Baby camera hacked in TX

longtallcold

What happened to Nancy Jenkins?
Reaction score
Website
www.websleuths.com
That's so scary. I'm glad the dad was listening.

That is really scary. I suspect hackers as well. Scary thing is anything connected to the Internet or has a computer can be hacked.

OMG!!!

Parents try to protect their babies from these horrible predators and they're finding a way right into homes and nurseries?! Could they see the baby or just talk to her?

I want to find this sob and shoot him - right in the mouth so that he can never say disgusting things again.

(I don't actually own a gun ... just venting)

I'm saving up for a video surveillance system which I've been planning on getting for a while. I'm only going to have the cameras (no audio) set up outside but will have the footage saved digitally.

It will be connected to my computer so that means hackable!? I've never heard of that before.

It's a good thing this dad's camera had a speaker because if he hadn't heard that creeper talking to his baby, he may have never known the weirdo was watching her and who knows what he would have seen or how long it would have gone on.

Question: Was this a typical nursery/security camera or some kind of new baby monitor thingie that now has video included?

Back when my kids were little the baby monitors were just sort of like walkie talkies but my house was so small, I didn't need one. A friend of mine told me her neighbor had to come over and tell her that their baby monitors were on the same frequency or something because he could hear everything that was going on in her house over his monitor.

ETA: From what I can tell from this article http://www.ktnv.com/news/national/Warning-Baby-monitor-in-Texas-hacked-219409611.html it was a baby monitor that has video as well as audio, that the creeper hacked, and it wasn't a surveillance system. That makes me wonder if he just had his own monitor and they were on the same frequency (similar to my friend's situation above) and he didn't really need to "hack" but just had to watch and listen using his own monitor.

I do not even know what to say to this.
This may sound really old fashioned but somedays, I just feel like our technological advances are not all such a good thing..

Lots more details with video here: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/08/baby-monitor-hacking-alarms-houston-parents/

Quote:

A Houston couple is still shaken after hearing the voice of a strange man cursing and making lewd comments in the bedroom of their 2-year-old daughter.
When Marc Gilbert and his wife Laura entered the room, the voice cursed them as well.
The eerie voice — which had a British or European accent — was coming from the family’s baby monitor that was also equipped with a camera. A hacker had taken over the monitor.

-------------------

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/baby-video-monitors-invite-burglars/story?id=11992731

Details on how these monitors are "hacked". If you use surveillance hooked up to your encrypted wifi it's a lot harder to hack. By using just the plain audio/video monitor, which an ABC reporter put on the dashboard of his car as he drove around, he was able to see images of babies in their bedrooms.

I do not even know what to say to this.
This may sound really old fashioned but somedays, I just feel like our technological advances are not all such a good thing..

Oh I agree,I love my laptop and tablet with internet but it makes it a whole lot easier for people to see into your life and things like that.

It's probably some stupid azz kids but I would still be popping my pants

Sent from my 'alternate reality' using my hippocampus

Lots more details with video here: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/08/baby-monitor-hacking-alarms-houston-parents/

Quote:

A Houston couple is still shaken after hearing the voice of a strange man cursing and making lewd comments in the bedroom of their 2-year-old daughter.
When Marc Gilbert and his wife Laura entered the room, the voice cursed them as well.
The eerie voice — which had a British or European accent — was coming from the family’s baby monitor that was also equipped with a camera. A hacker had taken over the monitor.

-------------------

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/baby-video-monitors-invite-burglars/story?id=11992731

Details on how these monitors are "hacked". If you use surveillance hooked up to your encrypted wifi it's a lot harder to hack. By using just the plain audio/video monitor, which an ABC reporter put on the dashboard of his car as he drove around, he was able to see images of babies in their bedrooms.

Jesus, really?!?!?

Have none of you ever heard other people on your baby monitors .When my daughter was a baby we had monitors just the listening ones and you constantlly pick up any one using a portable telephone thats just the way airwaves work . Im not saying any of this is ok im just saying i have heard people on them before and god knows what thier talking about heck one time we heard about the neibhour telling her best gf that she was cheating on her husband lol .As for the video ones heck I wouldn't trust them as for as far as i could throw them out the window any video feed like that your just asking to be hacked .

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel1987
Back