1019 users online (163 members and 856 guests)  

Websleuths News

NYPD Cop: cyber kiddie sex fiend

Michael Costello seemed like a dedicated cop, working for the last 11 years as a youth officer in Astoria, Queens. He was polite and responsive to neighborhood groups as he handled young offenders and led the 114th Precinct's law enforcement Explorers Club.
    "He was always a gentleman," said George Delis, district manager for Community Board 1. "He always followed up. He mostly dealt with the schools. He seemed like a decent fellow."

No one thought anything of it when Costello formed bonds with kids.

Until now.

Costello, 39, was arrested 10 days ago after he secretly trolled the Internet, boldly soliciting sex from young people, authorities said.

Last week, cops at his stationhouse told investigators Costello seemed "unusually close" with at least one of the Explorers, a law enforcement source said.

The cyber squad patrols chat rooms, hunting online sexual predators, identity thieves and robbers. Smith studies up by reading Teen People magazine and immersing himself in cultural trends.

The computer crimes unit has nabbed men in all walks of life, including a West Point sergeant, a rabbi, a soccer coach and teachers. Smith once said the door to his unit's office in Police Headquarters is always closed because "for all we know, there are times when I'm chatting with someone in this very building."

In Costello's case, that wasn't far off, though police seized his home computer.

"He seemed to be a model cop. The NYPD was his whole life," said a law enforcement source.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...p-255334c.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

LazyCat08 is offline I may not be Glenn Beck, but I am a thinker......

Exclamation Can someone please tell me WHAT THE F*CK is WRONG with these people???

WHY DO GROWN MEN (and women in some cases) WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH CHILDREN??????
    They obviously can't comprehend the damage that they do to their victims -- These "people" are truly sick! I can't even verbalize how furious this stuff makes me!
    bhp

There was a case several years back, maybe a decade or so, involving an officer in Louisiana who worked with kids who'd been sexually abused/assaulted and he ended up sexually abusing the victims. I think it was down around Slidell, Louisiana, but maybe closer to New Orleans. I wonder sometimes if looking at all the pics. and hearing all the horror does something to these men and some of them just step over the line.

A former Queens cop who worked with neighborhood kids during his 14-year police career will do six months in jail after admitting he tried to solicit sex on the Internet from a detective posing as a teenage boy.

Following his release, Costello will serve 10 years' probation and enroll in a sex-offender treatment program.
    http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/56194.htm
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight