going to get overturned on appeal. The judge should be reprimanded since it doesn't sound like her ruling is based on law.

Are there actual laws forbidding certain names? Can one name their kid Satan if they choose?

Me too, that's right we should be able to name our children what ever name we choose. With that said I do feel sorry/bad for people that in my view were given names that are in my opinion not very well thought about. Some names I have a hard enough time trying to pronoun I can't imagine going through life forever telling people how to say my name. Personally I think gweneth paltrow (sp) is silly for naming her son moses. jmo

:floorlaugh: I agree, the latest crazy name in my opinion is North West. Celebrities are always trying to outdo each other in ridiculous names. This judge is mixing up Church and State IMO.

ETA. Where was this judge when Michael Jackson named his child "Blanket".....GMAB

How is anyone jamming anything down your throat?

How can the judge do this?? He/She can't. The seperation of church and state. This judge's beliefs have no room in our court system.
When I was preggers my aunt told me...when naming this child rememeber he will be a 40 year old man someday.

How can the judge do this?? He/She can't. The seperation of church and state. This judge's beliefs have no room in our court system.
When I was preggers my aunt told me...when naming this child rememeber he will be a 40 year old man someday.

That's funny!! My stepmom used to say that it will be really strange when nursing homes are full of Tiffanys and Kaitlyns and Hunters instead of Marys and Mabels and Johns. Not to mention all of the crazy spellings parents are making up these days.

Can you imagine a 93-yo Mah-Kcenzyie or Sparrow or something of the sort? :floorlaugh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back