1371 users online (290 members and 1081 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AL - Bennett 'Bo' Smith, 4 mos, dies in hot car, Anniston, 9 Aug 2013

Daily Mail:

Army Sergeant mother is 'devastated' after four-month-old baby Bo died when
    she left him in a hot car for FIVE HOURS - as she is charged with manslaughter

The army sergeant mother in Anniston, Alabama, charged with the manslaughter of her four-month-old boy by leaving him in a hot car is 'devastated' - but denies she committed a crime.

Sergeant First Class Katherine Papke, 35, claims she forgot to drop her son Bennett Owen Smith at day care after taking her two daughters, aged eight and seven to school.

Leaving her baby 'Bo' in the hot car for over five hours, Papke's attorney says she returned to her 2013 Toyota minivan at around 2 p.m. and realized to her horror that he child was still in the back seat.
    ---
    more, with pictures, at link above

So sad.

Should she be charged?

I think she should be charged. Her baby suffered a horrible death because she forgot about him.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I never see the sense in charging in these cases where it is a matter of forgetting, and nothing more (for example, leaving child deliberately to go shop, or do drugs, or you forgot because you were drunk or high). There is no intent, there isn't even a real negligence. It happens across all socioeconomic, racial, and age groups. Many of the parents this happens to are described as the best parents by those who know them.

There's no worse punishment than the hell these parents will go through in their own hearts and minds for the rest of their lives.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Yes, she should be charged. There is no excuse for forgetting your own child and legally she is responsible for his welfare and care.

When these cases start being charged and tried in the courts, they will make parents more aware of their responsibilities and reduce these types of cases.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I don't believe bringing charges will have any effect whatsoever on parents whose only crime is to have been rushed, and to have forgotten.

However, I'm not saying charges should not be brought.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Should she be charged?
    Yes. Though I doubt it will matter... Nothing can possibly be worse than knowing you we're the reason for your child's death.

It's a known danger to tired moms with busy schedules, it happens summer after summer. It's also 100% preventable. She could have and should have set up safe guards. My purse rides next to the carseat wether my DD is in the car or not. The preschool will call me within an hour of dropoff if she was a no show. If sticking a "don't forget the baby!" Note on the steering wheel helps then do it.

I don't have any problems with people being charged for leaving their children in cars. If she were a babysitter and not a mother, would anybody argue she shouldn't be charged?
    Just my opinion

I have a hard time judging parents who unintentionally leave children in the car. No one seems to think it can happen to them. However, in my opinion, the rules about carseats being in the back combined with parents going back to work too soon and the wiring in our brain leads me to really sympathize with many of these parents. I know I have had altered my routine in some small way only to realize that I took the road to work and not to daycare by default... Here is a well written story...

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...sue-class-trip

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

I believe it can happen. But what if someone did it on purpose and used that excuse? We would never know.

I believe she should be charged: child neglect first degree, homicide 2nd. OR involuntary manslaughter at very least. You don't EVER forget your child. Sorry; life is not that busy for anyone. IF it is; you have issues. Having a child in the car, isn't an OOOPS. I hope they arrest and charge.
    Dont Be A Sheep

Yes she should be charged. How do you go about forgetting a child a life just because you are in a hurry. Get better organized, after all we are talking about an actual life here..
    Last edited by Trvl4Lyfe; 08-15-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    This justice system is so one-sided on so many levels...

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Should she be charged?
    Absolutely. You know I have often wondered why I never hear about children being left in cars in the winter to die, just the summer. jmo
    Just know one thing, I am the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Myanna View Post
    I have a hard time judging parents who unintentionally leave children in the car. No one seems to think it can happen to them. However, in my opinion, the rules about carseats being in the back combined with parents going back to work too soon and the wiring in our brain leads me to really sympathize with many of these parents. I know I have had altered my routine in some small way only to realize that I took the road to work and not to daycare by default... Here is a well written story...

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...sue-class-trip

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2
    I've posted this article a number of times--thanks for beating me to it, Myanna!

For anyone here who thinks this woman should be charged, that she was neglectful, that YOU would never do something like this...if you haven't before, read the WP article--in it's entirety. It's a long read, and not easy, but read it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast