GUILTY AL - Bennett 'Bo' Smith, 4 mos, dies in hot car, Anniston, 9 Aug 2013

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Daily Mail:

Army Sergeant mother is 'devastated' after four-month-old baby Bo died when
she left him in a hot car for FIVE HOURS - as she is charged with manslaughter

The army sergeant mother in Anniston, Alabama, charged with the manslaughter of her four-month-old boy by leaving him in a hot car is 'devastated' - but denies she committed a crime.

Sergeant First Class Katherine Papke, 35, claims she forgot to drop her son Bennett Owen Smith at day care after taking her two daughters, aged eight and seven to school.

Leaving her baby 'Bo' in the hot car for over five hours, Papke's attorney says she returned to her 2013 Toyota minivan at around 2 p.m. and realized to her horror that he child was still in the back seat.
---
more, with pictures, at link above

I think she should be charged. Her baby suffered a horrible death because she forgot about him.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I never see the sense in charging in these cases where it is a matter of forgetting, and nothing more (for example, leaving child deliberately to go shop, or do drugs, or you forgot because you were drunk or high). There is no intent, there isn't even a real negligence. It happens across all socioeconomic, racial, and age groups. Many of the parents this happens to are described as the best parents by those who know them.

There's no worse punishment than the hell these parents will go through in their own hearts and minds for the rest of their lives.

Yes, she should be charged. There is no excuse for forgetting your own child and legally she is responsible for his welfare and care.

When these cases start being charged and tried in the courts, they will make parents more aware of their responsibilities and reduce these types of cases.

I don't believe bringing charges will have any effect whatsoever on parents whose only crime is to have been rushed, and to have forgotten.

However, I'm not saying charges should not be brought.

Should she be charged?

Yes. Though I doubt it will matter... Nothing can possibly be worse than knowing you we're the reason for your child's death.

It's a known danger to tired moms with busy schedules, it happens summer after summer. It's also 100% preventable. She could have and should have set up safe guards. My purse rides next to the carseat wether my DD is in the car or not. The preschool will call me within an hour of dropoff if she was a no show. If sticking a "don't forget the baby!" Note on the steering wheel helps then do it.

I don't have any problems with people being charged for leaving their children in cars. If she were a babysitter and not a mother, would anybody argue she shouldn't be charged?

I have a hard time judging parents who unintentionally leave children in the car. No one seems to think it can happen to them. However, in my opinion, the rules about carseats being in the back combined with parents going back to work too soon and the wiring in our brain leads me to really sympathize with many of these parents. I know I have had altered my routine in some small way only to realize that I took the road to work and not to daycare by default... Here is a well written story...

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009-03-08/news/36840402_1_courtroom-tissue-class-trip

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

I believe it can happen. But what if someone did it on purpose and used that excuse? We would never know.

I believe she should be charged: child neglect first degree, homicide 2nd. OR involuntary manslaughter at very least. You don't EVER forget your child. Sorry; life is not that busy for anyone. IF it is; you have issues. Having a child in the car, isn't an OOOPS. I hope they arrest and charge.

Yes she should be charged. How do you go about forgetting a child a life just because you are in a hurry. Get better organized, after all we are talking about an actual life here.. :twocents:

I have a hard time judging parents who unintentionally leave children in the car. No one seems to think it can happen to them. However, in my opinion, the rules about carseats being in the back combined with parents going back to work too soon and the wiring in our brain leads me to really sympathize with many of these parents. I know I have had altered my routine in some small way only to realize that I took the road to work and not to daycare by default... Here is a well written story...

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009-03-08/news/36840402_1_courtroom-tissue-class-trip

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

I've posted this article a number of times--thanks for beating me to it, Myanna!

For anyone here who thinks this woman should be charged, that she was neglectful, that YOU would never do something like this...if you haven't before, read the WP article--in it's entirety. It's a long read, and not easy, but read it.

My mother gave me some wise advice. She said, always put your purse in the back of the car on the floor in front of the car seat. I did that and never again even came close to forgetting him!

I didn't get 9 months of pregnancy as I adopted. My biggest fear was forgetting him in the car. I did the first week I had him. Luckily, I made it to my front door when a nagging made me stop and think. I knew I was forgetting something! Whew!!!

I've posted this article a number of times--thanks for beating me to it, Myanna!

For anyone here who thinks this woman should be charged, that she was neglectful, that YOU would never do something like this...if you haven't before, read the WP article--in it's entirety. It's a long read, and not easy, but read it.

Great article. One piece really stood out at me. They gave examples of some of the awful things people will post on article comments about these parents, then:

...These were readers' online comments to The Washington Post news article of July 10, 2008, reporting the circumstances of the death of Miles Harrison's son. These comments were typical of many others, and they are typical of what happens again and again, year after year in community after community, when these cases arise. A substantial proportion of the public reacts not merely with anger, but with frothing vitriol.

Ed Hickling believes he knows why. Hickling is a clinical psychologist from Albany, N.Y., who has studied the effects of fatal auto accidents on the drivers who survive them. He says these people are often judged with disproportionate harshness by the public, even when it was clearly an accident, and even when it was indisputably not their fault.

Humans, Hickling said, have a fundamental need to create and maintain a narrative for their lives in which the universe is not implacable and heartless, that terrible things do not happen at random, and that catastrophe can be avoided if you are vigilant and responsible.

In hyperthermia cases, he believes, the parents are demonized for much the same reasons. "We are vulnerable, but we don't want to be reminded of that. We want to believe that the world is understandable and controllable and unthreatening, that if we follow the rules, we'll be okay. So, when this kind of thing happens to other people, we need to put them in a different category from us. We don't want to resemble them, and the fact that we might is too terrifying to deal with. So, they have to be monsters."

We see this kind of harsh judgement of parents a lot on crime cases, even when the parents did nothing more than let a child play or walk to school alone. People have pointed out the "it won't happen to me" incentive for people to vilify the parents on posts I've read, but the article explains it very clearly.

My mother gave me some wise advice. She said, always put your purse in the back of the car on the floor in front of the car seat. I did that and never again even came close to forgetting him!

I didn't get 9 months of pregnancy as I adopted. My biggest fear was forgetting him in the car. I did the first week I had him. Luckily, I made it to my front door when a nagging made me stop and think. I knew I was forgetting something! Whew!!!

So you would never forget your purse....not a judgment call, I find this would be a hard case to prosecute IMO heartbreaking and something that would happen, she dropped the other kids off, why not this one. Let her grieve, her guilt will be unbelievable.

I am so tired of the prosecution of innocent well meaning people who do things that they cannot imagine would ever happen to them but then does. Busy people do not make nor mean that they are uncaring and neglectful people, life is fast and busy and tough give this mother a break. IMO

So you would never forget your purse....not a judgment call, I find this would be a hard case to prosecute IMO heartbreaking and something that would happen, she dropped the other kids off, why not this one. Let her grieve, her guilt will be unbelievable.

Yep, I was used to taking my purse everywhere. Taking baby everywhere was brand new to me!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back